Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Best In The World 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

Post by monster mafia »

my fantasy bookig for this show

change couple of matches,...dragon lee vs flip , castle vs rush...rush and lee wins

in the main event of taven vs cobb, castle cost cobb the match and after that joins the kingdom..every castle needs a kingdom an all that

you send cobb for the g1 and put rush in this feud vs kingdom and he creates los ingobernables of usa and we have a program until final battle with taven vs rush for the world tittle.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Based on the article on the website for Gresham vs. Silas a "Pure Rules Match" is just a normal match in which the "emphasis is on technical wrestling, and any bending of the rules will not be tolerated by the referee."
That second part is kind of stupid in that it just means "the rules must be followed" (or, in other words, you're more likely to get a DQ finish in this PPV match") and the first part is so vague as to meaningless. Kicks aren't technical wrestling. Are they not allowed?

If you're going to call something a "Pure Rules" match in ROH then it needs to operate under the well-established "pure wrestling" rule-set. Anything else will just cause confusion, and takes an completely unnecessary crap on the history of the company.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don't know if they are simple avoiding relaying the rules because they think we already know them, or they might see them as to convoluted to try and explain for now. I do hope the rules are brought back or at least adapted slightly to make it this ROH's own.

There is a nice little video preview on Instagram of the PPV that has really nice graphic and motion work, similar to work done in WWE, it feels fresh and hopefully they can start adding that to other parts of the product too.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Is anybody actually excited for this card? Looks like the worst lineup for an ROH ppv in a long time.

Not sure what they were going for here, it just looks like a lot of mismatches and weird stuff.

Magnus and Colt Cabana vs the Briscoes?

This is a PPV, not a throwaway Honor Club show. It just doesn't seem like it.

The preview video for this show that they just put up is also poor quality. Seems like they are skimping on literally EVERYTHING these days.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

briscoes vs nwa is a history right now and with god out of the ppv, cabana and aldis makes sense...

the card is not bad...i dont know about the trios tittle, i hope they dont put burger and his team on ppv...( i like isom, he needs a singles push)
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I will admit to looking forward to this show. Part of it is I'll be there but it's a good card. I have interest in every match announced so far.
Big Red Machine

It's got potential to be quite good, but there is also certainly the potential to be a "you gave us THIS on a PPV? Really?" kind of card.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I'm really looking forward to it for its potential, if everything delivers like i imagine it will I think it will be one of the best all-round cards for a while. Everything has meaning for the most part and even if it's just a very minor connection there is something in every match.

Just on the 3 man title defence, it expect it to be Life Blood plus PJ Black against Villain Enterprises, also after what happened in Chicago, also it wouldn't surprise me if Bully Ray and the rest of the crew attack afterwards and that might set up another match like Bandido against Taylor.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Would be nice if ROH updated the PPV card on their website...

Overall i think it's a pretty strong card, but i guess i can see why some may not love it. I think most of the dislike comes from people disliking Taven and Taylor as champs, BUT you get the chance to maybe see Cobb and Bandido get the belts. I'm liking the Dalton v. Rush feud.. and the Dalton v. Dragon Lee match could be amazing. Rush and Flip has the potential to be really good too. Silas and Gresham has been built up well. I'm enjoying the Briscoes vs. NWA feud. It's quite amazing how ROH is able to continually come up with new interesting storylines and feuds for the Briscoes. Pretty solid card plus Jay Lethal, Villian Enterprises, and Lifeblood matches haven't been announced yet. Last but not least, that's a pretty big main event. Undefeated Jeff Cobb vs. Matt Taven. I gotta imagine this will be a hell of a match, no matter how it ends up.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

They announced Kelly and Jenny vs Mandy and Angelina in a tag team match for the ppv
Big Red Machine

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:09 am They announced Kelly and Jenny vs Mandy and Angelina in a tag team match for the ppv
OH COME ON! We can't even get a damn title match on the PPV?! This just means that this boring Allure crap is going to be drawn out for another two or three months.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Probably until final battle
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

This is easily the least excited I've been for ROH in a long time. I feel like they have taken steps away from what I (and most likely a lot of you) loved about ROH. I've been really checked out on them since the MSG show, which I felt was a HUGE missed opportunity for the company. They had their largest audience and instead of putting on amazing matches, most of their time was devoted to angles that fell completely flat. I really think that Bully has to go. He's not putting anyone over, and he's drawing so much negativity to the product. I think The Allure has to go. The women's division is not great (to put it lightly) and they are definitely not good for it. I'm glad ROH listened and backed off on Enzo and Cass though.

I think Cobb needs to get the title. He has a lot of buzz around him and can help draw attention to the company. Yeah, he's in G1, but NJPW obviously likes him and will probably be willing to protect him more than they already probably were. Same with Bandido put that TV title on him.

