ROH Fires GFL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Hegemony

Re: ROH Fires GFL

Post by Hegemony »

Tree wrote:
ninetwentyfour wrote:, I assume it was unfamiliarity with the building and newer technology unproven...They really should have used their heads before making this switch, but it isn't surprising because they do a lot of stupid shit.
1. A major component of GFL's job is to be familiar with the building, and to ensure that "new technology" works.

2. go ahead. what other "stupid shit" are you referring to? spill it.
Perhaps he is "not at liberty to discuss"
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Hegemony wrote:
Tree wrote:
ninetwentyfour wrote:, I assume it was unfamiliarity with the building and newer technology unproven...They really should have used their heads before making this switch, but it isn't surprising because they do a lot of stupid shit.
1. A major component of GFL's job is to be familiar with the building, and to ensure that "new technology" works.

2. go ahead. what other "stupid shit" are you referring to? spill it.
Perhaps he is "not at liberty to discuss"
1. I'm not defending GFL's lack of competence or finding excuses for them.

2. - I thought it was fairly obvious ROH did stupid things. Maybe not. Running television markets such as Collinsville, Spartanburg, Greensboro, Norfolk and Cincinnati, and failing miserably. All while avoiding markets that are proven successes, all because they think they are a "TV product" or something. I don't blame them for having that thought process, but it's bad business, thus stupid.

- Their booking.

- Jim Cornette putting x amount of Sinclair's money, a large sum, into music rights, while certain guys on the roster aren't getting new visas.

I could go on...
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Seems like ROH are blaming everyone but themselves, the issues are clearly in house with poor production, audio etc. GFL did a decent job and they cannot be blamed, I hated Joe Koffs recent statement as it was again ROH avoiding the issue.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Maybe the reason because ROH are blaming GFL is because is GFL fault and not ROH?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

187_Joeism wrote:Maybe the reason because ROH are blaming GFL is because is GFL fault and not ROH?
Only the quality of stream was the fault of GFL and that in my experience was only an issue for SITS. ROH is responsible for production and that's on them. Changing hosts won't change that.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

classic-cabana wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:Maybe the reason because ROH are blaming GFL is because is GFL fault and not ROH?
Only the quality of stream was the fault of GFL and that in my experience was only an issue for SITS. ROH is responsible for production and that's on them. Changing hosts won't change that.
I agree, and I could have lived with ROH going forward with GFL if they chose to.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
astoph

Post by astoph »

HarpoonIPA wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:
I agree, and I could have lived with ROH going forward with GFL if they chose to.
Same here. Plus whoever they decide to use will need a ROKU channel for me to order as I can barely sit through the tv show on my computer (but thats my own preference of course).
Jimthy

Post by Jimthy »

So, for everyone that has been saying it's stupid for ROH to do this a month out, do you know that ROH hasn't been already looking into and working on a different option? Do you know that the GoFightLive relationship was all hunky dory before Showdown in the Sun? You don't. So...let's not do the age old ROH board thing and panic and say that ROH is stupid for what they are doing here. It's very possible they've been working on a way to do this in house for a while, and were waiting to roll it out until they had it working right. We just don't know.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Jimthy wrote:So, for everyone that has been saying it's stupid for ROH to do this a month out, do you know that ROH hasn't been already looking into and working on a different option? Do you know that the GoFightLive relationship was all hunky dory before Showdown in the Sun? You don't. So...let's not do the age old ROH board thing and panic and say that ROH is stupid for what they are doing here. It's very possible they've been working on a way to do this in house for a while, and were waiting to roll it out until they had it working right. We just don't know.
Yea that's what we were saying to Twitter to someone who was asking about it.

It would make sense for ROH to try and stream it on their own site, they'd make more profit off each show as there'd be no middle man to pay. I'm guessing GFL got quite a decent % of the revenue. Hopefully it's something they've been working on for awhile.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

I just hope whatever ROH has planned works... I REALLY want to see this show and I'll be so disappointed if another show gets ruined live by internet problems.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

classic-cabana wrote:
The production issues were not a big deal, especially when they didn't occur before and after the matches. For the SITS iPPV there was less issues with the production.

