Death Before Dishonor 2019 Thread (9/27 Las Vegas)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
alexsmellzzz

Death Before Dishonor 2019 Thread (9/27 Las Vegas)

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Ok, we're about a month away from ROH returning once again to Sam's Town here in Las Vegas, Nevada...

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27TH
BELL TIME @ 06:00 PM PDT
SAM'S TOWN LIVE
----------

Nothing officially announced yet.

Taven vs Rush is the rumored main event. Not sure that's really a great idea. Ticket sales as noted by some people on Twitter, extremely low so far. Barely any tickets sold. So we'll see. New Japan is doing their east coast tour this weekend so that rules out a LOT of guys. Even though I'm not sure ROH could get them at this point anyway.

ROH really needs to get it together. I remain optimistic, however, because they've literally never had a bad PPV in Vegas. Will this be the first one? I guess we'll see. If Rush loses to Taven.... oooh boy. That will definitely be interesting. Lol.
----------
Updated Match Card:

ROH World Champion Matt Taven defending against Rush
ROH Tag Team Champions The Briscoes defending against LifeBlood (Bandido & Mark Haskins)
ROH Television Champion Shane Taylor defending against Flip Gordon and Tracy Williams in a triple threat match
Women of Honor World Champion Kelly Klein defending against Angelina Love
PCO vs. Kenny King in a Final Battle number one contender's tournament first round match
Marty Scurll vs. Colt Cabana in a Final Battle number one contender's tournament first round match
Jay Lethal vs. Jonathan Gresham
Silas Young & Vinny Marseglia vs. The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser & Brawler Milonas) in a Bar Room Brawl
maxx_powerz

Re: Death Before Dishonor 2019 Thread (9/27 Las Vegas)

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think they said Haskins & Bandido earned a tag title shot at Honor for All that will be at DBD. I would have preferred PCO & King as the challengers since they beat the Briscoes for the belts last time ROH was in Vegas, seems like a logical follow up (especially since VE haven't gotten a shot since losing the belts). But it's hard to be too mad about it, for all the criticism LB takes for not having great direction, their matches are usually as good as anything on the card right now.

I found the booking of Cobb this past weekend pretty promising. As much as they've kept Marty out of the main event picture the past six months, you wonder how much it means that they put Cobb in the main event both nights this weekend and gave him wins both nights, including one that guarantees him a title shot. I guess the downside is that we speculated after Summer Supercard that they were going to speed things up in getting the belt off Taven and move it to DBD, but it's pretty easy to see a scenario now where Taven wrestles Rush & Cobb in a triple threat and pins Cobb again.

I think I read somewhere (Observer?) that Dragon Lee is booked for this show. So that would be good news if true, he always helps make a show feel bigger, he's kind of like the new Kushida.

Based on this past weekend, Castle versus Hendry feels pretty likely.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Pwinsider reported that Taven vs RUSH would headline I don’t know how much truth there is in that or if it has changed. I can see a three way being a possibility or maybe more so that Cobb would be RUSH’s first challenger.

It’s definitely going to LifeBlood vs Briscoes and I can see Flip costing them the titles possibly.

Maybe another Dragon Lee vs Gresham match.

Certainly think we will have to wait until the next tour is over to really find out the card.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:12 am Pwinsider reported that Taven vs RUSH would headline I don’t know how much truth there is in that or if it has changed. I can see a three way being a possibility or maybe more so that Cobb would be RUSH’s first challenger.

It’s definitely going to LifeBlood vs Briscoes and I can see Flip costing them the titles possibly.

Certainly think we will have to wait until the next tour is over to really find out the card.
https://twitter.com/OCSteveSDS/status/1 ... 91456?s=20

If they're going to wait to announce anything for this, I think it's safe to say that people are going to also wait on buying tickets. Lol. I've never seen Vegas buy so few tickets for an ROH show. Like, I'm legit surprised. Because Vegas usually sells pretty well. But we are also used to ROH cards that have Okada, Ishii, etc on them.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

If Dragon Lee is on the card, they should do Dragon Lee vs Bandido. Or something like that. I want to see something good.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Oh yeah, Marty Scurll also confirmed via Twitter that he'll be in Vegas. So that's a plus.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:12 am Pwinsider reported that Taven vs RUSH would headline I don’t know how much truth there is in that or if it has changed. I can see a three way being a possibility or maybe more so that Cobb would be RUSH’s first challenger.

