ROH/NJPW WAR OF THE WORLDS 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
TYFDK

Re: ROH/NJPW WAR OF THE WORLDS 2019 OFFICIAL THREAD

Post by TYFDK »

Haven't seen it mentioned but Brody King will be wrestling on the BOSJ tour with New Japan later this month. So congrats to him!

But that explains all of the PCO singles matches on most of the WOTW cards.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i hope gresham and lethal win the tag tittles tonight.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Gonna be behind on these shows. Huge fan of the Avalanche, Nuggets, and Mammoth (National Lacrosse League) and all three are still kicking in the playoffs.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Do Enzo and Cass show up tonight?
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Watching now. Shane Taylor just beat Hikuleo, I didn’t get to see much of the match.

Now Evil and Sanada vs Haskins and Tracy Williams! These cards really have a lot of gems sprinkled throughout. Can’t say that I love every card, but there is some good stuff on every card.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

she is very good!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Missed a couple of the matches but what I did see ranged from fine to great. Everything that you expect to be good/great basically.

With that being said I have no idea about the main event, I honestly can’t say if it was awful or fantastic. Nothing was botched, sloppy or anything, just the pace and psychology felt weird awful the way through and then end it just kind of ended. I have a feeling it won’t exactly be what they were looking for.

Thought Quinn was excellent, the commentary felt way off and Todd Sinclair had a really bad night.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Been a long time ROH fan. Been taking a break from watching the product but still follow it enough to know what's going on. I got Honor Club so I could get good tickets to the Hammerstein and figured since I had it I'd check out the WOTW shows.

Why did they make the commentary team stand all night?

Not very impressed with Matt Taven on guest commentary. He really took me out of the match I was looking forward to the most.

But on the flip side all of the matches were awesome. Seemed like there were some good storylines. Actually hyped for Briscoes-GOD.

Can't wait to see PCO hopefully win the gold tomorrow night and get Taven outta the main event scene.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'll start by saying, i've really been enjoying some of the shows this year, but i honestly think WOTW Buffalo was probably in the bottom half of the shows, which is pretty sad considering these WOTW shows are typically more like super cards. I can't say it was a bad show by any chance. The matches were good, and thought the show was fine... but i guess my expectations weren't quite met with the show.

I thought the show did start off a little slow, with some of the NJPW dojo and WOH matches. SHane and Hikuleo was good but really short. Didn't feel like the show started until lifeblood/Evil and Sanada. Then all the matches were good to great. The main event was a bit odd too, and i was trying to put my finger on it. They def hit some nice spots, and great in ring work... but think the match missed psychology. I didn't feel like either really wanted to hurt the other, or win the match. Felt like they wanted to hit their spots and look good. (flip probably more so than Bandido) But overall, solid match. Just would have liked to see more of a war than spot fest.

Also found it odd that the dojo was featured on the show, while Briscoes, King, Taven, and Dalton who were all their live, weren't in matches. Guess with a 4 show tour, where the super juniors are leaving, it helps spread some things out.

The show did a nice job of promoting some upcoming matches with Taven/PCO and Briscoes vs. GOD.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I'm guessing Flip/Bandido at BOSJ will be better than last nights.

But yeah, idk about Flip, tbh.

He's not BAD. But he's definitely not great or anything. It's hard to put a finger on what he is missing exactly. He does crazy high spots but it's like he lacks the ability to create real drama in a match. It always feels like an exhibition. I'm sure he'll shine in BOSJ. But yeah, not a good look when you're given the main event and you're wrestling BANDIDO and it's not even that great of a match.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So it seems to me that Castle will be working a program with Rush, and Kenny King a program with Lethal. Anyone else get that vibe?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

TYFDK wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:12 am So it seems to me that Castle will be working a program with Rush, and Kenny King a program with Lethal. Anyone else get that vibe?
Yeah, I think that's the plan for BITW.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

TYFDK wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:12 am So it seems to me that Castle will be working a program with Rush, and Kenny King a program with Lethal. Anyone else get that vibe?
Yeah it def looks like it is Castle and RUSH, which makes sense really. Will be interesting to see how far they take it and how long the matches will go. I;m really interested to see where they take Castle, thought it was a good change up on the recent TV episode.

Really enjoy Williams and Haskins as a team it works well, and hopefully it really starts to get over, the same goes for Lethal and Gresham I hope they keep that going.