It's a good looking card though. I work that night so I won't be able to watch it live. I hope I'm able to catch it the next day. I hope I can care enough to watch it the next day. I still haven''t watched State of The Art, and I'm usually right on top of these shows.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Good match, another defense for VE. I wish they have a proper feud, because yes, PCO and King are feuding with Briscoes, but they are just 2 and not 3. I hope ROH really books Scurll strong this summer, when he's gone in autum, he is really gonna be missed.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am Good match, another defense for VE. I wish they have a proper feud, because yes, PCO and King are feuding with Briscoes, but they are just 2 and not 3. I hope ROH really books Scurll strong this summer, when he's gone in autum, he is really gonna be missed.
They're trying to use him to get PCO and Brody over. Not sure if it's working. He'll definitely go down as a missed opportunity, because he never even got to really be a main eventer in ROH. The crowd was always receptive to him at that level, but ROH didn't want to listen. And now we are punished with Matt Taven as the champion.

ROH's roster is not just bad, it's like COMICALLY bad at this point. Ring of Honor is seriously close to doing some crap like Matt Taven vs Hurricane Helms for a PPV main event. Matt Taven vs Tommy Dreamer. Matt Taven vs anybody, though, is not a main event. It's sad.

And you know guys like Rush and Bandido are just waiting on one of the big promotions to pick them up. The good guys, guys like Bandido and Jeff Cobb, they are not going to be winning those big PPV matches unless the plan is for them to drop the belts shortly afterwards. So we get Matt Taven beating Jeff Cobb with some crap finish, and Shane Taylor somehow beating Bandido. It's a joke.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am Good match, another defense for VE. I wish they have a proper feud, because yes, PCO and King are feuding with Briscoes, but they are just 2 and not 3. I hope ROH really books Scurll strong this summer, when he's gone in autum, he is really gonna be missed.
The six-man title matches (especially when one of the teams isn't a solid trio) are always just matches, but Villain Enterprises have practically been the most reliable part of the company this year. Though there was probably more they could have wrung out of him throughout the year in singles, his presence in a lot of the secondary feuds in ROH has helped so many of the newer or less established talents. Hope we get to see one more well-utilized singles feud out of him before he goes (like Rush, Cobb, or Castle).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
The six-man title matches (especially when one of the teams isn't a solid trio) are always just matches, but Villain Enterprises have practically been the most reliable part of the company this year. Though there was probably more they could have wrung out of him throughout the year in singles, his presence in a lot of the secondary feuds in ROH has helped so many of the newer or less established talents. Hope we get to see one more well-utilized singles feud out of him before he goes (like Rush, Cobb, or Castle).
Possibly with the 4th member of VE, depending on who that is.
Montana

Post by Montana »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm
They're trying to use him to get PCO and Brody over. Not sure if it's working. He'll definitely go down as a missed opportunity, because he never even got to really be a main eventer in ROH. The crowd was always receptive to him at that level, but ROH didn't want to listen. And now we are punished with Matt Taven as the champion.

ROH's roster is not just bad, it's like COMICALLY bad at this point. Ring of Honor is seriously close to doing some crap like Matt Taven vs Hurricane Helms for a PPV main event. Matt Taven vs Tommy Dreamer. Matt Taven vs anybody, though, is not a main event. It's sad.

And you know guys like Rush and Bandido are just waiting on one of the big promotions to pick them up. The good guys, guys like Bandido and Jeff Cobb, they are not going to be winning those big PPV matches unless the plan is for them to drop the belts shortly afterwards. So we get Matt Taven beating Jeff Cobb with some crap finish, and Shane Taylor somehow beating Bandido. It's a joke.
Using Marty to get PCO and Brody over makes sense if Marty is leaving. ALso, it is working as PCO has been getting bigger reactions than Marty. Marty was given main event opportunities at some of their biggest shows. Supercard of Honor and G1 Supercard. I'm sure if he would commit to ROH he would get a championship run.

I get you don't like Taven and Taylor, but saying the roster is weak based on two champions isn't a fair assessment. Clearly Helms and Dreamer do not work for the company. ROH can't rely on putting belts on short term contracts bc they bolt ASAP. Clearly 2019 is a rebuilding year as ROH lost 9 core roster members to AEW, so you have to elevate guys like Taven, King, Taylor , Etc. They've brought in a bunch of good new talent, but looks like they had to be fixable / shorter contracts to get some of those top free agents like Cobb/Rush/Bandido... with the hopes they like/enjoy working ROH and stay.

I'm thinking some mix of Cobb, Bandido, Rush will stay with ROH longer, and likely stay towards the top of the card. The newer work horses like Haskins and Williams will probably elevate over the next 1-2 years as well.

Show me one wrestling company who puts a belt on a guy if they know they are leaving the company. Doesn't make any sense. ROH can't rely on wrestlers using ROH as a stepping stone.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

TNA did it with AJ Styles. If that doesn't tell you it's a bad idea then nothing will.