Summer Supercard Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Summer Supercard Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 am Roh confirmed it ladder war the Briscoes vs guerillas of destiny in Toronto
Ouu yesss!!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Weirdly stacked show and it's even an weirder thing that they have not put Briscoes/GOD on any PPVs this year. On paper this looks better than Best in the World and could be better than whatever their plans are for Death Before Dishonor. Maybe billing certain events as PPV just matters less in this era?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's confirmed castle vs rush in a no dq match in Toronto
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

A first-time-ever tag team match featuring four of the most talented athletes in Ring of Honor has been signed for Summer Supercard in Toronto on Aug. 9, as LifeBlood’s Bandido and Mark Haskins will face Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham.

Until recently, one could say that this bout typifies what ROH is all about. All four men have been regarded as some of the most honorable competitors in ROH, but that appears to no longer be the case based on Gresham’s sudden change in attitude.

Gresham used a low blow to defeat Silas Young -- in a Pure Rules Match, no less -- at the Best in the World pay-per-view last month. Then he used a foreign object to win a Four Corner Survival Match on the most recent episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling.”

Lethal confronted his friend after the latter match about his questionable tactics, but Gresham wasn’t receptive. Gresham said he came to ROH to restore honor, but he failed. He said the competitors cheat and lie, so he learned how to play their game and he’s going to be the best at it.

LifeBlood’s mission statement upon arrival in ROH also was to restore honor, and they remain committed to doing so. However, while they prefer to play by the rules and adhere to the Code of Honor, they won’t back down from a fight, as evidenced by Bandido, Haskins and Tracy Williams’ victory over ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Champions Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll, PCO and Brody King) in a non-title Philadelphia Street Fight on TV last weekend.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wierd match considering what they could have done but it will be a very good match I'm sure, will Gresham turn on Jay or do you think they'll leave it until the TV tapings?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Great Match...gresham heel turn confírmed in Toronto?
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Lets just hope the match doesnt get screwed for the storyline. Gresham can fully turn after the match!!!!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so far...

Ladder War for ROH World Tag Team Titles
Jay & Mark Briscoe (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)

ROH World Title Match
Matt Taven (c) vs. Alex Shelley

ROH World Television Title Match
Shane Taylor (c) vs. Tracy WIlliams

No-disqualification Match
Rush vs. Dalton Castle

WOH World Title Match
Kelly Klein (c) vs. Tasha Steelz

Lifeblood (Bandido & Mark Haskins) vs. Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham

CMLL Trios Match
Caristico, Soberano Jr. & Stuka Jr. vs. Barbaro Cavernario, Hechicero & Templario

REALLY GOOD CARD FOR THIS SHOW.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WWE and ROH both deserve blame for making this one of the most lukewarm "destination weekends" in quite some time. I shudder to imagine it without Takeover.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Whole card looks great to me.

Briscoes and GOD is gonna be nuts.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 am so far...

Ladder War for ROH World Tag Team Titles
Jay & Mark Briscoe (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)

ROH World Title Match
Matt Taven (c) vs. Alex Shelley

ROH World Television Title Match
Shane Taylor (c) vs. Tracy WIlliams

No-disqualification Match
Rush vs. Dalton Castle

WOH World Title Match
Kelly Klein (c) vs. Tasha Steelz

Lifeblood (Bandido & Mark Haskins) vs. Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham

CMLL Trios Match
Caristico, Soberano Jr. & Stuka Jr. vs. Barbaro Cavernario, Hechicero & Templario

REALLY GOOD CARD FOR THIS SHOW.

This is a fantastic card aside from the lack of interest I have in the WOH and it will be another Matt Taven win.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I’m really liking the show, but seems a bit they promote it as a njpw/cmll show, and a majority seems like Roh.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Well built and put together card with a few things that could really push a lot of guys forward if ROH uses the time during and after the matches well.

This is how these cards should be going forward, instead of brining in 10 or however many guys just bring in say 4 for a couple of months build a rivalry for guys in ROH that will help get everyone over. I hope this means it's the end to the multiple Global Wars tours, limit it say one that would end up going into a Summer Show like this. Have Best in the World later on or make sure the PPV presents these NJPW/ROH story lines as it works with the name of the show.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am Great Match...gresham heel turn confírmed in Toronto?
What does a Gresham heel turn really accomplish overall? He's already had a series with Lethal and while it was entertaining, I'm not sure it's something worth repeating. At the same time, Lethal has been stuck in the series with Kenny King that wasn't that great. Perhaps a better approach would be to have Lethal follow suit and have them both turn heel and remain a tag team in order to pursue the tag titles later in the year. I'm doubtful that happens though.
AnHonorableMention

Zhuge1 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 am
monster mafia wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:41 am Great Match...gresham heel turn confírmed in Toronto?
What does a Gresham heel turn really accomplish overall? He's already had a series with Lethal and while it was entertaining, I'm not sure it's something worth repeating. At the same time, Lethal has been stuck in the series with Kenny King that wasn't that great. Perhaps a better approach would be to have Lethal follow suit and have them both turn heel and remain a tag team in order to pursue the tag titles later in the year. I'm doubtful that happens though.

Gresham/Lethal vs ANX tag feud would rule
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

anx faces ? they were over before king leaves for tna,
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:04 pm anx faces ? they were over before king leaves for tna,
Preferably
Captain Podcast
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

Id love a run with Gresh and Lethal that was similar to the face/heel dynamics of the Sting/Luger tag title run in 1995. Where yes, Gresham was a heel, but he was also Lethal's friend and won't betray him.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I don't think there's much thought put to ROH storylines right now. I think Lethal and Gresham are partnered up and working a program right now simply because they like to work together. Because ROH is pretty aimless with their booking in 2019.

Not that I have a problem with anything Lethal/Gresham-related, though. I always like watching those guys.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

That really IS a good card, though. First good one in a while for ROH. Lucha 6 man, the Lethal/Gresham tag, Tracy Williams in a title match, Ladder War. All that stuff sounds good. Taven as champ still sucks, though. But not enough to bring down a pretty solid card.