ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard Official Thread

Post by Montana »

Dave Meltzer is pretty much on the AEW payroll... Just saying.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

What sad is people actually take his opinion is fact it's kinda disgusting to see how quick people turn on roh when they try something new or there a new toy around called aew
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I know this is a little off topic and can be moved if the moderators prefer to but who in AEW other than Kenny Omega would New Japan have any interest in using in Japan at this point?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:48 pm I know this is a little off topic and can be moved if the moderators prefer to but who in AEW other than Kenny Omega would New Japan have any interest in using in Japan at this point?
PAC, Young Bucks, Page, Best Friends, Jericho, Cody, Pentagon, Fenix?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm
kovs27 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:48 pm I know this is a little off topic and can be moved if the moderators prefer to but who in AEW other than Kenny Omega would New Japan have any interest in using in Japan at this point?
PAC, Young Bucks, Page, Best Friends, Jericho, Cody, Pentagon, Fenix?
PAC wouldn't be available since he works DragonGate. Best Friends left on bad terms with Trent reneging on a handshake agreement. I have a hard time seeing Pentagon and Fenix needing AEW to go over if there was enough interest from both sides. I don't believe any of the rest of the Elite garner the same popularity in Japan as Omega. Could Jericho be brought in again to put over say Okada or Tanahashi, sure but at this point would anyone still be signing up to New Japan World because Jericho is having another 1 or 2 match feud?
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 pm Page wasnt shit in ROH and Cody's never earned anything but a WWE pink slip in his career.

Im no Taven fan but lets not act like Cody or Page are whats gonna keep that ship afloat.
Cody's after WWE wrestling career would be gone the way of people like Ryback or Damien Sandow if he never hooked up with the cool kids club.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Montana wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am Dave Meltzer is pretty much on the AEW payroll... Just saying.
His coverage is a joke. In the last few years he would always complaints about ROH and people leaving the company. Now that his friends are no longer there has more negative about ROH.

With AEW he's clearly holding back info that they don't want revealed. The same type of info he would give away with other promotions. He obviously knows who their TV deal is with and what other surprises they have planned, but he's not revealing anything.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

LJimmy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:42 pm
SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 pm Page wasnt shit in ROH and Cody's never earned anything but a WWE pink slip in his career.

Im no Taven fan but lets not act like Cody or Page are whats gonna keep that ship afloat.
Cody's after WWE wrestling career would be gone the way of people like Ryback or Damien Sandow if he never hooked up with the cool kids club.
Doubtful, as he was willing to do the initial grind and hustle, and is actually motivated to be a mover-and-shaker. Ryback has proven to be ALL talk and unwilling to do the Cody/Hero/Gallaway journey to stick it up WWE's ass.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Cody has mic skills, a good head on his shoulders, a great work ethic, the Rhodes last name, and a strong grasp on basic ring fundamentals.

Even if he didn't join Bullet Club, he was already getting booked by Impact and likely would have gotten at least a shot with any number of ROH, CMLL, AAA, Lucha Underground, NJPW, or the major indies.

Not to mention plenty of guys joined Bullet Club and DIDN'T become mega stars like Cody:
Bone Soldier (not Taiji Ishimori...)
Chase Owens
Yujiro Takahashi
Cody Hall
Bad Luck Fale
Hikuleo
Robbie Eagles

Hell, even guys who have been successful in Bullet Club like Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, and Doc Gallows didn't get anywhere near the level Cody got. Only Omega, Styles, Devitt, and arguably Cole and Karl Anderson did.

Bullet Club or no, Cody Rhodes would have been fine.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The honor rumble was current ROH summed up; technically fine enough by-the-numbers pro wrestling but nothing to stress if you miss it, most enjoyable because of the Japanese talent, and more wasted opportunity than anything else.

Going all in on building Kenny King up as your future title shot holder on the same night you put the title on Taven screams out of touch. You could argue for one, but not both.

Doing the Castle squash, WOH match, and then the rap into the hardcore is inexcusable. ROH has a tendency to make decisions that make things seem worse than they are, not better than they are.

If you’re going to do a worked shoot, work it like a shoot. Have Enzo there by himself, cause a scene off camera and get kicked out. Then let a Twitter war brew, leading to fans WANTING to see him get his ass kicked. Don’t have him and his former tag partner jump the barrier... might as well have grandma hit him with her purse then turn to the camera and say ... and this is a shoot.

I still don’t understand the Taven character.

If you had told me 17 years ago that ROH would run MSG, I would have said you’re crazy. If you told me they would and I would be apathetic, I would have said you’re beyond crazy. But, here we are.
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

Thank you Tama Tonga and Tanga loa for keeping it real on @ringofhonor https://t.co/lAZTRf4xr9
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Simply I am just sorry guys.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

rovert1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 pm Simply I am just sorry guys.
About...?
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:00 pm Cody has mic skills, a good head on his shoulders, a great work ethic, the Rhodes last name, and a strong grasp on basic ring fundamentals.