The big problem was the stream on day 1, it ruined the live experience because I was forced to stop watching and catch it on the replay.

But in the end, a decision was taken by ROH and we don't know all the details of the GFL/ROH partnership. Well see what happens.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

ROH doesn't know the difference between 4:3 and 16:9. They can't do this in-house.
Last Real Man Hype
Tree

Post by Tree »

classic-cabana wrote:Seems like ROH are blaming everyone but themselves, the issues are clearly in house with poor production, audio etc. GFL did a decent job and they cannot be blamed, I hated Joe Koffs recent statement as it was again ROH avoiding the issue.
oh, for god's sake. at one point, the head of GFL tripped over the damned feed cable, unplugging it.

to me, that's unforgiveable.
Tree

Post by Tree »

ninetwentyfour wrote:1. A major component of GFL's job is to be familiar with the building, and to ensure that "new technology" works.

1. I'm not defending GFL's lack of competence or finding excuses for them.

2. - I thought it was fairly obvious ROH did stupid things. Maybe not. Running television markets such as Collinsville, Spartanburg, Greensboro, Norfolk and Cincinnati, and failing miserably. All while avoiding markets that are proven successes, all because they think they are a "TV product" or something. I don't blame them for having that thought process, but it's bad business, thus stupid.

- Their booking.

- Jim Cornette putting x amount of Sinclair's money, a large sum, into music rights, while certain guys on the roster aren't getting new visas.

I could go on...

but none of that stupid shit really has anything to do with television production, save for maybe the music rights/visa thing, but then again, wrestlers are independent contractors and adults, so shouldn't they be getting their own visas???

you wanna discuss something stupid that ROH did, then make it relevant to the conversation. discuss Dave Lagana no longer working for ROH. his departure, imho, is the primary reason for all these problems, but it doesn't change the relative ineptness that GFL has displayed.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Tree wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:Seems like ROH are blaming everyone but themselves, the issues are clearly in house with poor production, audio etc. GFL did a decent job and they cannot be blamed, I hated Joe Koffs recent statement as it was again ROH avoiding the issue.
oh, for god's sake. at one point, the head of GFL tripped over the damned feed cable, unplugging it.

:lol: Seriously?

That reminds me. I have a funny story I could tell about Mr.Klarman (GFL CEO). I'll post it if I can find the emails
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Na na na.. Na na na.. Hey hey hey... Goodbye...
MOOSE!
The Final Countdown

Post by The Final Countdown »

Tree wrote:

Oh my god, seriously?
che08

Post by che08 »

I read,that GFL took 50% of profit/And maybe it much more better to establish own service,than pay money for non-priffessional services of GFL.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

I've found the email I was talking about earlier. :)

We once gave away a free viewing of Death Before Dishonor IX on GFL. We'd paid for the event on a account and gave the winner temporary access to that account to watch the show live. Myself and Steven also purchased the event seperately. However we received this email from the CEO of GFL a few days before the show:
Illegal Streams.
"Steve, I have been advised that you are looking to provide an illegal stream for tomorrow show. I have proof that you are actively looking or planning on providing a stream. As you know we can shut down illegal streams from our data center. Anyone providing an illegal stream will be banned from GFL and ROH forever. dk"
Obviously we weren't doing anything illegal and didn't want to be "banned from ROH forever", whatever that means, so we replied explaining the situation. We asked to see his "proof" that we were providing illegal streams but he never replied :roll:

We do have a theory it was Lagana who "advised" him of our "illegal stream" but that's a long story!
cviens

Post by cviens »

So basically the guys at GFL are not only massive fucking idiots, but they're ignorant pricks too? Excellent! And fuck Dave Lagana, he's a bitter jackass.