ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

Post by monster mafia »

The top stars of Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro-Wrestling converge on Madison Square Garden in New York City on April 6 for the historic G1 Supercard. Under the bright lights and on the grand stage of “The World’s Most Famous Arena,” the best of the best in pro wrestling will do battle.

Official Card:

The night will kick off with the Honor Rumble, where Jyushin Thunder Liger’s participation has been confirmed. A total of thirty wrestlers will take part in the rumble.

The first match will be a championship vs. championship match between Will Ospreay and Jeff Cobb.

The second match will be a special singles match between Dalton Castle and Rush

The 3rd match sees the WOH World Championship on the line. The defending champion, Mayu Iwatani will take on Kelly Klein to defend her title.

Match 4 will be a NYC street fight as Bully Ray issues an open challenge to take him on.

The 5th match will be for the IWGP Junior Championship as Taiji Ishimori will be defending his championship against representatives of ROH and CMLL in the form of Bandido and Dragon Lee respectively

In the 6th match, both the IWGP Tag and ROH World Tag Championships will be on the line as the IWGP Heavyweight Champions, G.O.D. take on PCO and Brody King from Villain Enterprises. The two teams will be joined by their predecessors in L.I.J.’s SANADA & EVIL as well as the Briscoe Brothers.

The 7th match will be for the British Heavyweight Championship as the reigning champion, Zack Sabre Jr. defends his title against the challenger Hiroshi Tanahashi

The 8th match will be between Tetsuya Naito and Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

The first main event will be a three way ladder match for the ROH World Championship between Jay Lethal and his challengers, Matt Taven and Marty Scurll.

The second of two main events will be a match for the IWGP Heavyweight championship. The winner of the New Japan Cup 2019, Kazuchika Okada has earned the right to challenge the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Jay White at Madison Square Garden

famicommander

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

Post by famicommander »

Anyone want to take a guess at the 30 Honor Rumble participants?

Assuming equal numbers of NJPW/ROH

NJPW:
1. Jushin Thunder Liger
2. Toru Yano
3. Minoru Suzuki
4. Bushi
5. Yuji Nagata
6. Tomohiro Ishii
7. Hirooki Goti
8. Bad Luck Fale
9. Ryuske Taguchi
10. Juice Robinson
11. Hirooki Goto
12. Togi Makabe
13. Rocky Romero
14. Shingo Takagi
15. El Desperado

ROH:
1. Silas Young
2. Shane Taylor
3. Kenny King
4. Jonathan Gresham
5. Cheeseburger
6. Ryan Nova
7. Eli Isom
8. Beer City Bruiser
9. Leon St. Giovanni
10. Shaeem Ali
11. Tracy Williams
12. Mark Haskins
13. TK O'Ryan
14. Vinny Marseglia
15. Flip Gordon

Don't know if that's how it will shake down. Perhaps one of the above will challenge Bubba, perhaps not all of the NJPW guys will even be in town.

Thought about Colt Cabana but I suspect he'll be on commentary.

Others I would really like to see:
1. Ultimo Guerrero
2. Ultimo Guerrero's mullet
3. Volador Jr
4. Tiger Mask
5. Titan
6. Sho
7. Yoh
8. Taka Michinoku
9. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
10. Taichi
11. Chase Owens
12. Satoshi Kojima
13. Tomoaki Honma
14. Lance Archer
15. Davey Boy Smith Jr
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Well RPG 3K is wrestling at RPW the day before so I'm guessing they'll be in the honor rumble. Ishii and Suzuki are both in town. I imagine one of them is answering Bully Ray's challenge and the other one wins this.

