Honor For All 8/25/19 Nashville

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
alexsmellzzz

Re: Honor For All 8/25/19 Nashville

Post by alexsmellzzz »

When the champions are actually good wrestlers, and not Matt Taven and Shane Taylor, I think those 4v4 matches can be decent. They're never THAT good, they mostly come off as a booking crutch. And I would hate to have bought tickets to a show to find out that I'm going to see that in the main event. But idk, maybe if we get different champions at some point, those kinda matches will be interesting. For now, though.... nah.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 am
Wilson wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 am Okay, I'm going to use my moderator card to gatekeep against anyone who doesn't feel nerdily warm about a Rock N Roll/Briscoes match for the ROH titles.

Also, Ricky and Robert, sneaky good year.
I have obvious reasons to say this (promote the upcoming match, etc.) but I think this is Ricky and Robert's best year in-ring since probably, what, 1996? And they have been sneakily very good since then. But I think it was 1996 where they had all of those matches against the various combinations of 4 Horseman, Fire and Ice, and others?
I'm not one to say, but I do know a few rnrexpressologists who are pretty adamant on these points. As someone who has been along the ROH fandom train for far too long, this match is a throwback to all of the out-of-left-field, weirdo dream matches that became a part of the company's fame--I love it.
alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 am When the champions are actually good wrestlers, and not Matt Taven and Shane Taylor, I think those 4v4 matches can be decent. They're never THAT good, they mostly come off as a booking crutch. And I would hate to have bought tickets to a show to find out that I'm going to see that in the main event. But idk, maybe if we get different champions at some point, those kinda matches will be interesting. For now, though.... nah.
Champions vs All-Stars tags were pretty excellent matches for a three year period (and IIRC they were still good after 2015). Taylor and Taven aren't the biggest stars, and most nights the former barely even seems to be over, but they deliver in matches. The talent is at about the same bar in this eight-man as any of the celebrated CvAS tags before, it just takes a careful booker to tease matchups, get developing stars over, and commit to an immediate program after the match. It's been a weird as hell year but I would lean more on the side of this match delivering than it being a mundane main event.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I hope we see the end of this Villain Enterprises/Lifeblood feud. We've seen these guys do multi-man matches for months now haven't we? Give me a PCO singles run!
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I think it is two months? Or did they face before Best in the World title match and Flip's betrayal?
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Mike Adamle wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:07 am I hope we see the end of this Villain Enterprises/Lifeblood feud. We've seen these guys do multi-man matches for months now haven't we? Give me a PCO singles run!
Not to mention that Lifeblood has never felt like a real faction in any way. Just some guys thrown together. Marty's group atleast somewhat feels like a group.

I think it's another example of a booking crutch. ROH elevated their would-be jobbers like The Kingdom to levels where they need to be booked equal with the better talent. So who is Lifeblood going to beat? Nobody wants to see them vs Cheeseburger. So an easy thing to do is keep them all grouped together and have groups just trade meaningless wins and losses. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They positioned Juice, Finlay, and Dashwood as the leaders of Lifeblood. Now Juice moved to Japan, Finlay is hurt, and Dashwood is in Impact.

I like Williams, Haskins, Bandido, and Black but they really don't seem to have a unifying theme or purpose.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

It seems like it would be easy enough to make a minor tweak and book them as a knock off Generation Next (although given the group's origins and the existence of Villain Enterprises it would probably have to be as faces), but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Maybe if they had come up with a better faction name or had a Shelley type promo in the bunch.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

the juice situation was a mess for lifeblood.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I assume the long term plan for Lifeblood was to eradicate ROH of the Bully Ray's and the Villain's, and the other bad guys. Between Juice/Finlay/ Emma, I'd say Haskins/Williams have held the group together pretty well, all things considered. We all know what happen Bully, and PJ Black, is quietly becoming one of my favorites to watch in ROH now.

I'm not big on 4 on 4 matches, but typically they are pretty exciting to watch.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Only 4 matches announced for this show....lazy roh.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:48 pm Only 4 matches announced for this show....lazy roh.
They announced 7: DEFY or DENY, the 3 title matches, Rush vs. Marseglia, Okomura/Felino vs. Bouncers and Castle vs. Isom, the last two being announced on the last Eck's files.
Lesnar

Post by Lesnar »

Hey all! I will be attending the show tomorrow night. Ringside seats! The wife and I are really looking forward to it. We love ROH! Matt Taven rules as champion! Can't wait to see Marty,Jay and PCO!

Will post a review later. Hope to see Ian, Colt and Caprice also!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Lesnar wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:31 pm Hey all! I will be attending the show tomorrow night. Ringside seats! The wife and I are really looking forward to it. We love ROH! Matt Taven rules as champion! Can't wait to see Marty,Jay and PCO!

Have a great time! For all of ROHs warts the live show is still super fun. Especially front row!
Lesnar

Post by Lesnar »

Thanks! 😀
Jesse Uzbekistan

Post by Jesse Uzbekistan »

Wow, kind of a big deal for this show. They're not having this at the old/closing/closed arena, but at the new one that opened with a boxing event a few days back. Takes the appeal out of it for me.

https://twitter.com/PhillipLeeDixon/sta ... 08705?s=19
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Lesnar wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:31 pm Hey all! I will be attending the show tomorrow night. Ringside seats! The wife and I are really looking forward to it. We love ROH! Matt Taven rules as champion! Can't wait to see Marty,Jay and PCO!

Colt is in Europe. Enjoy. Probably plenty of open seating to each of your directions!
Captain Podcast
dirty

Post by dirty »

Jesse Uzbekistan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:10 pm Wow, kind of a big deal for this show. They're not having this at the old/closing/closed arena, but at the new one that opened with a boxing event a few days back. Takes the appeal out of it for me.

https://twitter.com/PhillipLeeDixon/sta ... 08705?s=19
I didn't realize that until you said it. That kind of sucks too. I'm going to the show. I'm pissed about the lineup, moreso now seeing who won to get a shot at the TV title. I'll still try to have fun.
Jesse Uzbekistan

Post by Jesse Uzbekistan »

I was thinking about making the (long) drive, but won't. The card wasn't too appealing, but I wanted to try to catch a show at that place before it closed.
dirty

Post by dirty »

Jesse Uzbekistan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:31 am I was thinking about making the (long) drive, but won't. The card wasn't too appealing, but I wanted to try to catch a show at that place before it closed.
The shitty part is this was advertised as the last show there BY ROH early on. Maybe something changed beyond their control but they should've been clear with everything as soon as they knew.

It's not the end of the world but it was definitely part of the reason I decided to buy our tickets ahead of time.
Lesnar

Post by Lesnar »

Last show in the old building I believe is what they meant. This event is being held in a brand new establishment. Pretty nice.