Rush versus Cobb at Final Battle is probably their best option if Cobb is staying that long.

As far as Flip is concerned, if he's healthy maybe we get Flip versus Hot Sauce to wrap up what happened in Toronto?

I haven't been pleased with Dragon Lee's booking since he became a pseudo regular (I'm typically a Kenny King apologist, but that one in particular bugged me) and I'd like to see him pick up some wins to keep him over. I don't think they've hinted at it as an angle yet, but Jay Lethal has been losing a lot since he lost the belt so I think Dragon Lee / Lethal would check a lot of boxes for me.

The Global Wars stuff is typically exhibition matches, I think they could probably announce PPV matches and then use Global Wars to build to it, I don't think there needs to be a lot of story line during the tour itself.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Dragon Lee/Lethal would be siiiiick. Lethal has been in big matches in Vegas pretty much every time they come here. He always delivers.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 am

Rush versus Cobb at Final Battle is probably their best option if Cobb is staying that long.

As far as Flip is concerned, if he's healthy maybe we get Flip versus Hot Sauce to wrap up what happened in Toronto?

I haven't been pleased with Dragon Lee's booking since he became a pseudo regular (I'm typically a Kenny King apologist, but that one in particular bugged me) and I'd like to see him pick up some wins to keep him over. I don't think they've hinted at it as an angle yet, but Jay Lethal has been losing a lot since he lost the belt so I think Dragon Lee / Lethal would check a lot of boxes for me.

The Global Wars stuff is typically exhibition matches, I think they could probably announce PPV matches and then use Global Wars to build to it, I don't think there needs to be a lot of story line during the tour itself.
Yeah I think that would be a great match to end the year or a bigger Taven match for sure.

The Lee loss to King was a gateway match into the CMLL shows this coming week, I'd imagine Lee will get his win back there or it will build to another match in Las Vegas where I can see Lee wining. As a match for sure Lethal vs Lee would be a glamour match it just depends how story heavy they want to go with the PPV.

certainly if Flip is healthy I would do Flip vs Hot Sauce that would be a really nice match to add to the show.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:17 am

https://twitter.com/OCSteveSDS/status/1 ... 91456?s=20

If they're going to wait to announce anything for this, I think it's safe to say that people are going to also wait on buying tickets. Lol. I've never seen Vegas buy so few tickets for an ROH show. Like, I'm legit surprised. Because Vegas usually sells pretty well. But we are also used to ROH cards that have Okada, Ishii, etc on them.
and that’s the huge problem ROH wants ROH fans surprisingly not New Japan fans jumping at the chance to see Okada, goto a New Japan event if you really want that. I have said many times ROH needs to find it's own fan base not one that is circulated around New Japan, you never know your true self and guys become worthless as has happened. The more ROH gets away from New Japan the better be ROH it's that simple.

There hasn't been one match announced, and there is still focus on the three day tour coming up, we may get a couple of matches announced this week for the show but the full show will be later for sure. Just wait and stop obsessing with attendance it is what it is and if you only enjoy a product because it sells well then that's just wierd.

Also that dude has a wierd obsession with Marty and ROH attendance it's hillarious there is actually people like that.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 amand that;s the huge problem ROH wants ROH fans surprisingly not New Japan fans jumping into Okada, go see a New Japan event if you want that. I have said many times ROH needs to find it's own fan base not one that is circulated around New Japan, you never know your true self and guys become worthless as has happened. The more ROH gets away from New Japan the better be ROH it's that simple.

There hasn't been one match announced, and there is still focus on the three day tour coming up, we may get a couple of matches announced this week for the show but the full show will be later for sure. Just wait and stop obsessing with attendance it is what it is and if you only enjoy a product because it sells well then that's just wierd.

