Honor Reigns Supreme 2019 Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Honor Reigns Supreme 2019 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm Gonzo Bomb* is Brody King's finishing move not to be confused with the Ganso Bomb.
Ah. My error, then.
I shall blame the nutjobs at Wikipedia for removing the names of the wrestlers' moves form the bottom of their articles.
Big Red Machine

IanRiccaboni wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm Ricky Bones with the FATALITY

Just kidding BRM, I actually agree with the majority of what you said.
Ha! I will never argue opinion or creative, even ideas that I had a part in, which are few and far between. However, I will advise and try to educate when I can. Brody has used this move for a bit. It is Gonzo like but not necessarily the Muppet.
I truly appreciate any enlightenment you can give. It really means a lot that you take time out of your day to interact with fan communities like ours.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm
IanRiccaboni wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm Gonzo Bomb* is Brody King's finishing move not to be confused with the Ganso Bomb.
Ah. My error, then.
I shall blame the nutjobs at Wikipedia for removing the names of the wrestlers' moves form the bottom of their articles.
I will admit - this really stunk. I used to use Wiki as a jumping off for our War of the Wars and Global Wars tours for some of the New Japan talent I had not yet called.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Ah. My error, then.
I will admit - this really stunk. I used to use Wiki as a jumping off for our War of the Wars and Global Wars tours for some of the New Japan talent I had not yet called.
Do you ever speak to Chris Charlton, (@reasonjap), Ian. He's a foutain of knowledge on New Japan both historically and current New Japan, he always seems pretty approachable on twitter and would a great base to work from I imagine.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Just for the sake of if, if ROH could get Charlton in that'd be 4/10 on the Bret Hart scale.

Dude makes it feel like you're watching a sport; albeit, I personally consider pro-wrestling a sport, just coreographed.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Charlton's voice is the stuff of nightmares. He should never be on a live mic.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Charlton is super nice, he knows a lot of things and he writes very well, but on the mic he's pretty awful. It's a shame, because he is such a nice guy with a lot of passion, but he hasn't got the right voice to do commentary.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Charlton is probably already one of my favorite commentators ever. The fact that he has picked it up so quick on a scale that large while also doing interpreting duties is unreal. And, no shame to any current commentators who may be reading this, it's not like ROH hasn't had a history of nerdy guys calling the action.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's not his knowledge or personality that is a problem. He clearly has a lot to contribute to the business. It's just the sound of his voice. You know how they say ugly people have a face for radio? Charlton has a voice for silent films.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 pm It's not his knowledge or personality that is a problem. He clearly has a lot to contribute to the business. It's just the sound of his voice. You know how they say ugly people have a face for radio? Charlton has a voice for silent films.
I won't lie, I have had and still have commentators that I've had qualms about mostly due to either their voice or delivery, but I'm shocked to hear this regarding Charlton. I think he sounds normal, if a bit nerdy, and performs a specific commentary role so excellently. Though I guess it must be common sentiment since it's been repeated by a few people here already. Shame it's a barrier to some people because I am continually impressed by his knack for it.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 pm It's not his knowledge or personality that is a problem. He clearly has a lot to contribute to the business. It's just the sound of his voice. You know how they say ugly people have a face for radio? Charlton has a voice for silent films.
wow
Big Red Machine

