Hello!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
IanRiccaboni

Re: Hello!

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:47 pm Hi, Ian.

I like your work. You have a genuine passion for calling matches.

Watch out for Wilson the Mod. He takes his role here very seriously.

What was your favorite ROH match you called this past year?
Hello!

This may surprise quite a few people but Shane Taylor vs. Jeff Cobb jumps off the page first but I also loved Lethal vs. Castle and Scurll vs. Martinez.

There are a bunch of great matches that I feel went under the radar like Page vs. Ibushi, Haskins vs. Page, Haskins vs. Lethal, and Lethal/Gresham vs. Bucks.

But by far my favorite was seeing Gresham get the tap out on Lethal for the first fall of the IronMan match.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

If you could what has happened with creative lately.the shows seem more focused I wonder if Kevin eck is helping in creative lol
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 pm If you could what has happened with creative lately.the shows seem more focused I wonder if Kevin eck is helping in creative lol
Is that you, Kev?! Lots of posts about creative! If it is, thanks for responding to my email earlier!

Might have to draw a line, here, at these types of questions. The Colonel never shared the recipe. The Doctor doesn't tell you which 23 flavors are in his brew.

Btw: if anyone needed verification this was me - https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status ... 03360?s=19
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Just saying whatever is happened I love the shows lately
BearcatMike

Post by BearcatMike »

Keep up the good work, Ian. I'm looking forward to seeing you at MSG, but ROH needs to come back to Cincinnati!
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Hi Ian. Thanks for posting here and engaging with the fans! I enjoy how much excitement you have for the product. I'll just echo what some others have stated -- as much as I enjoy Caprice on the announcing side of things (and miss his "Pulpit"), I really hope we get to see him back in the ring in 2019.

Any chance we see Alex Shelley back anytime (in any capacity), or is he fully retired at this point?
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Zhuge1 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm Hi Ian. Thanks for posting here and engaging with the fans! I enjoy how much excitement you have for the product. I'll just echo what some others have stated -- as much as I enjoy Caprice on the announcing side of things (and miss his "Pulpit"), I really hope we get to see him back in the ring in 2019.

Any chance we see Alex Shelley back anytime (in any capacity), or is he fully retired at this point?
Never say never with Alex. He emphasized that the door is open once he heals up and finishes school in his speech in Atlanta. I can't speak for him or ROH but I just hope he goes out the way he wants to.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Exciting to read from you, Ian! Teal glasses look awesome, btw.

Just please tell PCO that we're all very worried about him.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Can you tell Kevin Kelly he pronounces Ishii and Iizuka incorrectly? Took four years of Japanese and it drives me nuts.

Tomohiro Ishii's last name is pronounced "e-she-e" (e as in the pronunciation of the letter itself)
Takashi Iizuka's last name is pronounced "e-zoo-ka"

Kelly says e-she and izka
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm Can you tell Kevin Kelly he pronounces Ishii and Iizuka incorrectly? Took four years of Japanese and it drives me nuts.

Tomohiro Ishii's last name is pronounced "e-she-e" (e as in the pronunciation of the letter itself)

Woah! I've been saying Ishii's name correctly.

We don't talk as much as we used to but I know he used to peak in here from time to time, too. Maybe he'll see it!

Side note: one of the more anxiety-filled things in the world is calling matches for talent that are debuting, particularly with names not from your native language. Biggest example is Kagetsu - I tried to mimic the way Sumie taught me how to say it, for lack of a better description "smoothing" over the U but I couldn't quite nail it the first time around. And Kamaitachi was a tricky one, too but I had more luck with that one.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 pm Exciting to read from you, Ian! Teal glasses look awesome, btw.

Just please tell PCO that we're all very worried about him.
Thank you! I buy them now from Zenni. Cheap, decent quality with good lenses.

I'll pass your thoughts along to PCO!
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 am
famicommander wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm Can you tell Kevin Kelly he pronounces Ishii and Iizuka incorrectly? Took four years of Japanese and it drives me nuts.

Woah! I've been saying Ishii's name correctly.

We don't talk as much as we used to but I know he used to peak in here from time to time, too. Maybe he'll see it!

Side note: one of the more anxiety-filled things in the world is calling matches for talent that are debuting, particularly with names not from your native language. Biggest example is Kagetsu - I tried to mimic the way Sumie taught me how to say it, for lack of a better description "smoothing" over the U but I couldn't quite nail it the first time around. And Kamaitachi was a tricky one, too but I had more luck with that one.
Yeah, for the most part Japanese pronunciation is pretty rigid and predictable but it can sometimes be tricky to know when to and when not to pronounce a U sound in the character "su".

For example,
Su-zoo-ki is correct

but most of the time the U is deemphasized in "Shinsuke" so it sounds like "Shins-kay". If you were in a spelling bee it would be shi-n-su-ke but you'd get funny looks calling him shin-su-ke in casual conversation.

Another common one that gives people trouble is Minoru Suzuki's first name. It's "me (as in the word)-no-roo (as in kangaroo)"

The letter "i" is always a long "e" sound.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Hey Ian,

Any chance of ROH changing the name of the World Six Man Tag Team Championship to World Trios Championship? It sounds so much better.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:46 pm Hey Ian,

Any chance of ROH changing the name of the World Six Man Tag Team Championship to World Trios Championship? It sounds so much better.
And, for those of us who write about ROH, it's shorter!
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Can you talk to someone about the TV listings on the website?

I live in Colorado and ROH is on both Charge and Stadium here, but when I type my zip code into the website there are no records found.

I was just talking to a guy I know in North Carolina who told me ROH doesn't air there, either. I looked up the Stadium and Charge station affiliates on wikipedia and it turns out there are six separate stations in North Carolina, 3 Charge and 3 Stadium, airing ROH. He had no idea, and there's no way he can find that out on rohwrestling.com.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 am Can you talk to someone about the TV listings on the website?

I live in Colorado and ROH is on both Charge and Stadium here, but when I type my zip code into the website there are no records found.

I was just talking to a guy I know in North Carolina who told me ROH doesn't air there, either. I looked up the Stadium and Charge station affiliates on wikipedia and it turns out there are six separate stations in North Carolina, 3 Charge and 3 Stadium, airing ROH. He had no idea, and there's no way he can find that out on rohwrestling.com.
Hello! Thank you for the feedback. Noted and passed along.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Do you watch any of the NXT product? If so, thoughts?