Why ROH?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
EvanKnight

Why ROH?

Post by EvanKnight »

Given the option of only being able to watch either ROH or NXT, whould you choose ROH, if so why?
famicommander

Re: Why ROH?

Post by famicommander »

To me, for NXT, only the Takeover specials are worth my time. ROH puts out way more content that is worth watching in my opinion.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Lethal and The Briscoes are the only reasons I still watch.
Montana

Post by Montana »

This is a ROH board, so may be a bit biased, but i'd say ROH as well. The takeover PPVs are good, but I've noticed they have the same format every show, and every match is very similar over the top action with a million kick outs. The top NXT's stars are mainly EX-ROH guys as well, and they have a lot of green/ ehh wrestlers as well. The pinnacle of NXT, is a jump to raw, with all character/build up going out the window.

ROH has better progression. You could say the same that ROH wrestlers just jump to WWE/NXT, but there is more of a story in their build up to the championship (usually). The wrestlers can more creativity in their matches and promos. ROH actually has quite a bit of history now too, so a lot of legacy with the World/Tag belts. (17 years) Their big/title matches, feel like a big deal. IE: Taven vs. Lethal at the anniversary show, or the top matches at the Garden.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Ciampa/Gargano trumps everything in wrestling for me right now. All of their matches have been outstanding. The storyline has had equal ebbs and flows. Old school heel/face feud. It's everything I love about wrestling.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

This may not be the directive this question meant to go in but I started following ROH due to my dissatisfaction with anything WWE. I'm to the point that I won't support anything WWE which includes NXT. I know ROH isn't owned by people I particularly care for either but I don't have many years of being disappointed with ROH like I do with WWE. Deep down I still think NXT's only purpose is to destroy the indy's and stockpile talent so no other company can grow too big.

A more relevant take is I always have a blast when going to ROH live events. Best in the World in Baltimore was one of the most fun times I've ever had at a wrestling show. The last time I went to Raw I was treated to a main event of Big Show and John Cena. Two people I've had zero interest in since 2006.

Like I said earlier this may have been a more personal answer than the question was looking for but that why I support ROH amongst several other companies who aren't WWE.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'd have to pick NXT. The storylines are better and the big shows are better. Both have a one-hour TV show, but NXT's never feels like it's wasting my time.

If you're disappointed with everything WWE, I would advise you to give 205 Live a try. It's great wrestling with solid logic storylines behind it and none of the usual WWE goofball bullsh*t.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I don't like NXT or Anything wwe produces. I stick with ROH, AAW, MLW, or old school Mid South replays. The reason being is because ROH has jay lethal.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm This is a ROH board, so may be a bit biased, but i'd say ROH as well. The takeover PPVs are good, but I've noticed they have the same format every show, and every match is very similar over the top action with a million kick outs. The top NXT's stars are mainly EX-ROH guys as well, and they have a lot of green/ ehh wrestlers as well. The pinnacle of NXT, is a jump to raw, with all character/build up going out the window.

ROH has better progression. You could say the same that ROH wrestlers just jump to WWE/NXT, but there is more of a story in their build up to the championship (usually). The wrestlers can more creativity in their matches and promos. ROH actually has quite a bit of history now too, so a lot of legacy with the World/Tag belts. (17 years) Their big/title matches, feel like a big deal. IE: Taven vs. Lethal at the anniversary show, or the top matches at the Garden.
I would fully expect the bias, my question really was what are the strengths of the “ROH Brand”, if you will. ROH is clearly entering another era, and I’m not sure they know what the crux of this new era is. More nuanced, progressional story telling without the willful amnesia, and actual variety are to strong separators from the WWE.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm Ciampa/Gargano trumps everything in wrestling for me right now. All of their matches have been outstanding. The storyline has had equal ebbs and flows. Old school heel/face feud. It's everything I love about wrestling.
Ciampa almost feels like a negative turning point for ROH. You could argue that many of the old guard had some of the best matches of their career, or at least had many compilation DVD worthy matches, in ROH. Ciampa, Cedric, Lilo Rush, etc... not so much.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

EvanKnight wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm

I would fully expect the bias, my question really was what are the strengths of the “ROH Brand”, if you will. ROH is clearly entering another era, and I’m not sure they know what the crux of this new era is. More nuanced, progressional story telling without the willful amnesia, and actual variety are to strong separators from the WWE.
I disagree that "more nuanced, progressional story telling without the willful amnesia, and actual variety" are going on right now- especially in comparison to what has happened in the past. These are no longer things that feel like tney define the ROH brand the way they did for the first thirteen years of the company's existence.