Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:34 am
It's not even about attracing AEW fans, why would would want that. It should be about attracting ROH/Marty fans, I think that's what alot of these guys are finding out, it's not who you are but who run with that people care about and interested. I imagine to some that isn't what they want for their careers. Will be ineteresting to see the full out if he does stay.
I think we are thinking along the same lines, but I said ROH should try and attract AEW fans because they clearly care about Marty, yet not ROH. If I’m ROH I’m trying to attract ALL wrestling fans. Like there’s probably at least a million people that know about ROH, yet how many people actually watch the tv show weekly?? I’m guessing less than 40k, and that’s generous.

Long story short, understand better leadership, they could be doing much bigger business... as many ROh fans have given up on the product.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 am
kovs27 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:05 am 6 matches officially announced. You'd imagine their would be a WOH match plus Alex Shelley was mentioned to be signed for the show.
without a match

brody king
jeff cobb
dan maff
tracy williams
alex shelley
tyler bateman
kenny king
dalton castle
joe hendry
josh woods
silas young
the bouncers
Cobb vs. Maff is oficial. I can see them doing Silas/Woods vs. Castle/Hendry too.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I hope they don't do more than 8 matches, maybe 9 counting preshow. Let everyone have enough time to tell their stories and have some awesome matches. Some of the minor stuff can be handled in Philly at Fall Out.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

This card is so weird...
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

ROH World Champion Rush defending against PCO
ROH Tag Team Champions The Briscoes defending against Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham
ROH Television Champion Shane Taylor defending against Dragon Lee
Matt Taven vs. Vincent Marseglia
Mark Haskins (w/ Vicky Haskins) vs. Bully Ray in a street fight
Jeff Cobb vs. Dan Maff
Marty Scurll & Flip Gordon vs. Bandido & Flamita
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am This card is so weird...
Yeah, seems odd for sure.

I assume the original plan was for Taven vs. Rush at Final Battle... and they changed it up. Don't think Dragon Lee vs. Shane Taylor was the long term plan for the TV title either. I'm fine with Briscoes vs. Lethal & Gresham, Taven vs. Vincent, and even Haskins vs. Bully ray (even though Haskins may have been better served elsewhere)

The rest are good matches but thrown together. Gotta imagine the booking didnt know exactly who would be at the show, but still think they should have been able to do a lot more. Especially for someone like Dalton Castle, who was main eventing 2 years ago. I'm also curious if Brody King will wrestle and against who??

Really hope things turn around in 2020 for ROH.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

So 2 matches worth watching with the chance to be off the charts? SMH
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ROH World Champion Rush defending against PCO -- Should be good but doesn't feel like a main event match
ROH Tag Team Champions The Briscoes defending against Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham -- should be great
ROH Television Champion Shane Taylor defending against Dragon Lee -- should be good
Matt Taven vs. Vincent Marseglia -- no
Mark Haskins (w/ Vicky Haskins) vs. Bully Ray in a street fight -- no
Jeff Cobb vs. Dan Maff -- should be good but kind of out of nowhere
Marty Scurll & Flip Gordon vs. Bandido & Flamita -- should be great
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I don't think this falls wildly off from other PPV cards this year or basically any other past 2015. Final Battle rarely winds up being show of the year anyway. The only thing I'm down about is having Bully Ray on the card for a preposterous third year in a row and, as Montana pointed out, it is so frustrating to see him in a spot like this while Dalton might not even make the main show.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

As thrown together as it is that Final Battle card looks really fucking good. Is it full of dream matches? No. But every match (sans the bully ray match which won't be as bad as people are making it out to be, they just don't wanna see Ray in 2019.) Is fresh and has the potential to be great.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Please book Shelley vs Williams!!!

There is zero build and apparently they arent even pushing the ppv on the tv show. No card run downs...nothing.

its hard to have any faith going into 2020.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

indyfan wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:11 am Please book Shelley vs Williams!!!

There is zero build and apparently they arent even pushing the ppv on the tv show. No card run downs...nothing.

its hard to have any faith going into 2020.
I agree with Shelley/Williams needing to be on the card.

