Death Before Dishonor 2019 Thread (9/27 Las Vegas)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Death Before Dishonor 2019 Thread (9/27 Las Vegas)

Post by monster mafia »

They have plans for bateman after this? Also i hope they try something with Jake atlas too.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:02 pm Glad I was watching Spence vs Porter instead of trying to watch the Fallout it seems.
That's part of what I was doing as well. Good fight. SSP is a local guy, been following his career for years. At one point he trained with a guy who now works at my gym and has popped up to train with him a handful of times over the last five years I've been a member. Seems like a real nice guy but in the ring his career has fallen short of our expectations. Some thought he might be able to give Money May a run for his money at one point toward the end of May's career.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Porter has had a fantastic career, he's just lacking in size and power compared to guys like Spence and Thurman.

But he's won 2 world titles and challenged for 2 more. That's nothing to scoff at.

It's just that welterweight is the deepest division in boxing right now. There are 7 truly, truly elite guys in the division:
1. Terence Crawford
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Errol Spence Jr
4. Keith Thurman
5. Shawn Porter
6. Danny Garcia
7. Yordenis Ugas

And Floyd is always lurking if one of them can lure him out of retirement.

I think if Porter could actually drop some weight he'd be a hell of a handful for anybody at 140. 147 just exposes his lack of power and size too much to be the top dog.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:14 pm Porter has had a fantastic career, he's just lacking in size and power compared to guys like Spence and Thurman.

But he's won 2 world titles and challenged for 2 more. That's nothing to scoff at.

It's just that welterweight is the deepest division in boxing right now. There are 7 truly, truly elite guys in the division:
1. Terence Crawford
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Errol Spence Jr
4. Keith Thurman
5. Shawn Porter
6. Danny Garcia
7. Yordenis Ugas

And Floyd is always lurking if one of them can lure him out of retirement.

I think if Porter could actually drop some weight he'd be a hell of a handful for anybody at 140. 147 just exposes his lack of power and size too much to be the top dog.
I'd tend to DQ Manny because of age there but yeah that's a very similar if not the exact same ranking I'd have of the group, maybe switching Garcia and Porter. Ugas is continually improving too. Spence Jr. has everything I love in a fighter but needs more experience to get past Crawford and cement himself. 147 was always too big for him, but he's built like a cinder block so I imagine it's technique & cardio that's been the big issue in getting beat.

If Floyd comes back, I'm going to be very disappointed. Let it be. I get sick everytime I see Manny come back.

Shawn has had a great career and like we say in Northeast Ohio, about our athletes who stay loyal to the area "He earned it." If only boxing was as popular as it used to be...
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 pm They have plans for bateman after this? Also i hope they try something with Jake atlas too.
One would hope both are figured in heavily the rest of the year and well into 2020.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I thought Pacquiao was done against Horn (even though he got robbed on the cards in that fight) but the way he fought against Keith Thurman was truly inspired.

I had that fight 6 rounds to 6, but Pac got the flash knockdown in the first and thus the decision. Pac benefited from Thurman breaking his hand and some ribs, but the fact that Pacquiao didn't just get blasted out of there shows he still has something in the tank.

It's guys like John Molina Jr, who was on that undercard, who need to hang it up. Total shell of his former self.

I don't think anybody can beat Crawford. Not at 147. He has speed, power, reflexes, timing, balance, and the killer instinct. Plus he can fight equally well orthodox or southpaw.

Only problem is, he's with Top Rank and the other 6 elite guys are all PBC. So he's stuck fighting scraps until he can get a megafight across the aisle.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I enjoyed the show. The Lethal Gresham match was amazing. The Shane Taylor story angle is very intriguing also I hope bandido is okay.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Bateman was in tag team with Brody called Violence Unlimited till Brody got signed by RoH. It probably would make sense to pair them up again.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Fallout show was the typical TV taping style show that they do here in Vegas. Iffy stuff throughout and then a really fun main event.

Jake Atlas and Bateman didn’t really impress me. I’ve seen Atlas at 1 PWG show and he was decent there. I heard he killed it at BOLA but this ROH match wasn’t anything special. He did the cool DDT thing he does. And Bateman was pretty meh too. If I’m ROH, I don’t sign either guy. I just saw Douglas James at FSW tonight and he was TONS better than either of those guys. Chris Bey is better too, imo.

No Bandido was a bummer. I was there for most of the show and I didn’t see it announced at all that those guys were out with injuries. Sucks for PJ Black, who had a decent one with Lethal. But people were expecting Bandido. And it would’ve been better with Bandido.

Wish Chris Bey would’ve got a better match. He looked alright in his match, but his team mostly just got squashed by Bruiser and Milonas.

Idk, FSW tonight was honestly better than Saturdays show.

I need to just start going to only the PPVs because the TV taping shows are always a letdown after the great PPVs.
There’s something about the nature of a 3 hour ppv, where it’s just bam-bam-bam constant action. I’ve been to maybe 10 PPVs that they’ve put on... NEVER have I been disappointed. Always great stuff. The TV tapings aren’t BAD shows.. but I highly recommend the PPV live experience over them. You really have to go to one of the PPVs live if you’ve never been. It’s a lot of fun.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Montana wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:55 pm The first hour and 9 minutes are messed up... after that seems to work fine. Not sure when/if ROH will fix... but yeah , no excuses for this.
Thanks for the heads up, seems to working fine from that point, shame it starts working fine when its The Allure cutting a promo 😂
Montana

Post by Montana »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 pm Fallout show was the typical TV taping style show that they do here in Vegas. Iffy stuff throughout and then a really fun main event.