Also that dude has a wierd obsession with Marty and ROH attendance it's hillarious there is actually people like that.
You lost me in the first couple sentences, not going to lie.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 amand that;s the huge problem ROH wants ROH fans surprisingly not New Japan fans jumping into Okada, go see a New Japan event if you want that. I have said many times ROH needs to find it's own fan base not one that is circulated around New Japan, you never know your true self and guys become worthless as has happened. The more ROH gets away from New Japan the better be ROH it's that simple.

You lost me in the first couple sentences, not going to lie.
Simply if you really want Okada or Ishii instead of ROH you can always head over to Philly or Mane. Critising ROH for not delivering names like that or focusing on its own talent is just ridiculous.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Their own talent is mostly bland/uninteresting/shit, that's the bottom line. Remember how ROH was this promotion where young, talented guys could hone their craft without the limitations of WWE? Nowadays, ROH is mostly populated by 30yo+ wash-outs/never-were who can't draw for shit. Basically, they have to rebuild almost from scratch because even if you somehow bring the hottest talent in the universe, they will be dead within a year because the booking is horrendous and if you change the creative team, you're still working with clowns like PJ Black/Brian Mayonnaise/Kenny King/more old farts that will never amount to anything.

The women's division is a good example of that. They bring Manic to be this big monster heel, and yet have done jack shit with her instead of letting her squash the rest of the division who sucks ass and rebuild around her. But nooo, gotta keep the focus on the Beautiful People who were stale beyond belief almost a DECADE ago, Klein who's been on top for FIVE YEARS and is mediocre at best, and old lady Sakai no one gives a shit about.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Bringing in NJPW stars won't fix that. Maybe they'll pop a number for one or two shows, but RoH will still have to do with their own guys for the most part anyway.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

I read NJPW 9/27 Boston will be
TANAHASHI IBUSHI OKADA ISHII (GOTO YOSHIHASHI)
All 5 of LIJ
WHITE GOD KENTA
Now they are influence to smash DBD.

ROH need something for big show.
Dave Gruber Allen

Post by Dave Gruber Allen »

Thelone wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am Their own talent is mostly bland/uninteresting/shit, that's the bottom line. Remember how ROH was this promotion where young, talented guys could hone their craft without the limitations of WWE? Nowadays, ROH is mostly populated by 30yo+ wash-outs/never-were who can't draw for shit. Basically, they have to rebuild almost from scratch because even if you somehow bring the hottest talent in the universe, they will be dead within a year because the booking is horrendous and if you change the creative team, you're still working with clowns like PJ Black/Brian Mayonnaise/Kenny King/more old farts that will never amount to anything.

The women's division is a good example of that. They bring Manic to be this big monster heel, and yet have done jack shit with her instead of letting her squash the rest of the division who sucks ass and rebuild around her. But nooo, gotta keep the focus on the Beautiful People who were stale beyond belief almost a DECADE ago, Klein who's been on top for FIVE YEARS and is mediocre at best, and old lady Sakai no one gives a shit about.
We should ask Cornette if he wants to come back.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

A new troll un the forum....oh great :)
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ICHIFUJI wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:48 pm I read NJPW 9/27 Boston will be
TANAHASHI IBUSHI OKADA ISHII (GOTO YOSHIHASHI)
All 5 of LIJ
WHITE GOD KENTA
Now they are influence to smash DBD.

ROH need something for big show.

I completely get that you’re listing who’ll be at the FSU tour, but man, WHITE GOD KENTA has a ring to it...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

WHITE GOD KENTA is one of my AKAs, you can't just go posting it in public like this.

Even with Cobb picking up big wins this past weekend, I still see Taven/Rush as practically set in stone. Cobb will probably use his title opportunity on the cusp his last appearance or some time next year if he renews. They might for now just be setting up a Taven/Cobb match at Final Battle or whatever house show they want to juice up.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Are the New Japan shows airing live on World? If they aren't then that Lowell show won't have much effect on DBD.