Having never heard of Mr. Charlton, can someone please inform me which promotions he works for so that I can listen to him and make up my own mind?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm Having never heard of Mr. Charlton, can someone please inform me which promotions he works for so that I can listen to him and make up my own mind?
He's been doing commentary for New Japan since the summer. He authored two books on New Japan history, that combined with his Twitter presence and his familiarity with podcasting got him to announce some shows for the G1 during the slow weeks of the tournament. He was basically plugged in to do the interpreting during promos and add some tidbits, but he's stuck along, calling Wrestle Kingdom and even leading this recent tour of house shows. I think his commentary is featured on the AXS NJPW shows from the last few weeks?And I think the 1/5 show is free if you log onto NJPW World. (I'm giving you all this context because I think you'd like him and I need the validation.)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Charlton and Lanny Poffo together was one of the worst commentary duos I have ever heard. I'd take Josh Mathews and anybody over those two, and I'd take an inanimate object over Mathews.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm Having never heard of Mr. Charlton, can someone please inform me which promotions he works for so that I can listen to him and make up my own mind?
He's been doing commentary for New Japan since the summer. He authored two books on New Japan history, that combined with his Twitter presence and his familiarity with podcasting got him to announce some shows for the G1 during the slow weeks of the tournament. He was basically plugged in to do the interpreting during promos and add some tidbits, but he's stuck along, calling Wrestle Kingdom and even leading this recent tour of house shows. I think his commentary is featured on the AXS NJPW shows from the last few weeks?And I think the 1/5 show is free if you log onto NJPW World. (I'm giving you all this context because I think you'd like him and I need the validation.)
Oh? That guy! I have no problem with his voice.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

ROH 01/12/2020 Honor Reigns Supreme 2020 Results

Rey Horus def Andrew Everett

Joe Hendry & Dalton Castle def The Briscoes and PJ Black & Brian Johnson

Sumie Sakai def Nicole Savoy

Dak Draper def Danhausen

Alex Zayne def Bandido

LifeBlood (Tracy Williams &Mark Haskins) def Vincent & Bateman (with Vita VonStarr & Chuckles) via DQ

Jeff Cobb, Dan Maff, Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham def The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser & Brawler Milonas) & Two Guys, 1 Tag (Silas Young & Josh Woods)

Flip Gordon def Flamita
- post match Gordon rips Flamita’s mask off.

La Faccion Ingobernable (RUSH, Dragon Lee & Kenny King) (with Amy Rose) def Villain Enterprises (PCO, Brody King & Marty Scurll)
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Zayne over Bandido? Shocked!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:02 pm Zayne over Bandido? Shocked!
Guess they have some plans for him.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i wasnt able to catch this show How was it?
Montana

Post by Montana »

It was pretty good show. Not on the same level as Saturday, but still a fun/exciting show.

Rey Horus vs.Andrew Everett 3.5
Joe Hendry & Dalton Castle vs. The Briscoes vs. PJ Black & Brian Johnson 3.0
Sumie Sakai vs Nicole Savoy - TBD
Dak Draper def Danhausen 3.0
Alex Zayne def Bandido - 3.5 -3.75 (Little sloppy, Very spotty, crowd was kinda quiet to start, good finish with some awesome moves)

LifeBlood (Tracy Williams &Mark Haskins) vs. Vincent & Bateman (with Vita VonStarr & Chuckles) 2.5
Jeff Cobb, Dan Maff, Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham vs. The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser & Brawler Milonas) & Two Guys, 1 Tag (Silas Young & Josh Woods) 3.5
Flip Gordon vs. Flamita 3.5
La Faccion Ingobernable (RUSH, Dragon Lee & Kenny King) (with Amy Rose) vs. Villain Enterprises (PCO, Brody King & Marty Scurll) 3.75-4.0

Overall i'd give a 7.0-7.5 /10. About 4 good to very good matches, and everything else was pretty good, but nothing to go out of your way for.

Zayne's match was certainly the most interesting of the night. He slipped a little bit and there, which imo took down the grade a bit. That being said, him and bandido pulled off some really good moves. Not sure if it was nervous, or just getting his footing. Have to imagine we'll get more Zayne, and likely a rematch between him and Bandido.

Other thoughts.... Shane Taylor saying he's going to VIP wrestling to wrestle Nick Gage was odd. I assume he will be per appearance until they work something out.

Vincent fits so much better with Ring of Horror and his own faction than with the kingdom. Not that i want them to be a focal point of ROH, but they used be a lower card act.

Tag Division is getting stacked. Liking Woods/Young and Maff/Cobb quite a bit. I assume Cobb/Maff is kind of short term, but either way they are fun to match.

Also, really liking Josh Woods recently.