Matches that should've been the main event

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
roacheyyy

Matches that should've been the main event

Post by roacheyyy »

These are just a select few matches that I feel should've gone on last but didn't. Would love to hear other matches people think should've been the main event too

MCMG vs The Briscoes - Good Times, Great Memories
CM Punk vs Samoa Joe - World Title Classic
Kevin Steen vs Nigel McGuinness - Northern Navigation
Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness - Weekend Of Champions Night 2
Austin Aries vs Bryan Danielson - Nowhere To Run
Austin Aries/Roderick Strong vs Christopher Daniels/Matt Sydal - Fifth Year Festival: New York
Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong vs Tyler Black - The Big Bang!
AJ Styles vs CM Punk - At Our Best
Bryan Danielson vs CM Punk - Reborn: Stage One
El Generico vs Kevin Steen - Showdown In The Sun Night 1
Big Red Machine

Re: Matches that should've been the main event

Post by Big Red Machine »

roacheyyy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am

Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong vs Tyler Black - The Big Bang!
This was the main event of the PPV and I believe was supposed to be the main event of the show as well but the guys who wound up gpoing on last were late to the show.
roacheyyy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am MCMG vs The Briscoes - Good Times, Great Memories
This was Cabana's goodbye, so his farewell match was the appropriate main event. Such has been the protocol in ROH going back to Eddie Guerrero, and the goodbyes for Punk, AJ, KENTA and Joe all establishing a precedent of putting a big goodbye over a title match for the main event spot.
roacheyyy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am CM Punk vs Samoa Joe - World Title Classic
Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness - Weekend Of Champions Night 2
This is easy to say in hindsight, but both of these finishes were considerable risks by Gabe because he couldn't be sure how the crowd would react to such a finish, and thus it makes sense to not make them the main event and risk the fans going home angry at the finish of the main event.
roacheyyy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am AJ Styles vs CM Punk - At Our Best
Austin Aries vs Bryan Danielson - Nowhere To Run
Not sure if you've considered this, but both of the main events on these shows involved cages, which meant that the cage matches couldn't go on in the middle of the show because you'd then have to spend time not just putting them up but also taking them down while fans sat around and did nothing.
Also, I'd definitely argue that the Punk vs. Rave cage match at Nowhere To Run should have been the main event over Aries vs. Bryan because it was a blow-off months cage match months in the making, and I'm fine with that main eventing over a title match.

As for matches that weren't the main event but should have been, Dragon vs. Roddy from Vendetta is the first one that leaps into my mind. Also Steen vs. Daniels from Civil Warfare.