Initial Thoughts On ROH on Hdnet

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chris Xtreme

Initial Thoughts On ROH on Hdnet

Post by Chris Xtreme »

ROH has the first 8 episodes of Hdnet up for Ringside members. I didn't get a chance to watch the show when it was on so it was interesting to watch it and compare it to ROH on Sinclair.

My first impression was that the production values we're better then the ones Sinclair has. The lighting and audio was much better. I must say that the graphics are mostly better. They also had a nice backdrop for interviews. I noticed better camera shots and the venue looked far more major league then the arena's Sinclair has used.

I really think ROH on Hdnet's production values we're pretty close to what you'd need to be on a popular Cable Network. And it should be a level that Sinclair aspires too.

Of course the former show was actually produced by Hdnet and not ROH. So that explains the better quality. As Sinclair's ROH produces its own show. And has largely a new TV crew. And probably not the same resources as Hdnet.

The wrestling on the first episode of the Hdnet show was nice. We got four good matches and they really hyped the main event between Tyler Black vs Jimmy Jacobs well. I do think the Sinclair show does a better job of trying to sell the product and perhaps Hdnet gave a little too much away. Just based on watching the first episode. So Sinclair gets points there.

The show made me wish Tyler Black was still in ROH, its a shame he is still in WWE Developmental and not on TV. It also made me want to see heel Jimmy Jacobs again. As he was very good in the role. I also liked the interviewer then used. He'd be pretty useful for Sinclair as an extra credible face. Mike Hogwood and Dave Prazak seemed to do a good job. Kevin Kelly is pretty effective though and Nigil is getting better. Probably not as good as Prazak though.

I'm not bashing ROH on Sinclair or anything. It was just interesting to finally be able to watch ROH on HDnet after all these years and see where the product was then to where it was now. Plus so far I've only seen the first episode of Hdnet.
Eating little kids

Re: Initial Thoughts On ROH on Hdnet

Post by Eating little kids »

I liked ROH on HD net But I enjoy the new show SO MUCH better. After watching the first four weeks of the new show I can't help but think this company is going in the right direction. The only thing I liked about The HD net some more then this show is the lighting but thats not really a big deal.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

I was really happy until near the end where it became "Squash, squash, Pump for iPPV, real match." I just felt that almost every match towars the end was a squash. Of course you'd have gems like Davey/Tyler and the Steen/Corino vs. Cabana/Generico street fight, but still it just seemed heavily weighted towards squashes towards the end of the run.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Squashes on TV are an absolute necessity, IMO.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

You don't want to give too much away on free TV when you're trying to sell PPVs and Live Events. That doesn't mean every match has to be a squash match. But the main event matches have to be kept special. You still have to have the right formula to promote though. I look foward to seeing more of the Hdnet show so I can really judge it for myself.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

My favorite wrestling show was Jim Crockett's World Championship Wrestling. It came on Saturday mornings back when I was a kid. Squash match, promo, squash match, promo. Occasionally they'd throw in something special. Nothing but squashes, but man did those guys get over for it.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

I can see how the formula can work, but when I think of ROH, I think of hard hitting action, but I just think other squash matches took away from the style. I understand you can't give the best on tv, but I'd rather see a slower paced Elgin/Corino match then a Alex Payne/Elgin match.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Elgin squashing Payne is going to do a lot more to get Elgin over than Elgin and Corino having a well-fought match. But I can enjoy either way, I just think the squashes are very important. And one of the things ROH does wrong is have competitive matches with guys like Ciampa against jobbers. Those should be straight up squashes with no offense from the jobber whatsoever.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

I remember that there were several ROH World Title and ROH World Tag Team Title matches early in the HDNet run. I think the show started out great and was what actually made me a fan of ROH. I think the show's quality declined in terms of how much I enjoyed it towards the end of its run, but it was a consistently very good-to-great show for much of its first 1.5 years.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Its too bad it was on such a low clearance network. If it was on something like Spike it probably would have got more respect.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I'm always pretty vocal in my thoughts on the successes and failures of the ROH product on HDNet. I thought it had some strengths, but lots of shortcomings and failures too. I've got reviews of all the episodes available to Ringside Members on the below

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/roh2009.php
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

In my opinion, so far ROH on SBG fucking blows HDNet out of the water. It really feels like a TV show they care about rather than a bunch of D card matches along with hype for the next iPPV.