Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

Post by Wilson »

Nice to see the pride flag pin noticeably absent on Caprice when standing next to Ian and Colt.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Crowd looks fine...

Preshow was solid. Flip vs rush was probably only like a 3.25-3.5, But the nwa segment was good.

Dragon lee vs Dalton castle now... this should be good.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'm in attendance. Crowd looks similar to last years show. Maybe a little less.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Wilson wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm Nice to see the pride flag pin noticeably absent on Caprice when standing next to Ian and Colt.
He is a man of the cloth, after all.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Strong start to the ppv...

Castle v dragon lee 3.75-4.0 ish
Kenny King vs jay lethal 4.25
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

TYFDK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Wilson wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm Nice to see the pride flag pin noticeably absent on Caprice when standing next to Ian and Colt.
Not a fair characterization of Caprice. He's not that type of religious freak.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Back to the subject at hand. Rush/Flip, Lethal/King, Lee/Castle, and Silas/Gresham have been great. The women's match unshockingly sucked. But Maria's debut I hope begins running off the nepotism broads.
Captain Podcast
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Oh I’m just making a joke. I know he’s a good man. They probably just didn’t have one for him or something.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Pretty sure Flip is hurt again. Looked like a real bad landing
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ugh, the whole flip thing. Good ppv, questionable booking yet again. Seems like the night of the heels.
AnHonorableMention

TYFDK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:59 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Oh I’m just making a joke. I know he’s a good man. They probably just didn’t have one for him or something.
Really I believe it's on Ian as he had a Pride Month shirt, that should have brought pins for everyone too. Don't know for sure, but if it was Colt's pin I'd have hoped he brought one for everyone.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

rushed main event? wow...i mean, roh....just wow.

cobb losing the streak in a main event of 10 minutes or a little more??? :roll:
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ugh... main event was 9 minutes 50 seconds. They must have been up against the time limit. In retrospect, the pure rules and 6 man got double the time. Let that sink in. Really liked the ppv up until about the last 20-30 mins. Hard show to rate.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Show ended at 11:55 so they didn't have a lot more time. Taven and Cobb didn't really gel but maybe more time would have gotten them into a better groove. I doubt they showed in on air but Taven came back out and cut a promo. He talked about his tryout match being in Baltimore and then basically thank you for sticking with ROH and if you continue to do so we'll keep doing everything possible to keep you happy. He specified the wrestlers would keep giving their bodies in the ring.....didn't mention anything about the booking keeping anyone happy.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Best in the World was "a show". Not a horrible one, not a one I'd recomend. I mean, everything right now feels plain and without life, no matter if they do some new things (like the 4th member of VE or Maria Manic), nothing feels special. I don't know if that just me or it is something you all feel as long time ROH fans too.

Some matches were too long (opener and pure rules) and there were, again, too many segments. I dont know whos running production, but main events without time has been a semi regular thing since ROH went on live PPV back in 2014, and that's something you should avoid.

Main event was garbage, you could see both Taven and Cobb's faces. They had a big spot with the story of Cobb being undefeated and Taven having to fight without The Kingdom, but when they were just 3 minutes into the match, Todd Sinclair screamed "5 MINUTES", and they had to rush everything. No drama nor emotion for what should have been a big moment; it's like if Lethal at BITW 2015 would have beaten Briscoe in a shitty under 10 minute main event lol. Also, it looks like Cobb isn't gonna resing bc if he does, I dont know why the hell he dropped the TV title and lost to undefeated streak to Taven in a match without any kind of special built, and I don't care about G1 Climax bc that just 3 shows without your champ.

The rest of the card was okey, nothing bad but not a single great match (over 4 stars). My favourite one was Lethal vs. King, good storytelling there. Bandido vs. Taylor was good too, but not as good as their TV match, IMO. The Six Man Tag match was your usual crazy brawl, love Villain Enterprises, but I dont know why the hell they want to turn them heels; it's like, yeah, VE and Lifeblood are gonna do some cool matches, but if you wanna put over Lifeblood as babyfaces, it isnt gonna work bc VE is super over, no matter how "heelish" you wanna make them look. Also, I dont understand why we fuckin have to get Bully and SOS on PPV doing nothing, another waste of time.

I liked Maria's debut and how they are going with Dalton and Rush, but I found Dalton's match quite sloppy and slow (in a bad way). Looks like they are doing Rush vs. Dalton in the next big show (I hope Summer Supercard or maybe Manhattan Mayhem) and then Rush vs. Taven for the World Title; since Rush has a contract with CMLL until 2021, I wish ROH give the strap to Rush, he's a fuckin superstar. I'd love to see Cobb and Bandido with some gold too, but it looks like ROH don't wanna invest time in people they think are leaving the company.` Maybe they should book them better so they like what they are doing so they decide to resing, idk.

Overall, an average show. Good (not great) wrestling and a bad main event. ROH needs to improve and find their niche, because if you ask me, I don't know how to explain you what exactly is ROH. They did some good things after The Elite left, but since post-Anniversary, booking and the product overall has been lifeless.

