GLOBAL WARS ESPECTACULAR Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

GLOBAL WARS ESPECTACULAR Official Thread

Post by cgstong »

If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Re: GLOBAL WARS ESPECTACULAR Official Thread

Post by famicommander »

I really hope this tour is well received. CMLL has so much awesome talent.

With Sofia Alonso now in charge of CMLL I am hopeful we may finally see an ROH show in Mexico. It's a bit strange to me that they have done Canada, Japan, England, Scotland, and Wales but never Mexico.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

What a poor job of choosing the cities for this tour and a poor job of choosing the dates as well. Really the weekend AFTER All Out!? Who's the numbnuts that does the scheduling? And besides Chicago are the other two cities have the Hispanic population that they're looking to draw with the selling point here being the luchadores? This should have been a Texas loop, then again ROH would have had to.compete with MLW in Dallas that weekend.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

if roh cant comepete with mlw then close the company.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Maybe these dates were set before All Out was even announced. With booking venues etc you can’t change if it’s already booked

The only thing I would have done was make this the LA debut.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm if roh cant comepete with mlw then close the company.
Honestly ifnInhad to choose between them MLW would get my money right now. But it would be close. I dig both rosters but just seems as if MLW gives me better storytelling.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm not mad about it... I'll be at the Dearborn show.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Taven defending the World Title against Volador Jr in Chicago.

Volador was the last person to pin Taven in a singles match, when Taven dropped the CMLL NWA World Historic Welterweight Championship back to him.

Glad they are actually picking up a story thread Taven was involved with in CMLL.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

you guys think that is a main event that can bring people to the show....besides the history between them?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think it could be if ROH markets these shows and that match specifically to an audience that watches CMLL in the Chicago area. That means not just using their website, twitter, and instagram page. New fans don't go to these places. ROH needs CMLL to advertise this match. They need targeted ads in Chicago to the Latino area.

And to be fair, this is a plan that needs to happen for all shows now. People aren't seeking out ROH. You need to take your product to the potential fans. It's not talked about enough but that is one of the real reasons of what hurt TNA. They did next to no local marketing. ROH can't continue to make that mistake. I apologize for going a bit off topic with the original question but if you have a match that people may want to see, if they don't know about it then how could they ever even decide they do want to send money to see that match.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Imagine if Bandido had the belt.

He’s literally one of the top 3 most exciting people to watch in wrestling IN GENERAL right now.

Imagine if the match was Bandido vs Volador. I think that match would move the needle. I think LOTS of people would care about that match.

But that’s not the match. Instead, it’s something that people won’t care about.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Imagine if Bandido.... DIDN'T have the belt... you could still see that match! And the people would still talk and care about the match. Just like Bandido vs. Marty coming up in a week. Why would people not care about his matches if he's not the champ if he's in the top 3 most exciting people to watch?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Last time in Chicago they have a bad attendance.. idk if this Main evento helps a lot
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Montana wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:23 am Imagine if Bandido.... DIDN'T have the belt... you could still see that match! And the people would still talk and care about the match. Just like Bandido vs. Marty coming up in a week. Why would people not care about his matches if he's not the champ if he's in the top 3 most exciting people to watch?
You're missing the point. I will try to explain further so maybe you can understand.

The best wrestlers should be the champs, man.

That's how it always was in ROH history. That belt has an incredible lineage. Legit top guys of the wrestling industry.

Then they started giving guys titles for being around a long time :/

Bandido is a bonafide STAR. He is incredible to watch, live and on TV. Him, Scurll, Jeff Cobb. One of those guys should be the world champ.

I'm just saying, Taven vs Volador doesn't sound like a main event match at all. Put it on the midcard. Bandido vs Volador sounds incredible, like a must-see type match. Taven weighs ROH down, he weighs the big shows, the little shows, the tv down. He makes the company look bad.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Rush/Bandido, Flip/Bandido, Taylor/Bandido and first PJ Black/Bandido matches have been rather underwhelming. But I'm sure its the fault of those other guys.
Montana

Post by Montana »

ROH has toned down on some of the high intensity since they started having contracts years ago. Think they put more emphasis on a safe environment... than a place like pwg. That being said, some wrestlers may feel hand cuffed, or want to preserve themselves (so they are not forced into early retirement) and healthy when their contract is up too.

Either way... I’m sure this set of shows will be good. It will be a different feel than another Roh vs njpw.... so timing wise it works out well. Plus the ROH show in Chicago will likely have 2-3 other main event worthy matches added, so it’s not like Taven will be in the only good match. The fans not going most likely aren’t following the new Roh stuff like lifeblood, villain enterprises. Or could be high ticket prices finally catching up with ROh.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I’d rather have a match with meaning and history that can be slowed down not be a dive every second that in the end means nothing, especially where the first dive can be the come back or to take the advantage, far too much is happening in wrestling that is making it a poor product overall and not enough effort is being put into the basics. Its become far to obvious for too much waiting or a move or a set up. If you are going to do that be created or sell the set ups. It’s why I have no time for people who say someone like Taylor is bad for the company, he is a very good pro for his size and weight.

Bandido needs a lot of work to be the top guy, his best match in ROH has been with Taylor because of how they worked the psychology within in it. Im not saying he can’t or won’t but just doing a handspring into the ropes or a springboard isn’t enough. His 21 plex just takes me out every time I mean seriously who the hell waits that long in that position to get yourself back to being ok again. He needs a move a set and an understanding of wrestling in a different way. There are a lot of guys with a lot of hype like this and it bugs me no end, I think I’m just getting to old for this new wrestling world because guys just don’t seem to give a shit.

For me a reason why ROH is actually one of the better wrestling shows out there is the difference in styles and variety in wrestlers. It’s a PWG style environment, that’s not to say the wrestling or wrestlers need to be better they do but attitude ROH takes to it’s matches generally are the right ones.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Posted an ROH Update video re: Global Wars but here are the contents!

For Dearborn:

Taven/Marseglia vs. Volador Jr./Triton

For Chicago:

RUSH vs. Barbaro Cavernario

Cobb, Lethal, & Gresham vs. Caristico, Stuka Jr., & Triton

For Milwaukee:

Briscoes & Cavernario vs. Lifeblood
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Some nice match ups, espeically RUSH vs Cavernario, but I can see both of the three mans being pretty special if they get the time.

Really hope Triton shows his best self here as he really could wow the crowd.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 pm Posted an ROH Update video re: Global Wars but here are the contents!

For Dearborn:

Taven/Marseglia vs. Volador Jr./Triton

For Chicago:

RUSH vs. Barbaro Cavernario

Cobb, Lethal, & Gresham vs. Caristico, Stuka Jr., & Triton

For Milwaukee:

Briscoes & Cavernario vs. Lifeblood
Cavernario vs. Rush and the last 6 Man Tag should be great!