Matt Taven's Championship run

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Matt Taven's Championship run

Post by Montana »

What kind of title reign do you think Matt Taven will have? Short-Long title run? Best matches? Who will he drop the belt too? Just wanted to get everyone thoughts. I know him winning the belt had mixed reactions, but he could have a decent reign.

I think he'll either hold for about 4 months or till final Battle. I think if he drops it early, it will be to Rush. I think if he drops it later it will be to someone like Cobb or Bandido. I think he'll have a pretty entertaining/ storyline driven run. Similar to Cody. Wouldn't mind seeing the Kingdom grow.

Thoughts?
SweetDaddy

Re: Matt Taven's Championship run

Post by SweetDaddy »

He'll drop it to Rush in short order.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:29 pm He'll drop it to Rush in short order.
I think is what will happen, too, but I can also see them leaving the belt on him for way too long and without building any challengers up aside for PPVs like the first six months of both Lethal runs.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Rush's contract was only for one year. I doubt they'll put the title on him given that that's the only reason Marty didn't win the belt at MSG. If they do, they'll do it very soon and probably have him drop it back to Taven at Final Battle or something.

I think they need to put the belt on Cobb as soon as possible though. There's only few guys on this roster that have any buzz right now (Cobb, Bandido, Rush, Scurll, PCO) and I think Cobb is the best choice.
Big Red Machine

ActionJeffson wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 pm Rush's contract was only for one year. I doubt they'll put the title on him given that that's the only reason Marty didn't win the belt at MSG. If they do, they'll do it very soon and probably have him drop it back to Taven at Final Battle or something.

I think they need to put the belt on Cobb as soon as possible though. There's only few guys on this roster that have any buzz right now (Cobb, Bandido, Rush, Scurll, PCO) and I think Cobb is the best choice.
I'd actually rather see the belt on Bandido, as Cobb will likely wind up bogged down with NJPW booking restrictions.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm super excited with his reign. True heel heat, Gresham matches and people like Bandido, Cobb and Rush in the title picture should be great.

I really wanna see Rush as champ, he has the IT factor.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

Cobb will take it from Taven.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

They’re already building a match for PCO, which is awesome.

Gotta wonder if they’ll build matches for Lethal and Scurll, too.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

TYFDK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:05 am They’re already building a match for PCO, which is awesome.

Gotta wonder if they’ll build matches for Lethal and Scurll, too.
Tavens post match comments from MSG directly addressed this. He would absolutely give Lethal a rematch but said Marty didn't even deserve to be in the ladder match. So I'd expect both to get title shots.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Would be awesome if they just give him a real short reign and put the belt on PCO for a super long reign. Make him the face of the company.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Fresh main eventer vs totally fresh singles talent in a complete character clash. Someone help me out, what the best pre-2010s ROH analogue to this title defense? It kind of reminds me of Morishima vs. (fresh from his first TNA stint) Aries?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Nigel versus Steen? Nigel was a pretty established main event guy by that point, but that's what popped into my head first. Nigel versus Tyler too.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 pm Nigel versus Steen? Nigel was a pretty established main event guy by that point, but that's what popped into my head first. Nigel versus Tyler too.
Oh, Nigel vs. Steen is kinda on the mark, but Taven vs. PCO feels more filler-y. Others I was thinking of were Aries/Gibson and Punk/Strong. I used to really be into these fresh, albeit filler, title defenses when I was a teenager. It's fun to read a defense like this that has a jumping-off-the-page effect, making you curious of the chemistry between the two and the what they would do to make sure they're over.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

do you guys see similarities between matt taven and jimmy rave? in terms of heat and all that stuff.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:19 pm do you guys see similarities between matt taven and jimmy rave? in terms of heat and all that stuff.
Not really, as Rave never got close to the cheers Taven gets and I don't remember fans complaining that Rave wasn't an ROH-caliber talent the way some of us feel about Taven (though maybe I'm misremembering that). It's possible that the getting cheered thing is more due to changes in the fanbase (and wrestling fans in general being into kitsch now), but I don't really see a comparison. Whatever heat Taven gets is NOTHING compared to what Rave used to get.