ROH Fires GFL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
EcwHardCore07

ROH Fires GFL

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

Via Twitter from @ROH_World
It has been confirmed that the May 12th 'Border Wars' iPPV will NOT be airing on GoFightLive! #WatchROH

Kevin Kelly ‏ @realkevinkelly
Yes. Not on GFL though, thank God RT @H0D01986: Is Border Wars going to be on IPPV?

YES
YES
YES
Deadpool

Re: ROH Fires GFL

Post by Deadpool »

See, this why I celebrate Jesus every Easter. Miracles like this happen.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

[Daniel]YES ! YES ! YES![/Bryan]
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

From PWIE

ROH TO PARTNER WITH NEW iPPV COMPANY GOING FORWARD

by Mike Johnson
http://www.pwinsiderelite.com/article.php?id=67479&p=1
Following the issues with the Showdown in the Sun iPPVs on Wrestlemania weekend, Ring of Honor will be using another Internet PPV provider going forward.
ROH announcer Kevin Kelly confirmed the news via his Twitter, writing, "Yes. Not on GFL though, thank God" to a fan asking if the May 12th Toronto event would be held via iPPV.

Technical problems pretty much destroyed the ROH iPPVs over Wrestlemania weekend, one of the busiest weekends of the year for pro wrestling. One person blamed the issues on new technology that hadn't properly been tested being used on the first broadcast. Issues with the second broadcast were blamed on a pretty major brownout in the Fort Lauderdale area.

In asking around I am told the company is mulling over several possibilities going forward. The most obvious choices would be Hybrid.ent, which handles CZW iPPVs, WWNLive.com (run by Sal Hamaoui and Gabe Saopolsky, who both have long histories with ROH before the sides parted ways, which led to WWNLive.com being created) or the company bringing the iPPV broadcasts in house and running it themselves.

ROH has been running Internet PPVs for several years, popularizing the iPPV concept for independent wrestling promotions. They were expected to move away from Go Fight Live following the Florida iPPVs but Kelly's comments were the first public acknowledgement of that.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

HarpoonIPA wrote:From PWIE

by Mike Johnson
Following the issues with the Showdown in the Sun iPPVs on Wrestlemania weekend, Ring of Honor will be using another Internet PPV provider going forward.
ROH announcer Kevin Kelly confirmed the news via his Twitter, writing, "Yes. Not on GFL though, thank God" to a fan asking if the May 12th Toronto event would be held via iPPV.

Technical problems pretty much destroyed the ROH iPPVs over Wrestlemania weekend, one of the busiest weekends of the year for pro wrestling. One person blamed the issues on new technology that hadn't properly been tested being used on the first broadcast. Issues with the second broadcast were blamed on a pretty major brownout in the Fort Lauderdale area.

In asking around I am told the company is mulling over several possibilities going forward. The most obvious choices would be Hybrid.ent, which handles CZW iPPVs, WWNLive.com (run by Sal Hamaoui and Gabe Saopolsky, who both have long histories with ROH before the sides parted ways, which led to WWNLive.com being created) or the company bringing the iPPV broadcasts in house and running it themselves.

ROH has been running Internet PPVs for several years, popularizing the iPPV concept for independent wrestling promotions. They were expected to move away from Go Fight Live following the Florida iPPVs but Kelly's comments were the first public acknowledgement of that.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WWNLive. Just establish something with Gabe so we can use some of the DGUSA/Evolve guys down the road maybe.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

fm20000 wrote:
HarpoonIPA wrote:From PWIE

by Mike Johnson

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WWNLive. Just establish something with Gabe so we can use some of the DGUSA/Evolve guys down the road maybe.
That would be great, lets hope for the best for all involved if it happens
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
Motion.

Post by Motion. »

Delighted.

