Who are the (indie) white whales left for ROH?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Who are the (indie) white whales left for ROH?

Post by Wilson »

In the past two years, we've seen Zack Sabre Jr. and Chuck Taylor compete in ROH, both being speculated upon for years by fans. Who left that could possibly be booked in the company is still their white whale?

Shortlist: Rey Mysterio, Brian Cage, TAKA Michinoku, AR Fox
kovs27

Re: Who are the (indie) white whales left for ROH?

Post by kovs27 »

TAKA is finally open to taking bookings outside Japan.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Not exactly what you mean, but I feel like any time Jericho was on hiatus from WWE his name would get floated around as a dream get, and I guess he could possibly be booked. I assume the Sea of Honor six man doesn't really count.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Willie Mack
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Lucha Brothers. Pentagon and Fenix are incredible and the world needs a Briscoe Brothers vs Lucha Brothers extended feud.

I thought Rey Mysterio was going back to WWE?

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember Mack wrestling in ROH at one point. He wasn't a regular but I want to say sometime in 2015-2016.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

He wrestled here this past September...
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That too, but that was more of an NWA thing I thought.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I don't think there are any left who are active.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

maxx_powerz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:51 am Not exactly what you mean, but I feel like any time Jericho was on hiatus from WWE his name would get floated around as a dream get, and I guess he could possibly be booked. I assume the Sea of Honor six man doesn't really count.
You know, this kind of fits. People were dying for Jericho to work anywhere during his 2005-2007 hiatus.
famicommander wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:53 pm The Lucha Brothers. Pentagon and Fenix are incredible and the world needs a Briscoe Brothers vs Lucha Brothers extended feud.

I thought Rey Mysterio was going back to WWE?

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember Mack wrestling in ROH at one point. He wasn't a regular but I want to say sometime in 2015-2016.
Lucha Brothers are maybe too recent for what I'm thinking. White whales as in people asking for them since before new directors and staff and even owners came in. I don't know what Rey's current status is with the WWE, but if it is short-term then he's definitely one. I vaguely remembered Mack wrestling in ROH--and thought he just wrestled here like TYFDK pointed out--but I went to cagematch and just scanned through improperly. My bad.
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 pm I don't think there are any left who are active.
This might be the nail in this then. Well, goddamn if Ring of Honor didn't do the damn thing.

One more name I might mention is Bad Bones--whatever the hell led to his suspension might make this a thing. And maybe Mistico/Sin Cara/Caristico?
Montana

Post by Montana »

I hate to suggest "stealing' talent, but JD Drake and Anthony Henry would be awesome in ROH now. These guys could do everything from opener to main event, tag or singles, heel or face. They'd be my #1 target now for US talent. They are kind of the cornerstone of Evolve now, but with the company using NXT talent, they are kinda in a odd spot.

Lucha Bros, Flamita, Dragon Lee, Rush would all be good adds. Pretty much anyone in NJPW.

Sabre/Haskins/Bandido were pretty much at the top of the list too, but looks like ROH is being agressive and have signed most of them.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Shane Strickland
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Cobb can be included in the ZSJ and Dustin post.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Montana wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:33 pm I hate to suggest "stealing' talent, but JD Drake and Anthony Henry would be awesome in ROH now. These guys could do everything from opener to main event, tag or singles, heel or face. They'd be my #1 target now for US talent. They are kind of the cornerstone of Evolve now, but with the company using NXT talent, they are kinda in a odd spot.

Lucha Bros, Flamita, Dragon Lee, Rush would all be good adds. Pretty much anyone in NJPW.

Sabre/Haskins/Bandido were pretty much at the top of the list too, but looks like ROH is being agressive and have signed most of them.
Agreed on Drake
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

"White whale" is obviously a subjective term, but I'm referring to wrestlers who would've made their name known before say 2015, at the earliest, and have since been speculated if they would ever work in the company. And it's not about which agents could be conscripted, it's just about making an appearance in an ROH ring.

Thatcher might sort of be one. I remember murmurs of him in like 2013/2014.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

John/Johnny Hennigan/Morrison/Nitro/Mundo/Impact
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Rich Swann?
Big Red Machine

Perhaps Sami Callihan to an extent, but he has had shots with ROH in the past and just plain not been impressive (not including the other stuff, of course, but if we're going on wrestling stuff alone, he might be one).
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 am Perhaps Sami Callihan to an extent, but he has had shots with ROH in the past and just plain not been impressive (not including the other stuff, of course, but if we're going on wrestling stuff alone, he might be one).
I'd take him now. He's solid now. Back then he was still green and trying to find himself in the business, I don't care about a wrestler's life outside the business, I care what he does that I see and Callihan has become one of the best on the independents since he came back from his NXT stint.
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:29 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 am Perhaps Sami Callihan to an extent, but he has had shots with ROH in the past and just plain not been impressive (not including the other stuff, of course, but if we're going on wrestling stuff alone, he might be one).
I'd take him now. He's solid now. Back then he was still green and trying to find himself in the business, I don't care about a wrestler's life outside the business, I care what he does that I see and Callihan has become one of the best on the independents since he came back from his NXT stint.
Aside from his promos, I have found Sami (and the Crists) to be terribly overrated in the ring.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Sami works better with Death Machines in MLW . I guess the Crist brothers are his boys and he got the the Impact gig. Sami would be fine in ROH , just no Jake and Dave.