Jake Atlas and Bateman didn’t really impress me. I’ve seen Atlas at 1 PWG show and he was decent there. I heard he killed it at BOLA but this ROH match wasn’t anything special. He did the cool DDT thing he does. And Bateman was pretty meh too. If I’m ROH, I don’t sign either guy. I just saw Douglas James at FSW tonight and he was TONS better than either of those guys. Chris Bey is better too, imo.

No Bandido was a bummer. I was there for most of the show and I didn’t see it announced at all that those guys were out with injuries. Sucks for PJ Black, who had a decent one with Lethal. But people were expecting Bandido. And it would’ve been better with Bandido.

Wish Chris Bey would’ve got a better match. He looked alright in his match, but his team mostly just got squashed by Bruiser and Milonas.

Idk, FSW tonight was honestly better than Saturdays show.

I need to just start going to only the PPVs because the TV taping shows are always a letdown after the great PPVs.
There’s something about the nature of a 3 hour ppv, where it’s just bam-bam-bam constant action. I’ve been to maybe 10 PPVs that they’ve put on... NEVER have I been disappointed. Always great stuff. The TV tapings aren’t BAD shows.. but I highly recommend the PPV live experience over them. You really have to go to one of the PPVs live if you’ve never been. It’s a lot of fun.
It's the same with most any other taped or even live wrestling show taping. Personally i wouldn't pass up on ROH live, but across all companies, Impact, WWE, the TV tapings will never be as good. I'm guessing AEW tapings will just be OK as well, as they said they are only using like 50% of the roster per show. We'll have to wait and see. Sucks about Rush/Bandido, but hopefully they are OK for the next shows.

I thought Atlas looked good, and i'd probably try and sign him ASAP. Can't speak for Bey/Douglas James.

FSW is like a tree falling in the woods, and no one see's or hears it. I assume that's a local Vegas indy that's cool, but in reality nothing on that show mattered. Seems like a cool lineup though. At least with the ROH show you got some cool ROH debuts, and some title tournament matches, and a decent main event. Seemed like the blowoff for Flip/Williams, but can't help but think that feud didn't really get to the level it needed.
Montana

Post by Montana »

classic-cabana wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 am
Montana wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:55 pm The first hour and 9 minutes are messed up... after that seems to work fine. Not sure when/if ROH will fix... but yeah , no excuses for this.
Thanks for the heads up, seems to working fine from that point, shame it starts working fine when its The Allure cutting a promo 😂
Exactly what i was thinking as well.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I honestly don't mind Angelina Love. She can at least work. That doesn't excuse Mandy and Velvet, of course.

It's just that they only seem to be able to do one or two things at a time with the WOH division.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

still waiting for a maria manic match...at least an squash or something.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 am
monster mafia wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:52 am
Wrestlingisback wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 am

May have been the plan since this week’s episode of ROH TV shows Bandido was supposed to beat Lethal in the tournament had that match happened.

From watching the show though, seems more like it’ll be Rush vs Marty with Marty teasing this could be his “Final Battle” for a title shot. Not sure it’s a great sign to have two straight years of Final Battle revolve around someone leaving the company.

https://twitter.com/Darryn1226/status/1 ... 10976?s=20
if marty is leaving the main event can loss some interest, really bad time for a bandido injured...lethal or pco vs rush maybe, idk.

damn..
I don't think it's an issue unless it comes out beforehand that he's 100% leaving. Like last year it was presumed the Elite were leaving, but it's not like they announced AEW before Final Battle and I thought it was fine and the crowd heat was good.
they can make a triple threat...adding bandido later in some way.

a main event: rush vs marty vs bandido sounds great for me.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Montana wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:34 am FSW is like a tree falling in the woods, and no one see's or hears it. I assume that's a local Vegas indy that's cool, but in reality nothing on that show mattered. Seems like a cool lineup though. At least with the ROH show you got some cool ROH debuts, and some title tournament matches, and a decent main event. Seemed like the blowoff for Flip/Williams, but can't help but think that feud didn't really get to the level it needed.
Sometimes I wonder what you guys are smoking before making these posts.

FSW on Sunday outdrew ROH on Saturday by a LOT. The whole bleachers were 90% filled, Saturday's ROH crowd was not nearly that. The show was streamed live on Fite. Had Pentagon vs Matt Sydal on it. Michael Elgin, Fenix on the card. Pentagon and Fenix are bigger stars than anybody on ROH right now.

Like, I get that ROH used to be a big deal. But right now is not really the time to make "such-and-such company is irrelevant" jokes when you're talking about Ring of Honor in the same breath lol. ROH is a joke to most people. I like this forum sometimes because the rest of you are stuck in the past with me, watching a company that hasn't been relevant in years.

And trust me on my original post, I went to all 3 shows. Friday's PPV rocked. Sunday's FSW show was pretty great as well. ROH's Saturday show was just ok. That Flip/Williams match was boring as hell. Haskins/Castle was bad. Lethal/PJ was alright.

"DURRR its like a tree falling in the woods" Dude, shut up.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Full version of DBD Fallout is now available.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:09 am I honestly don't mind Angelina Love. She can at least work. That doesn't excuse Mandy and Velvet, of course.

It's just that they only seem to be able to do one or two things at a time with the WOH division.
It doesn't hurt that Angelina is the one member of the Allure who doesn't have a boyfriend on the booking committee.
AnHonorableMention

Reaper G wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:09 am I honestly don't mind Angelina Love. She can at least work. That doesn't excuse Mandy and Velvet, of course.

It doesn't hurt that Angelina is the one member of the Allure who doesn't have a boyfriend on the booking committee.
It screams "WE HAVE NO WORKRATE IN OUR WOMEN'S DIVISION" so here's sports entertainment. Very poor creative, as usual.
Captain Podcast
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Reaper G wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 pm

I like posts that make me chuckle. This is one of them.