2019 Grades

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

2019 Grades

Post by Montana »

So I felt now was a good time to do my grades for 2019. Yes, there are a handful more shows left but don’t see much changing between now- Dec/Final Battle. Imagine we will see more of new folks like Bateman, and a few stars will leave in the next few months as well.

I grade based on potential, effort, consistency, match quality, character connecting with the fans, etc.
Add your own grades, or give me feedback on mine… I have thick skin if you disagree, but would like to see others.

Matt Taven – B+ I think you can make the argument for an A for Matt Taven this year, but I ended up going with a B+. Clearly has stepped up his game this year, and a solid title reign. Most of his title defenses were good-very good. Has pulled double duty on at least 1 show I know, and arguably has worked harder than anyone this year. I went B+ because ROH needed lighting in a bottle, and Taven wasn’t it.

Rush - B Gets an A for presence… his matches have been good, but short. We’ve really only seen him in a handful of non-squash matches. Rush/Dragon Lee vs. Briscoes was one of the best matches this year, in ROH… and ROH needs more of that. Think the best is yet to come!

Jay Lethal - B Jay Lethal has successfully transformed into that Roderick Strong role. (in a good way) By meaning, if Jay Lethal is on the card, you KNOW you will get your money’s worth. Never phones it in. Certainly appreciate Jay Lethal, and love his matches against and teaming with Gresham. Give me Lethal/Gresham tag title reign!

Marty Scurll – A- Marty is a ring general, and an extremely important piece of ROH at the moment. I hope he’s happy with his next move, whatever it may lead. Main eventing a few PPV’s this year, with the MSG ladder match, and the Crockett Cup match with Aldis were great, BUT why Marty gets an A , is the popularity of Villain Enterprises. That’s an awesome stable, and interested to see how things play out.

PCO - B- Hard Worker, brings a new dynamic to ROH. A character, and one that can go in the ring. Some of his singles matches were a bit of a let down, but his interaction in multiman matches, and popularity raise his stock.

Jeff Cobb – C+ - This was a hard rating. I fully believe Jeff Cobb can be a A+, but think due to a mix of factors, so far it hasn’t showed his true potential in ROH just yet. The biggest match he’s had in ROH against Taven, ended up being lackluster, due to not enough time. His MSG match was great, but other than that, really hasn’t had much in the way of show stealing matches. He should be having MOTN/MOTYC every show.

Bandido A- I think one could argue Bandido hasn’t hit his true potential in ROH yet either, but think Bandido has done more, with less in ROH. Had one of ROH’s best matches in a 4 way at Masters of the Craft, a great match with Jay Briscoe, great MSG match. Has a “look” and always get the fans excited. His style is what ROH needs.

Mark Haskins - B+ - Probably the only reason he isn’t an A, is because he hasn’t fully connected with the ROH fans yet. Despite Lifebloods, ehh booking… he’s had some outstanding matches this year, Specifically his title match vs. Taven, and tag match with Lethal/Gresham.

Jonathan Gresham A - He’s on the cusp of greatness in ROH if he can keep it up. Hopefully booking doesn’t get in the way. He’s mastered his craft, and ready for a bigger roll with ROH. Great matches, take a pick… Match against, Lethal/Shelly, any of the Lethal tag matches,

Dalton Castle - C+ - He gets an A for character … but has also been affected by injuries/bad booking. Have full confidence Castle can/will return to the top tier.
Tracey Williams B- - Great in the ring, much like Haskins, just hasn’t fully connected with all the fans just yet. Think he will get there.

The Briscoes A Another hard grade and I think you can make an argument for B or A… but dem boys had too many awesome matches to go with a B. Matches with GoD, Villain Enterprises, Rush/Dragon Lee, Life Blood… hell even Rock N Roll express.

Kenny King - C- I like Kenny King, I solid in the ring, solid on the mic…. Just hasn’t found his nitch yet. I’m liking the Blind Kenny King thing, but not doing enough to step up his game.

Brody King- B- I like what I see… I just need to see more. More singles matches, more of him developing his character, and just fulfilling his potential.

Beer City Bruiser & Brian Milonas - C Again, I like them… but they are playing a song, that the fans don’t want to hear in a way. Most fans like flippy/high flying. Where as they are a brawling tag team, that doesn’t mix well with Briscoes / Villain Enterprises / Kingdom that brawl a lot too.

Coast 2 Coast - D+ ROH needs C2C to be great, and here nor there…. It’s not happening. Arguably not their fault, as they aren’t booked a ton. Arguably it is their fault too though. I see them in good matches, but know they can deliver great.

Bully Ray F Bully brings something ROH needs, and that’s star power. But also bring a lot of negativity too. Part of the grade , besides wrestlers is behind the scenes , and hasn’t done anything to help that I can think of. I didn’t hate the enzo/cass thing, NOR adding more unpredictability… but again NOTHING has panned out for him.

Colt Cabana - B+ Going to include his matches plus his commentary in the grade. Think he’s great on the mic and commentary. Has had some good-great matches this year. Important piece of ROH.

Eli Isom - C Give me more Eli … throw him in the shark tank and see if he can swim!

Flip Gordon C- Don’t get the heel turn, and think that’s affected my grade. High B’s for a face, but just don’t buy in on the heel side. I imagine it’s to help his career/health but give me more reasons to hate Flip as a heel. Booking doesn’t help here either.

Josh Woods C+ He’s starting to finally come around at the Global Wars tour. He could get really hot in 2020.

Silas Young B- He does it all for ROH. Does the job, get people over. Helps the young guys. Good for SIlas!

PJ Black B Getting his legs back have helped a lot. Really becoming a valuable part of the roster.

Rhett Titus C+ Looking better when he gets the chance to wrestle.

Shane Taylor B+ Has had a really good title reign. Has really good matches, but nothing great this year yet. Looking forward to more from Shane T, and Shane Taylor promotions.

Kingdom (TKO and Vincent) D+ - Much like the Beer City/Brawler - Playing a song that no one wants to hear. I see value in these guys, but hasn’t crossed over fully yet. Vincent seems like a great character, and TKO has some potential in the ring. I just need better than average matches on each show.

Joe Hendry - B So far so good.

Alex Shelley - N/A

Dragon Lee – N/A

WOH - N/A

Quick Results
A = Briscoes , Jonathan Gresham,
A - = Marty SCrull, Bandido
B+ = Matt Taven, Mark Haskins, Colt Cabana, Shane Taylor
B = Rush , Jay Lethal, PJ Black, Joe Hendry
B- = PCO, Tracey Williams, Silas Young, Brody King
C+ = Jeff Cobb, Dalton Castle, Josh Woods, Rhett Titus
C = Beer City, Milonas, Eli Isom