Jeff Cobb Should Win The Strap

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WebConn

Jeff Cobb Should Win The Strap

Post by WebConn »

Hello I've been gone from this board for 3 months cuz I feel some of the posters here on dickheads but I'm back with a very important post (take that line with some tact, tongue and cheek doesn't transfer well into text esp on this board)

I'd put the strap on Jeff Cobb two weeks from now, he's too good not to make Champion, it's like Dalton at the end of 17 the buzz around him warrants a run IMO.
Taven isn't a bad wrestler he has grown on me, he's come along way since wrestling in those purple bike shorts, Jay Lethal didn't wrestle himself for an hour Taven can rise to the occasion. When it comes to character even with the lizard king conspiracy act it all comes off as second rate and indie wrestling, Taven to me doesn't have the look on a World Champion, like him holding the top championship kind of knocks your promotion down a peg. Cobb on the other hand has the amateur background, the look, he's good on the mic (Taven is too) and has a credibilitynwith the fans. For example look at these videos ROH has posted to promote the Title Match. They are positioning intentional or not, Cobb as the mega face champion.

As for Rush, Cobb should hold the title BITW to Final Battle with Rush being the man to beat him. IDK where Cobb goes after his contract expires as you know WWE is gonna be looking at him, but ROH should definitely pull the trigger and run with a guy while they have him. It seems to be the ROH booking weakness of not wanted to invest too much in someone whose only gonna be a round for a year or so I can see the argument in that but start building a mid card guy up to take that person's place once they leave. Whats Tracy Williams doing? Why is he not being groomed for a top spot? Smae with the War Machine win from Coast to Coast. Why didn't they ride that into a gradual rise to the top of the tag division as the Briscoes dominated as tag champs for a year with C2C dethroning the Briscoes at Marchs Anniversary show. I digress, put the belt on Cobb.
Montana

Re: Jeff Cobb Should Win The Strap

Post by Montana »

I don’t think too many would disagree with you, but it will come down to the best candidate who has 12+ left on their contract. I have to imagine between Cobb, Marty, rush, and bandido who I believe have less than 12 months are strong candidates if they sign a 2 year deal.

If Cobb leaves then a 6 months a title reign doesn’t make much sense to me.

ROH does need a spark, and I’ve liked Taven’s run thus far... but not sure I’d have him stop it yet.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

You don't think ROH needs a spark? Nothing ever happens on TV, nothing is exciting or urgent feuds last way too long etc.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I DO think ROH needs a spark... I'm just not sold on putting the belt on Cobb with like 6 months left on his contract will put them in a good position if he bolts. I'm not quite sure what that spark should be yet though... I think ROH had hoped the Enzo/Cass would have ended up being better received. Maybe they try and get another big ex-wwe guy that AEW passes on. I gotta imagine ROH still has some money to sign a good name free agent or two, plus even more next year with many more deals expiring.

As for nothing happening on TV, and feuds taking too long... my thoughts are that ROH has a unique way to present their product. The live shows (ROH on Tour) are mostly all pretty solid shows, and help move the storylines. The TV does as well, but it does move slower. The TV is designed to hype the PPV and HonorClub. Personally i enjoy a longer feud, then say a WWE feud where either they wrestle weekly for a month, trade wins, and nothing ever comes of it. If done right, a slow build, should help lead to anticipation for the match.

ROH has it's flaws, and although i like the TV show.... it's clear it's not being distributing in a way to grow the product... Nor is the product so great it draws people online.

IF i'm ROH though, i'm putting new contracts in front of Cobb, Rush , Bandido right now. ... plus several other guys.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I never say anything this far out, but looking at how dire two of the biggest shows of the summer are looking, I think they should take a hard alee from their current direction and pitch out to New Japan to borrow a less-used star to be champion: Suzuki, Zack, Juice, EVIL, Taichi. That or form their own Los Ingos and immediately punt the title to that leader.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

No inside knowledge on this one but just reading the internet Cobb signed with ROH short term to get into New Japan long term.

I think Cobb has done some of the best work of his career in ROH in a very short time. With WebConn in spirit.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

the problem is cobb in the g1
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

That's why I don't want to see Cobb in the G1.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Cobb in G1 confirmed, a few names not in, which could mean those guys are headed to the ROH summer show, possibly a couple before, maybe Suzuki vs Taven for the ROH title?!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

not in this year g1: YOSHI-HASHI, Minoru Suzuki, Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, Yuji Nagata, Mikey Nicholls, & Henare.