1. Jushin Liger
2. SHO
3. YOH
4. Minoru Suzuki
5. Hirooki Goto
6. Juice Robinson
7. BUSHI
8. Shingo Takagi
9. Tracy Williams
10. Cheeseburger
11. Flip Gordon
12. Mark Haskins
13. TKO Ryan
14. Vinny Marseglia
15. Silas Young
16. Cavernario
17. PJ Black
18. Kenny King
19. Rocky Romero
20. Willie Mack
21. Shane Taylor
22. Jonathan Gresham
23. Beer City Bruiser
24. Chase Owens
25. Bad Luck Fale
26. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
27. Taka Michinoku
28. Austin Aries
29. Colt Cabana
30. LA Park
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

I thought LA Dojo young lions also Rumble.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I can't see anyone but Flip answering the challenge. Bully keeps talking about how he didn't quit at Final Battle.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 am I can't see anyone but Flip answering the challenge. Bully keeps talking about how he didn't quit at Final Battle.
Well Flip just got injured again, so it won't be Flip.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:23 pm
kovs27 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 am I can't see anyone but Flip answering the challenge. Bully keeps talking about how he didn't quit at Final Battle.
Well Flip just got injured again, so it won't be Flip.
I still think it's going to be him. My money is on the injury being a work.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If it's not Flip, I'm going to say it will be Juice Robinson taking Bully's challenge. Bully was one of the people they formed Lifeblood because of.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

It's gotta be Ishii or Suzuki. Those are the two big stars that don't have matches. One of 'em has to play a huge part in the honor rumble, the other has to be in this match.

What I'm curious about is where the hell is CMLL on this card? Even Rev Pro gets a title match here. The only inclusions of CMLL talent are RUSH and Dragon Lee, and RUSH is signed to ROH now. I know Barbaro Cavernario is in town. Hope to see him in the Honor Rumble. I kind of expect the shocking debut of LA Park in the honor rumble just to throw some CMLL on the card.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mike Adamle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm It's gotta be Ishii or Suzuki. Those are the two big stars that don't have matches. One of 'em has to play a huge part in the honor rumble, the other has to be in this match.

What I'm curious about is where the hell is CMLL on this card? Even Rev Pro gets a title match here. The only inclusions of CMLL talent are RUSH and Dragon Lee, and RUSH is signed to ROH now. I know Barbaro Cavernario is in town. Hope to see him in the Honor Rumble. I kind of expect the shocking debut of LA Park in the honor rumble just to throw some CMLL on the card.
I'm surprised there's no sign of Ultimo Guerrero considering the response he usually gets when he's on a NY card for ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH has announced the first set of participants for the Honor Rumble, which takes place on the G1 Supercard pre-show. They are: Kenny King, PJ Black, The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas) and Cheeseburger.

There will be several surprises in the Rumble, including one competitor who has had numerous matches at Madison Square Garden and even defended a world title there.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so kelly and mayu are 2-2 on singles matches ( stardom -roh)....idk about tenille status with roh but a 3 way match
it would have been more interesting
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Didn't Dahswood sign a new deal right around the time she was injured?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:56 am There will be several surprises in the Rumble, including one competitor who has had numerous matches at Madison Square Garden and even defended a world title there.
Alberto El Patron returning to ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am Didn't Dahswood sign a new deal right around the time she was injured?
Tenille Dashwood could soon become a free agent as her Ring of Honor contract expires at the end of the month.

Sources close to the situation tell us Tenille is currently in negotiations with Ring of Honor to potentially ink a new contract, but nothing has been signed. That means her upcoming appearances in Las Vegas could be her last with the company.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully they can get her signed. It would be yet another huge setback in a long line of them for the women's division.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Cavernario is working CMLL on 4/5 so he probably won’t be in the Honor Rumble
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

I heard there was going to be surprises on the show, I'd love if some ROH vets like Homicide or Eddie Kingston or Austin Aries were in the rumble.

Also, Suzuki or Ishii gotta take that open challenge.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Who's supposed to be doing English commentary for this?
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:19 am Who's supposed to be doing English commentary for this?
Myself and Colt with cameos by Kevin Kelly and Caprice Coleman.