NJPW vs. ROH domestic live event business

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Laviemarg

NJPW vs. ROH domestic live event business

Post by Laviemarg »

New Japan ran 7 stateside shows in Q3 (Jul-Sep), averaged 1,889 and totaled 13,227. ROH ran 10 shows, averaged 675 and totaled 6,750.

I include a bit more https://twitter.com/Laviemarg/status/11 ... 9358008321.

Data is from The Observer, unless otherwise noted in the link.
Montana

Re: NJPW vs. ROH domestic live event business

Post by Montana »

What are your thoughts on that???

Think most everyone is tracking ROH attendance is down this year. NJPW drawing 1800 in the US isn't surprising as it's supply/demand. For all we know ROH could have had higher profits per show, than NJPW... not saying they did... but not impossible as NJPW had to fly over all their talent. NJPW is making positive moves despite losing talent to AEW.

ROH leadership should know they need to get it together to stay competitive in the wrestling market with AEW,NJPW, Impact MLW, and NWA all fighting for market share.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NWA isn't fighting for market share. They're putting on a nostalgia Youtube series in front of 100 people.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:36 pm NWA isn't fighting for market share. They're putting on a nostalgia Youtube series in front of 100 people.
I know what you mean.... but it would be wise for ROH to have visibility on all other promotions. As much as I agree that nwa won’t be a force, their first episode has like 38k views ... which for those who are tracking... RoH hasn’t had a YouTube video with that many views in 2 months! ROH needs to see that MLW and Nwa are getting good views on YT... and maybe ROH will change up its content.... bc no one cares about a majority of roh’s YouTube content.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

NJPW want to enlarge US business(I read newspaper of economics)
No doubt they want having more big show and spoil US promotions.
2020 summer can't have big show in TOKYO due to Tokyo olympic.
1.WWE
2.AEW
3.NJPWUSA
4.impact
Will ROH keep 5? or less?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

famicommander wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:36 pm NWA isn't fighting for market share. They're putting on a nostalgia Youtube series in front of 100 people.
I'm sure it'll become true if you repeat it a dozen more times. Also don't know how much of a downgrade that is from "putting a shitty recap show in the middle of the night in front of a few hundred people", but I digress.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wow, I hadn't really thought of the total dates in this past quarter from New Japan measuring somewhat closely to ROH. Even with that in mind, I don't really think they can maintain that sort of frequency in the US (without putting some more permanent parts here). New Japan should also probably be doing better business than they are.
ICHIFUJI wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 am NJPW want to enlarge US business(I read newspaper of economics)
No doubt they want having more big show and spoil US promotions.
2020 summer can't have big show in TOKYO due to Tokyo olympic.
1.WWE
2.AEW
3.NJPWUSA
4.impact
Will ROH keep 5? or less?
2020 should be a very unique year for New Japan. I think the lack of summer business is why they're trying to make New Beginnings into such a big show.

Top promotions in USA: 1) WWE, 2) AEW, 3) NJPW, 4) ROH 5) IMPACT/MLW. The positions between ROH, MLW, and IMPACT will probably trade much more than the top three promotions.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Thelone wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 am
I'm sure it'll become true if you repeat it a dozen more times. Also don't know how much of a downgrade that is from "putting a shitty recap show in the middle of the night in front of a few hundred people", but I digress.
It's a massive downgrade and you know it.

NWA isn't touring
NWA isn't on TV
NWA has no streaming service
NWA has no PPV events
NWA has no website

Are they even charging for tickets?

Right now Championship Wrestling From hollywood is 3X the promotion the NWA is, and that's sad as hell.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Wilson wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 am 1) WWE, 2) AEW, 3) NJPW, 4) ROH 5) IMPACT/MLW. The positions between ROH, MLW, and IMPACT will probably trade much more than the top three promotions.
Worldwide:
1. WWE
2. AEW
3. NJPW
4. CMLL
5. AAA
6. Dragon gate
7. Ring of Honor
8. Impact Wrestling
9. Major League Wrestling
10. All Japan Wrestling

That's how I see it at the moment. For a bit there I thought ROH had pulled even with or ahead of AAA, but no longer.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 am
Thelone wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 am
It's a massive downgrade and you know it.

NWA isn't touring
NWA isn't on TV
NWA has no streaming service
NWA has no PPV events
NWA has no website

Are they even charging for tickets?

Right now Championship Wrestling From hollywood is 3X the promotion the NWA is, and that's sad as hell.

They sold tickets for tv, sold the place out. Also running a PPV in December I believe that first weekend of the month. Social media is the new website, but I do believe they have a site. YouTube and Facebook are streaming sites.
Captain Podcast
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

That TV tapings place had like 100 seats available. Would be weird if they failed to sell it out for their debut.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 pm
I know what you mean.... but it would be wise for ROH to have visibility on all other promotions. As much as I agree that nwa won’t be a force, their first episode has like 38k views ... which for those who are tracking... RoH hasn’t had a YouTube video with that many views in 2 months! ROH needs to see that MLW and Nwa are getting good views on YT... and maybe ROH will change up its content.... bc no one cares about a majority of roh’s YouTube content.
If ROH matched the production values of the NWA it would blow many promotions out of the water really, and that's something ROH has needed to look at for a long time.

Personally I would just have say, Glory By Honor or a general house shows released midweek/Tuesday on YouTube as a condensed show. It all it would have to be is two or three full matches with a couple of interviews before and after, just so it carries on the hype it may or not get from the weekend. Then revert TV back to how it was previously apart from it being a 4 hour taping with full matches and interviews on the show, then you don't have to worry about including in your general house shows in the TV show.

We are also using these demographics for their actual TV show, if ROH is breaking 38k through their TV show across America than there really is a huge issue there. For ROH though considering it's time slot issue I would probably be better if they did release it on a specific day and time through Youtube.