Summer Supercard Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
alexsmellzzz

Re: Summer Supercard Thread

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Kingdom/PCO and Brody - *1/4

Marty/PJ Black - ***1/2
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maybe not the final attendance but wow....

alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

This is a big show, too

Dude somebody needs to do something. People in these threads defend ROH to the death, but there is CLEARLY something going wrong when your "Summer Supercard" crowd looks like that.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Crowds are going to look like this for a while. ROH needs to have strong shows and rebuild some momentum to get people backin the buildings.

Solid match between Kelly and Tasha. I really like Tasha. Hope she sticks around.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Dead crowd is really killing this show. The people that are there are clearly excited for the show. But it just sounds so hollow and so dead. It's sad.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

just end this matt taven experiment...give the belt to shelley or do something and put the belt on marty

taven is not bad but is not working.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Excellent match. Best match so far tonight by far.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Ok so I loved that match. Admittedly it helps that it has legitimately high class, hugely talented individuals in it...

But that rocked. Bandido and Gresham are special special talents. (Not that Haskins and Lethal aren’t great too)
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

4 amazing wrestlers.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

When did Silas Young’s gimmick shift from ‘Last Real Man’ to irritating tank top wearing bum?
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Okay the luchadors brought the fun. It was scrappy at times - but at least it felt vibrant, exciting and dynamic.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Marty Scurll was announced for the October House of Glory show.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Ladder War was INSANELY violent. That was a hell of a match. They just showed Jay's back and he has the longest, gnarliest cut on his back. Wow.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

well... at least rush vs taven makes sense, they have history, in some way is long term booking.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

wow....jay briscoe is a legend...hope he is ok

Montana

Post by Montana »

Amazing show... probably one of the most rounded shows they done in a long time. I’ll do star ratings tomorrow, but i’d Say the ladder way was close to 5. The tag match and Roh title were near 4 star matches. The rest not far behind.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:01 pm Marty Scurll was announced for the October House of Glory show.
He's announced for a pre-show appereance so he's not wrestling.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great show, will write something tomorrow since its 5am here haha.

ROH Summer Supercard

Villain Enterprises vs. The Kingdom ⭐⭐⭐

PJ Black vs. Marty Scurll ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Kelly Klein (c) vs. Theesa Steelz ⭐⭐

Bandido/Haskins vs. Gresham/Lethal ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4

[No DQ] Rush vs. Dalton Castle ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Shane Taylor (c) vs. Tracy Williams ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

CMLL Trios ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Taven (c) vs. Shelley ⭐⭐⭐3/4

[Ladder War VIII] The Briscoes vs. GOD ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I thought the show ended with a GREAT call by Ian Riccaboni - pointing out how much it is taking out of the Briscoes to KEEP having to go through these crazy violent matches.

Respect to all four of those guys. I don’t know where it will stand up in the history of ‘Ladder War’ as time passes, but they beat the absolute sh*t out of each other to the point that it was hard to watch at times.

(And I really liked Taven/Shelley too. I never believed we’d be seeing a title change - much as I’d prefer the belt off Taven now - but it was a fun match).

All in, it was a fun show which probably sums up where ROH are right now. Some really good stuff, some really bad stuff, lots that felt cold, undercooked and lacking in any kind of buzz or x-factor. But everyone worked hard, the matches that needed time to deliver got plenty. I’m not sure this was a show which will win back any fans who have drifted away - but one that did enough to keep those people who are sticking around relatively interested.

As an aside - ROH really needs an overhaul of its entrance themes. Like I said, I’ve not seen a whole load of ROH in 2019 - but almost every one is generic and instantly forgettable. Fan participation and getting the crowd pumped for a match begins with the entrance. It’s incredibly difficult when every wrestler comes out to generic free song from free music database #68

(Notable exceptions to Silas, Dalton and a couple of others...)
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

McXal wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:07 pm I thought the show ended with a GREAT call by Ian Riccaboni - pointing out how much it is taking out of the Briscoes to KEEP having to go through these crazy violent matches.

Respect to all four of those guys. I don’t know where it will stand up in the history of ‘Ladder War’ as time passes, but they beat the absolute sh*t out of each other to the point that it was hard to watch at times.

(And I really liked Taven/Shelley too. I never believed we’d be seeing a title change - much as I’d prefer the belt off Taven now - but it was a fun match).

All in, it was a fun show which probably sums up where ROH are right now. Some really good stuff, some really bad stuff, lots that felt cold, undercooked and lacking in any kind of buzz or x-factor. But everyone worked hard, the matches that needed time to deliver got plenty. I’m not sure this was a show which will win back any fans who have drifted away - but one that did enough to keep those people who are sticking around relatively interested.

As an aside - ROH really needs an overhaul of its entrance themes. Like I said, I’ve not seen a whole load of ROH in 2019 - but almost every one is generic and instantly forgettable. Fan participation and getting the crowd pumped for a match begins with the entrance. It’s incredibly difficult when every wrestler comes out to generic free song from free music database #68

(Notable exceptions to Silas, Dalton and a couple of others...)
Totally agree about the music. ROH is really lacking in creative direction. Other companies really dominate when it comes to that stuff so ROH feels very indy-ish in comparison. They just need some new creative minds to freshen things up.

Like, this GCW show started right when ROH ended. And dude, every single person has looked great on this show. If I were a wrestler, I'd want to work for GCW because everybody gets to look good. I realize ROH has to "follow the rules" a little more than a company like GCW. But still, you'd think that all the extra money that ROH has would allow them to make it cooler than it is. It just feels stale.

The great talent in ROH is still great talent. But man, the framing of a strong promotion REALLY helps things. Like dude, Jungle Boy vs Jimmy Lloyd had no business being as good as it was. But the crowd was hot and they LOVED it. ROH used to be that promotion from 2002-2005/6. They were so damn cool.