Even if he didn't join Bullet Club, he was already getting booked by Impact and likely would have gotten at least a shot with any number of ROH, CMLL, AAA, Lucha Underground, NJPW, or the major indies.

Not to mention plenty of guys joined Bullet Club and DIDN'T become mega stars like Cody:
Chase Owens
Yujiro Takahashi
Cody Hall
Bad Luck Fale
Hikuleo
Robbie Eagles

Hell, even guys who have been successful in Bullet Club like Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, and Doc Gallows didn't get anywhere near the level Cody got. Only Omega, Styles, Devitt, and arguably Cole and Karl Anderson did.

I totally disagree with this. Before Cody put on that Bullet Club t-shirt, people were crapping all over him. Then he joins Bullet Club and all of a sudden everyone loves him. If he was having the quality of matches he was having in ROH- and especially as ROH World Champion- without that Bullet Club shirt on, he would have been universally shat on. People were crapping on his NJPW work for the majority of his run as well, and he certainly wans't lighting the world on fire in TNA either. He was just another ex-WWE midcarder they brought in and were getting midcard-level work out of despite putting him in a main event spot. if Cody doesn't get to leech off of the popularity of the BTE Crew- not "Bullet Club" as a whole but the Bucks, Kenny, and Scurll, no one would care about him.

Also, the list of guys you named as guys who joined Bullet Club but didn't get over is ridiculous because Aside from Fale and (briefly) Tama Tonga, none of them were ever pushed in any real way, while Cody did at least get something of a mid-level push in New Japan and a superstar push in ROH. Also some of the guys you list have spent a basically negligible amount of time with the group. I would also argue that most of the guys on the list were more over once they joined Bullet Club than before they joined the group.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

As much as the ROH exclusive matches laid an egg, ROH/SBG did have the greatest contribution to this show in securing the building.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:00 pm Cody has mic skills, a good head on his shoulders, a great work ethic, the Rhodes last name, and a strong grasp on basic ring fundamentals.

Chase Owens
Yujiro Takahashi
Cody Hall
Bad Luck Fale
Hikuleo
Robbie Eagles

I totally disagree with this. Before Cody put on that Bullet Club t-shirt, people were crapping all over him. Then he joins Bullet Club and all of a sudden everyone loves him. If he was having the quality of matches he was having in ROH- and especially as ROH World Champion- without that Bullet Club shirt on, he would have been universally shat on. People were crapping on his NJPW work for the majority of his run as well, and he certainly wans't lighting the world on fire in TNA either. He was just another ex-WWE midcarder they brought in and were getting midcard-level work out of despite putting him in a main event spot. if Cody doesn't get to leech off of the popularity of the BTE Crew- not "Bullet Club" as a whole but the Bucks, Kenny, and Scurll, no one would care about him.

Also, the list of guys you named as guys who joined Bullet Club but didn't get over is ridiculous because Aside from Fale and (briefly) Tama Tonga, none of them were ever pushed in any real way, while Cody did at least get something of a mid-level push in New Japan and a superstar push in ROH. Also some of the guys you list have spent a basically negligible amount of time with the group. I would also argue that most of the guys on the list were more over once they joined Bullet Club than before they joined the group.
This.

People don't remember the negativity that Cody had before his Final Battle and Wrestle Kingdom debuts. The internet actually loved Juice Robinson more than Cody after their match.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I still agree about the mic skills, great mind, great work ethic, etc. I'm inclined to think that he would have figured out a different way to get over.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 am I still agree about the mic skills, great mind, great work ethic, etc. I'm inclined to think that he would have figured out a different way to get over.
He's got a mind that's built for marketing, but his vision of pro wrestling seems to be this over the top 1980s goofball stuff based entirely around cheap heat and overbooking. He seems to want to be a cartoon rather than a real person.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 am
maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 am I still agree about the mic skills, great mind, great work ethic, etc. I'm inclined to think that he would have figured out a different way to get over.
He's got a mind that's built for marketing, but his vision of pro wrestling seems to be this over the top 1980s goofball stuff based entirely around cheap heat and overbooking. He seems to want to be a cartoon rather than a real person.
We are probably splitting hairs. Without BC, I don't think he'd figure out a way to be as over as he is with them. But my point is that with his charisma, name recognition & mic skills that his "worst case scenario" was probably Impact main eventer.
Last edited by maxx_powerz on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I used to argue about how Cody got over due to his associations than honest wrestling skills, but Being The Elite got people over to such a degree that it's impossible to tease anything apart here. Imagining where someone might be without BTE is like imagining another world for that person.

More on his skills, he has done a great job of pitching a version of the WWE that doesn't fall on its face as often as it can and making fans believe in a viable non-WWE version of ""sports entertainment"" wrestling.