This year is the first year where it really felt like ROH didn’t care about in-ring stuff anymore. Sure, in past years the in-ring quality had fallen off considerably. But 2019 is where they just went full WWE-lite. Now, it’s like they have to find reasons to put Marseglia, Bully Ray, Beer City Bruiser on cards. It’s definitely not a company that caters to fans of technical wrestling anymore. Now it’s just bland shows that nobody cares about.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Does anyone think Klein will defend the title at Final Battle? Has she already wrestled her last match?
alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:27 am This year is the first year where it really felt like ROH didn’t care about in-ring stuff anymore. Sure, in past years the in-ring quality had fallen off considerably. But 2019 is where they just went full WWE-lite. Now, it’s like they have to find reasons to put Marseglia, Bully Ray, Beer City Bruiser on cards. It’s definitely not a company that caters to fans of technical wrestling anymore. Now it’s just bland shows that nobody cares about.
Even for an EXTREMELY on-again, off-again year like this one, I think 2019 is their best overall year since 2016. To be honest, the three names you mentioned felt like they took a much bigger backseat compared to prior years. Villain Enterprises, Lifeblood tags, World Title defenses, Briscoe tags, and Gresham/Lethal tags have been high quality all year. But I do agree that it does share WWE's apathy toward its own product.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am Does anyone think Klein will defend the title at Final Battle? Has she already wrestled her last match?
alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:27 am This year is the first year where it really felt like ROH didn’t care about in-ring stuff anymore. Sure, in past years the in-ring quality had fallen off considerably. But 2019 is where they just went full WWE-lite. Now, it’s like they have to find reasons to put Marseglia, Bully Ray, Beer City Bruiser on cards. It’s definitely not a company that caters to fans of technical wrestling anymore. Now it’s just bland shows that nobody cares about.
Even for an EXTREMELY on-again, off-again year like this one, I think 2019 is their best overall year since 2016. To be honest, the three names you mentioned felt like they took a much bigger backseat compared to prior years. Villain Enterprises, Lifeblood tags, World Title defenses, Briscoe tags, and Gresham/Lethal tags have been high quality all year. But I do agree that it does share WWE's apathy toward its own product.
I think even if Kelly was staying she still wasn't wrestling at Final Battle due to her concussion.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, highly unlikely for Klein to defend at this point at final battle. Maybe they can work something out down the road, but think some changes need to happen first.

Also, I could have sworn at one of the shows they said Angelina love and Maria Manic would wrestle at final battle, with it being Maria’s debut. Don’t think we need 2 WOH matches at Final Battle.

As for Alex Shelley , I think you can put him with almost anyone without a match. Tracey sounds good, but I like the Shelley vs Dalton Castle match better. Although I think ROh is going to do something with Castle and Hendry. (Also seems like they were going for Tracey and Bateman, but I think that may be going on at fallout now)
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Montana wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 am (Also seems like they were going for Tracey and Bateman, but I think that may be going on at fallout now)
This is so weird to me. They could have these young guys tear the house down and really make Bateman into a big deal. But no, Bully Ray has to be on the PPV.

What’s the purpose of even signing Bateman if he’s not going to be prominently featured? Like, that’s one of the big appeals with AEW is the young guys getting a chance to shine. They did this with Tracy/Flip, too. Set up a program and then the blow-offs are on lame Honor Club shows/tv tapings. Atleast with the PPV, the guys have a reason to go out and REALLY impress. Maybe the tv stuff is technically seen by more people, but it NEVER feels as special.

ROH is just so backwards with everything they do. It’s baffling how they can mess up basic stuff so easily.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Found a video on ROH's twitter that basically sets up Dalton Castle and Joe Hendry vs. Silas Young and Josh Woods at Final Battle.

ROH TV this week sets up Maria and Angelina for Final Battle as well.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Castle and Young usually have great matches together at least.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, I think it would be quite a good match if they were given time. Based on how many matches they will have I’m not sure. I will say Josh Woods has improved a lot the last 3-6 months. He could be really good in a couple years.

Also looks like ROH has like 8-9 matches set with like 6 guys left over. 6 man scramble? Shelley , Cabana, PJ Black, Brody King? Kenny King, Bouncers, Bateman, Williams?

Also random-ness about Silas and woods... I think they have a new shirt with a bar of soap that says “2G1T” in it. Seems like maybe a new name, or something. Seems odd they post something to the shop before saying anything about it. Or I am way off base and that shirt is for something else.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Rey horus is taking on flip gordon at final battle fallout