With Flip, last night it felt like he was trying something and he didn't know how to do it, it was like he was told he had to pace everything out and make things "land", then it felt like he was playing heel at one point. It was all just really wierd and I agree it did feel like they didn't want to injure themselves, although I did feel that Flip hurt his knee early (I maybe wrong though). All they needed to do was have a fifteen minute sprint of going nuts and everyone would be happy. It might have been a look into the future as they want him as the champ at a later date, I'm cool for people learning if that is what it was.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

I agree with a lot of what has been said already. Decent show but in the lower half in terms of quality, Shane/Hikuleo was awesome but way too short.

The main event was weird and they were definitely saving things for BOTSJ...which begs the question why it was changed to be the main event then. On paper, we should know what to expect from these two, and that's the match that gets put in the main event spot?? We don't need to see Flip applying a surfboard stretch that far into the show. The crowd was so hot for that match and they just let it go to waste.

A mess of random thoughts: Shibata's young lions look GREAT. Especially the two in the Kingdom tag. I actually enjoyed a Kingdom tag match. Allure on commentary is death. Allure in general is death, honestly. Kelly Klein (even though I LOVE her) is not a great champion. She needs to work with really good competitors in hopes to hide some flaws. She looked a lot better last night though. Her opponent was not ready for the spot, however. G.o.D./Briscoes feud is really good, great angle last night.

Can't wait for the rest of the shows though! Really looking forward to nearly everything tonight, especially Young/Nagata, and the 4 corner survival. I'm hoping Shane gets his wish and it ends up being for the TV title, Cobb loses but doesn't get pinned, and then Cobb wins the ROH title #1 contender 4 way in Chicago.

edit: AND WHY IS BANDIDO LOSING SO MUCH? Huge mistake in my opinion.
Montana

Post by Montana »

With a future Lethal vs. King feud ... i wonder why they don't get Kenny King's title shot out the way soon. It would be a good B-Show main event with him and Taven , and showcase what they can do. Wonder how long we'll need to wait for it. I feel like too many people are getting title shots, BUT they don't actually happen for 4-6 months down the road. Can't say i hate it, but it's hard to keep track of who all is owed a title match. I assume Lethal is owed a rematch, thought Marty was owed a title match (another that i assume was G1, but they could throw in another) PCO which is tonight, Kenny King from the honor rumble. Anything i'm forgetting? I know the winner of the 4 way will get a title shot too.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

How was the production last night
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I enjoyed the show but yeah, it didn't feel like anything special. My biggest disappointment was the crowd clearly did not know Kojima. A couple little things I took away from the show

- The Kingdom gave the NJ Lions a lot more offense and control of the match than I expected.
- Hikuleo and Shane has a fun little match. Taylor is having a very good year for in ring work.
- LIJ vs. Lifeblood was really good. Near the end a couple of those false finishes got me and I thought Lifebllod had a chance to win.
- 6 Man Tag was another really good match. I know someone earlier in the thread didn't care for Tavens commentary but I felt in most cases it helped push his match with PCO tonight and his eventual defense against Marty. I loved all the craziness and big moves, again the only negative was Kojima getting no reaction.
- With as much intensity the Briscoes/GOD feud has, there is no way that gets settled in a tv match on Sunday. There has to be more.
- I agree with some other comments about Flip and Bandido. They kind of lost my attention during that match. I also prefer a match with a story behind it than a cool dream match situation but I kind of zoned in and out until the end.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Montana wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:39 am With a future Lethal vs. King feud ... i wonder why they don't get Kenny King's title shot out the way soon. It would be a good B-Show main event with him and Taven , and showcase what they can do. Wonder how long we'll need to wait for it. I feel like too many people are getting title shots, BUT they don't actually happen for 4-6 months down the road. Can't say i hate it, but it's hard to keep track of who all is owed a title match. I assume Lethal is owed a rematch, thought Marty was owed a title match (another that i assume was G1, but they could throw in another) PCO which is tonight, Kenny King from the honor rumble. Anything i'm forgetting? I know the winner of the 4 way will get a title shot too.
If King is going to feud with Lethal he could possibly sneak his way into Lethal's rematch.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Rush vs. Pj Black was probably both men’s best Roh Match thus far. PJ black seems to be getting better/more comfortable every match in ROH.

So far, a better show than last night... pretty good stuff here.