Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

Post by AlexROH »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 pm
kovs27 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 am The crowd was into the show. The only matches that the crowd may have hurt was the last two. The Briscoes are very over in Baltimore and it seemed like some people left after their match.
The folks on the floor with the sons of sandy fork were all relatives including Papa Mike Briscoe
Every time they've go to Baltimore, Briscoes have been super over, tbh, with the full crowd.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 am The crowd was into the show. The only matches that the crowd may have hurt was the last two. The Briscoes are very over in Baltimore and it seemed like some people left after their match.
The folks on the floor with the sons of sandy fork were all relatives including Papa Mike Briscoe
They only moved down to the floor for the Briscoes match. They sit further back off the floor the rest of the show.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

kovs27 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:08 am
They only moved down to the floor for the Briscoes match. They sit further back off the floor the rest of the show.
Ah ok. Still comped so plenty of open space for them ringside which is sad.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 pm
Every time they've go to Baltimore, Briscoes have been super over, tbh, with the full crowd.
When the day comes the briscoes aren’t super over as heels or faces anywhere it’s time to shut down wrestling
Captain Podcast
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 am

The way they setup has been in Baltimore leaves a lot of room on the floor for moving around. I bet if ROH was more popular they could sneak another row of seats on the floor on 3 of the sides. I know a few people moved out of their seats to let the Briscoes get up to the railing to do the hug and flag hand off.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maybe they gonna need to run better buldings...maybe smaller.
AnHonorableMention

kovs27 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:24 am

The way they setup has been in Baltimore leaves a lot of room on the floor for moving around. I bet if ROH was more popular they could sneak another row of seats on the floor on 3 of the sides. I know a few people moved out of their seats to let the Briscoes get up to the railing to do the hug and flag hand off.
I was told athletic commission combined with lack of ticket sales is what makes the distance from the ring so grand.
Captain Podcast
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:52 pm

I was told athletic commission combined with lack of ticket sales is what makes the distance from the ring so grand.
Absolutely could be true. If demand was there I could see another row or 2 added to the floor.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 am

When the day comes the briscoes aren’t super over as heels or faces anywhere it’s time to shut down wrestling
Agree. Hope that day isn't near, tbh.
AnHonorableMention

AlexROH wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Sadly in ROH it feels like it’s creeping closer.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

kovs27 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:52 pm

Absolutely could be true. If demand was there I could see another row or 2 added to the floor.
Maryland athletic commission is a weird group.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 am

nawww
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Hopefully people wake up eventually to aew because even though Fyter fest was a ok show people are saying it's the greatest show of the year and when people do they will run back to Roh or find something newer to get into for a while
Montana

Post by Montana »

The problem is going to be that WWE and AEW will greatly overpay for certain talent. Thus no way ROH or any of the smaller companies will keep up. The other big issue is that Impact and MLW are not laying over, so now you have an interesting competition for the 3rd best US promotion. Impact has been signing a lot of talents, and are trying to get into position to move to AXS tv, or a bigger network. MLW is gaining a lot of exposure through Youtube, and has done a good job building stars.

In an inflated market, much like WWF/WCW/ECW promotions will overspend to "keep up" thus why promotions went out of business. Hell, WWF almost went out of business multiple times in the mid-late 90's. Eventually something will give with all these promotions today.

Think ROH's strategy is to weather the storm, and stay course... and hopefully everything works out. I think they were mostly concerned with AEW, and really need to have peripheral vision on Impact and MLW. The NWA partnership now seems like a good move, but ROH needs to further invest in itself and it's product. Grow their marketing, honor club, social media footprint, talent roster etc,
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I think everybody forgetting new japan is going public next year and has talked about making American brand for new japan like nxt uk is to wwe
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:15 am Hopefully people wake up eventually to aew because even though Fyter fest was a ok show people are saying it's the greatest show of the year and when people do they will run back to Roh or find something newer to get into for a while
Really? It does feel like quite the opposite actually. People are starting to notice the cracks in the product : horrendous pre-shows that are doing more harm than good, dumb comedy by the Bucks and Omega, loads of nepotism/preferential treatment, a very badly booked women's division despite the talent, shitty indy gimmicks being brought up as is, and catering only to the hardcore/BTE crowd even though they need more than that to be viable.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:06 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 am

nawww
As of last check they sold 450 tickets to the Hammerstein. NJPW is running a tour in ROH's markets without them in September. Guys are moving to Japan in order to stop working for ROH, the Allure, the continued disdain from fans that the company has no intriguing challengers to champions, bad booking, and continued slumping houses. It's a matter of time. Not if, but when.
Captain Podcast
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Thelone wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm Really? It does feel like quite the opposite actually. People are starting to notice the cracks in the product : horrendous pre-shows that are doing more harm than good, dumb comedy by the Bucks and Omega, loads of nepotism/preferential treatment, a very badly booked women's division despite the talent, shitty indy gimmicks being brought up as is, and catering only to the hardcore/BTE crowd even though they need more than that to be viable.
Well every promotion has super fans that think that their favourite promotion can do no wrong. I have seen plenty of rationalizations for why Fyter Fest was one of the best wrestling shows this year, while some conceded by saying that it is minor show and it doesn't really matter.

I think that they have good amount of fresh matches left (like Moxley vs everyone) and they'll do great for a while, but I'm sceptical about them being all that hot in 2020.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Lynx wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:16 amWell every promotion has super fans that think that their favourite promotion can do no wrong.
What? Nooo! What makes you think that?
I have seen plenty of rationalizations for why Fyter Fest was one of the best wrestling shows this year, while some conceded by saying that it is minor show and it doesn't really matter.
I don't know, I had the impression that the show got way more mixed reactions than DON, even though I thought it was slightly better overall. Still just fine though, but a small step in the right direction at least.
I think that they have good amount of fresh matches left (like Moxley vs everyone) and they'll do great for a while, but I'm sceptical about them being all that hot in 2020.
Yeah, same here, especially if they keep going with the huge amount of bullshit they've shown so far. Fyter Fest and FftF might be B or glorified house shows, but I do think of them as their TV for the time being between DON and All Out, and the fact that they aren't selling those out is already a red flag for the actual TV shows starting this october.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

In discussion about G1 Dallas ticket sales I saw some people quoting Meltzer that basically Fyter Fest and FftF hurt ticket sales of G1 Dallas due to people flying to those AEW shows.

Now, I don't subscribe to Meltzer and I have no idea if he actually said that or not, but if thats a legit thing then you have to wonder how often will these fans fly to AEW shows? I think many people can justify it when it is first/second/third show ever, but when they start doing TV you have to figure that they will have to draw mostly from local markets. Things can get ugly real fast.