I've never ordered anything off WWN before, but I heard DGUSA's latest iPPV ran very smoothly. I'm guessing they'd be the best option.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

WWNLive is a major stretch, I would think.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I'd be absolutely amazed if ROH come to an agreement with Gabe, even if it's just to use WWNLive.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:I'd be absolutely amazed if ROH come to an agreement with Gabe, even if it's just to use WWNLive.
Yeah, itd be the best route. I got their $1.99 iPPV and had no issues what-so-ever. But it aint gonna happen

But you cant tell me SBG cant come up w/ some way to but this on iPPV themselves?
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

I've yet to see a credible report that ROH has parted ways with GFL.

Doing one non-GFL PPV doesn't mean that they won't be continuing to fulfil obligations to GFL for the time being.

Anyone that suggests WWNLive as an option doesn't know what WWNLive is.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

ROHWorld_Dave wrote:I've yet to see a credible report that ROH has parted ways with GFL.

Doing one non-GFL PPV doesn't mean that they won't be continuing to fulfil obligations to GFL for the time being.

Why would they do all iPPVs on GFL and just miss one off? They're clearly leaving GFL and partnering with someone different, or streaming themselves.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Motion. wrote:Delighted.

I've never ordered anything off WWN before, but I heard DGUSA's latest iPPV ran very smoothly. I'm guessing they'd be the best option.
DGUSA's last IPPV ran smoothly

But everyone seemed to forget that all their previous PPV's had tons of technical issues
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:
ROHWorld_Dave wrote:I've yet to see a credible report that ROH has parted ways with GFL.

Why would they do all iPPVs on GFL and just miss one off? They're clearly leaving GFL and partnering with someone different, or streaming themselves.
It's possible that ROH had a pre-existing agreement w/ GFL to do Best in the World, and since they decided to do Border Wars as an iPPV, presumably recently, they decided to go with someone new to test out how they do.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Kevin Kelly saying they've parted ways, and it being reported by Mike Johnson makes it pretty credible to me.

while some situations that happened in Florida were out of GFL's hands (such as the brownout that hit the neighborhood), there were plenty of issues that GFL really should have had a better handle on, some of which i'm not at liberty to discuss, but other things that are common knowledge. from everything i've heard, GFL is been terrible, and that might be even a bit too complimentary.
cviens

Post by cviens »

Ignorant wording for the subject. They didn't fire GFL, they terminated a partnership with them.

This needed to happen. GFL's service has proven to be faulty and unacceptable.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

It is absolutely inexcusable they "terminated" this partnership a month before a scheduled iPPV without anything concrete in place. Baffling. You guys do realize that WWNLive and HybridEnt.tv are monsterous downgrades in comparison to GFL, right? A stupid, knee jerk reaction. I don't know what happened last weekend, I assume it was unfamiliarity with the building and newer technology unproven, and I don't know what other options are available beyond the two mentioned or doing their own thing, but GFL made strides every single ROH iPPV and it was apparent. 10YA ran flawlessly and offered a 720p upstream, and had the ondemand/replays up almost immediately. Neither WWNLive or HybridEnt.tv are even capable of coming close to doing either of those things. They really should have used their heads before making this switch, but it isn't surprising because they do a lot of stupid shit.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

I feel that this was the right decision and is long overdue quite frankly. The poor streaming may have ruined the iPPVs for many, not even including this weekend. If ROH can find the perfect streaming provider, the iPPV experience would be so much more enjoyable for all of us. This is a step in the right direction to say the least.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I don't see WWNLive being particularly likely at all...

And, to quote SteenMark23 - I'm not sure the 'perfect streaming provider' actually exists yet. By all accounts all the different iPPV providers floating around aren't perfect yet

My concern is that ROH are planning to move iPPV in-house which makes sense in the long run - but could be pretty calamitous considering they have basically a month to get everything up and ready. Remember how long it took them to get their DVD's back up to scratch after they brought that in house??
Tree

Post by Tree »

ninetwentyfour wrote:, I assume it was unfamiliarity with the building and newer technology unproven...They really should have used their heads before making this switch, but it isn't surprising because they do a lot of stupid shit.
1. A major component of GFL's job is to be familiar with the building, and to ensure that "new technology" works.

2. go ahead. what other "stupid shit" are you referring to? spill it.