[Pre-Show] Rush vs. Flip Gordon ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Dalton Castle vs. Dragon Lee ⭐⭐⭐1/4

[Best of 3] Kenny King vs. Jay Lethal ⭐⭐⭐3/4+

[Pure Rules] Silas Young vs. Jonathan Gresham ⭐⭐⭐

The Briscoes vs. Eli Drake & Nick Aldis ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Shane Taylor (c) vs. Bandido ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Villain Enterprises (PCO, Brody King & Marty Scurll) (c) vs. PJ Black & Lifeblood (Mark Haskins & Tracy Williams) ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Matt Taven (c) vs. Jeff Cobb ⭐⭐

Final rating: 6 / 10.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I agree a lot with Alex... this show had some positives for me, but then the negatives ALWAYS seem to detract from the good. That main event was inexcusable. I'm sorry, but no excuses to not give the main event time. Several matches they could have cut short. They need to give that main event spot 40 minutes for intro/match/post match... backwards plan from there. Not rocket science.

The whole Flip thing for me didn't work. VE isn't really heels to begin with. so turning to join them, isn't really make sense. Adding more heels doesn't make sense. (My theory, Flip was tired of being a babyface, OR didn't want that to grow stale before his contract is up) - Hopefully Flip is OK though. Looks like he's going to miss some time : (

Also, Not good for ROH that Cobb, Lethal, and Bandido all lost. I assume Rush, Marty SCrull, Lee, Flip and Castle will listen to offers from they are FA's as well. I'm starting to get very worried about the 2020 ROH roster.

Anyways, back to the show...

Flip vs. Rush - 3.25 - Should have been better to hype the ppv (more like Dalton/Dragon)
Dalton v. Dragon Lee 3.75 - Nice opener... little sloppy, but fun exciting match
Kenny King vs. Jay Lethal - 4.0 - Match of the night for me. I was invested in the story, and think they helped push to 4 stars for me , but can see other rating it lower.
Grasham vs. SIlas - 3.25 - I'd LOVE to see an annual Pure Rules tournament. (dont need a belt imo, as it would get stale)
Briscoes vs. Aldis /Drake 3.0 - Ending sucked, match was good though.
Taylor vs. Bandido - 3.25 - Wasn't crisp , but good match.
VE vs. Lifeblood - 3.5 Good match , but no reason to go 18 minutes, and leave only 9 for the main event. The flip thing i wasn't a fan of... Love surprises... but thought PJ black turning on Lifeblood made a lot more sense.
Cobb vs. Taven 3.0 - Good match for the time... bad look for ROH, Cobb losing his streak like that, and especially bad for Taven proving his doubters wrong.

I'd probably go 7/10 for me, as i enjoy and was entertained by about 90% of the show, despite a few slow spots. That last 20-30 minutes really detracted though. ROH REALLY needed this show to be the best of the weekend... and i don't think they got the job done. Great effort in the ring, but nothing was crisp. Lots of spots seemed slightly off all night. The booking/management decisions have not helped. No reason their roster can't keep on pace with AEW in terms of quality. I don't expect ROH to compete with AEW, but their in ring quality should be close. I really don't think ROH realizes how close Impact and MLW are to ROH now. ROH is close of dropping from the #2 promotion to the #5 promotion in 1 year.
Last edited by Montana on Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

BUT COBB DOING JOBS IN THE G1 WHILE BEING ROH CHAMPION!!! Because you know, THAT is what will devalue the belt/company and not years of garbage booking or a boring midcarder holding the belt right now. The sad part is that you could probably have booked a match or two between Cobb and whoever beats him (obviously not Moxley/Juice/Naito/White/Yano, but the other four would be fair), but let's keep the belt on 0°K champion over there because he will never leave.

I also love this stupid idea of "We can't put the belt on someone who might leave in the future". I feel like this has been the excuse for not putting the (big) belt on Scurll since day 1, and yet he's still here FOUR YEARS LATER (not for long anymore, but that's not the point). Also, just a random thought, but if a wrestler's ceiling in this day and age is ROH, it's because HE'S NOTHING SPECIAL AND YOU SHOULDN'T PUT THE BELT ON HIM.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

they really need some help on production of the ppvs...you can do that ve segment on the tv tapings.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"If the plan going in was for Taven to look good by beating Cobb for the first time, you almost have to look at the PPV time left and on-the-fly change the finish to Cobb squashing Taven. Think about how different the reaction to the show would be today."

"This put Taven in a terrible spot. People won’t remember him ending Cobb’s streak and looking strong...they’ll remember him as the guy in the the lackluster rushed Main Event."

SO TRUE!

Very much agree with ROH Pittsburgh Fan
Montana

Post by Montana »

I like that idea of too, but the Only problem is that Cobb’s contract is up at the end of sept I believe. Thus you’d have to hit shot the belt to rush or something after Cobb if he leaves.