ROH Fires GFL

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Re: ROH Fires GFL

Post by HarpoonIPA »

I tweeted Dave Lagana about 2 months before he left ROH about how ROH should be doing more IPPV's and more or less he told me to eat shit and that was a stupid idea because 5 IPPV'S a year are all ROH needs. Fast forward since he left and ROH is doing more IPPV's then ever, albeit the feeds haven't been as good as when he was with ROH, but doing more IPPV'S is a good thing. To this day, I wonder if ROH wanted to do more but Dave kept saying no on the idea
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Yea Lagana was really rude and arrogant on Twitter.

And for whatever reason, he also really disliked ROHWorld.com and refused to co-operate with us at all. Sorry for promoting your product Dave! :lol:
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:Yea Lagana was really rude and arrogant on Twitter.

And for whatever reason, he also really disliked ROHWorld.com and refused to co-operate with us at all. Sorry for promoting your product Dave! :lol:
I guess he didn't like the way you wouldn't Ball wash him :lol:
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

HarpoonIPA wrote:
ROHWorld_Harry wrote:Yea Lagana was really rude and arrogant on Twitter.

I guess he didn't like the way you wouldn't Ball wash him :lol:
In the words of Paul London: Fuck you, Dave Lasagna.
Nykk

Post by Nykk »

Just registered to say it's about damn time!

Also, I've had my own interactions with Lagana on Twitter, and yes he is a fucking prick.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

187_Joeism wrote:Maybe the reason because ROH are blaming GFL is because is GFL fault and not ROH?
Yeah, plenty of other companies have done perfectly fine on GFL.

The fact of the matter is, ROH's production has never been competitive. The company has a history of poor performances when it comes to producing/distributing video content, not to mention graphics and written content (on the official site). ROH has always gone with the cheap option of doing everything in-house and that's why smaller companies, like Chikara, kick their ass on aesthetics, organisation and distribution.

Basically, I think it's time for some money to be spent on getting things right. They just don't have the skills in-house.
Tree wrote:Dave Lagana no longer working for ROH. his departure, imho, is the primary reason for all these problems, but it doesn't change the relative ineptness that GFL has displayed.
This is 100% right. Lagana's departure has coincided with the worst iPPV problems to date, not to mention a decrease in booking quality and a weakening of the companies' social media presence.

Individual fans' perspectives on Lagana's personality don't really have any bearing on his talent for, and experience of, producing wrestling.

Let's not forget that Lagana was writing for 'Friends' when he was, roughly, the same age as the average poster on this board. He's one of the few people in the wrestling industry that isn't a complete moron.
HarpoonIPA wrote:5 IPPV'S a year are all ROH needs.
He was right. I'd be surprised if many people disagree on the ideal number being between 4 and 6.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I have nothing good to say about Dave Lagana. He's just a horrible, horrible man. They miss him production wise but he's never been a good 'writer' in my opinion and was one of the main men behind one of Smackdown's worst ever runs (yes, worse than it is now...)

I had reported illegal download links to Lagana on several occasions and he always replied with a 'well, what can I do?' attitude which I thought was very unprofessional and unhelpful.

GFL do sound very amateur but credit to David Klarman because he did help us out by allowing us to run a competition over the Honor Takes Center Stage weekend last year for a signed posted from the whole roster. Unfortunately after that, he was very short with us but I still think that was because of Lagana.
rohdetroitfan

Post by rohdetroitfan »

While I agree that SITS was a complete debacle on the ippv side, only time will tell if this was a good move by ROH. Let's face it, we don't know who they are partnering with AND if they are going to a better job than GFL. I'm not a GFL fan by any means but if the new provider isn't any better than GFL then what have they accomplished?
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

Ah, the ever confusing ROH board. At first people were complaining and saying ROH needed to kick GFL to the curb, and now people are saying it was a dumb move. It's hilarious really, because everyone knows the best way to do things despite having no expertise on the matter.

I think it'll be a step in the right direction for ROH.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

Just noticed these...
ROHWorld_Harry wrote:Why would they do all iPPVs on GFL and just miss one off? They're clearly leaving GFL and partnering with someone different, or streaming themselves.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they're only three shows into a six show agreement with GFL. This is all very abrupt, and BITW was being advertised as a GFL iPPV.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that they start to phone in token GFL shows, whilst promoting legit PPVs through another provider.
Tree wrote: Kevin Kelly saying they've parted ways, and it being reported by Mike Johnson makes it pretty credible to me.
Kevin Kelly didn't say that. He said they were doing the Toronto PPV with another provider and Mike Johnson misrepresented his vague tweet, and turned it into an entire story. Any article that cites "One person" as a source and calls WWNLive an "obvious choice" isn't credible, in my book.

Also, Kelly has since backtracked on his statement and said that no decision has been "fully made".
Tree

Post by Tree »

GFL provides a valuable service. but, like many businesses that catch a niche, they also seemed not grow quickly enough to keep up with the demand. it happens - it's unfortunate, but the need for speed is great, and while you may start the race hot, if you don't have that finishing kick, others will pass you.

that appears to be what is happening here.

As for Lagana, he's never been anything but nice to me. sure, i've seen him as stand offish, but ultimately, no issues. His mind for television is brilliant. his mind for production is brilliant. if he's an asshole to people, so be it. plenty of people are assholes and still do great jobs at whatever it is he do.

ROH's biggest mistake was not retaining him. TV, iPPVs, every aspect of production would be exponentially - no fractionally, but exponentially better if he were still around.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I had no idea so many people had so many negative Lagana stories

I've never met, nor had any interactions with the guy so, speaking from a purely outside-looking-in perspective, since he's left production on TV/iPPV doesn't seem as crisp

Whether that's down to him or other factors I really don't know. And if some of the stories on here are true then, wow, I had no idea. BUT, from a completely neutral perspective, I do feel like some of what he brought to the ROH table has been missed since he left
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I've got mixed thoughts on Lagana. Talented guy who at times has been very nice to me. But at other times has been a total dick. I also think he's kind of a hypocrite based upon his views on wrestling which were in contrast to what TNA does. But money talks I guess.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I have no experiences with Lagana, but what ROH desperately needs is people who can get the job done well, not nice people. Just keep him away from Twitter or something.
Last Real Man Hype
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Marketh. wrote:I have no experiences with Lagana, but what ROH desperately needs is people who can get the job done well, not nice people. Just keep him away from Twitter or something.
Yea they should've kept him as the production guy. But replaced him with someone else for all things social media.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:I have nothing good to say about Dave Lagana. He's just a horrible, horrible man. They miss him production wise but he's never been a good 'writer' in my opinion and was one of the main men behind one of Smackdown's worst ever runs (yes, worse than it is now...)
Wasnt SmackDown voted Best Weekly Television Show for 2011?