Final Battle 2018 Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Final Battle 2018 Official Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Ring of Honor’s seminal event, Final Battle, emanates from Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom on Friday, Dec. 14. Final Battle is ROH’s biggest card of the year and has been the site of some of ROH’s most memorable matches.

All roads lead to the G1 Supercard, co-promoted by ROH and New Japan Pro-Wrestling, at sold-out Madison Square Garden on April 6, 2019, and the results at Final Battle undoubtedly will have an impact on the historic show.

ROH FINAL BATTLE

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 8 p.m. ET
The Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom
311 W 34th Street
New York, New York 10001

ALREADY SIGNED:

MAIN EVENT
ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH
ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL vs. CODY

TRIPLE THREAT LADDER WAR FOR ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS SCU vs. YOUNG BUCKS vs. BRISCOES

ROH WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION JEFF COBB vs. “HANGMAN” ADAM PAGE

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL FOR WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD TITLE
WOH WORLD CHAMPION SUMIE SAKAI vs. MADISON RAYNE vs. KAREN Q vs. KELLY KLEIN

FOR MARTY SCURLL’S SHOT AT THE ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
“THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL vs. CHRISTOPHER DANIELS

MATT TAVEN vs. DALTON CASTLE

JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. ZACK SABRE JR.

I QUIT MATCH – WINNER MAKES HIS OPPONENT SAY I QUIT
FLIP GORDON vs. BULLY RAY
Last edited by monster mafia on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
monster mafia

Re: Final Battle 2018 Official Thread

Post by monster mafia »

MAIN EVENT
ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH
ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL vs. CODY

MATT TAVEN vs. DALTON CASTLE

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL FOR WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD TITLE
WOH WORLD CHAMPION SUMIE SAKAI vs. MADISON RAYNE vs. KAREN Q vs. WINNER OF KELLY KLEIN/JENNY ROSE

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Final Battle really isn't an event for me anymore, but from what I see here (and from what I've gleaned from the spoilers) this looks like a very rewarding show from ROH. Pretty awesome to clearly see the progress Taven and Castle have made this year with this potential semi-main event role.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am Final Battle really isn't an event for me anymore, but from what I see here (and from what I've gleaned from the spoilers) this looks like a very rewarding show from ROH. Pretty awesome to clearly see the progress Taven and Castle have made this year with this potential semi-main event role.
I'm really interested, what do you mean with "isn't an event for you"? :shock:
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

The card for this is pretty great, imo. There's like 4 or 5 matches on there that could all be really great. And a lot of veteran talent used well, I think. Honestly might be one of the best ROH PPV cards of the last few years, talent-wise.

Spoilers below.
Spoiler: show
According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, here is the card for the December 14th ROH Final Battle, which takes place at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York…

* Bully Ray vs. Flip Gordon
* Jonathan Gresham vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
* Matt Taven vs. Dalton Castle
* Christopher Daniels vs. Marty Scurll
* ROH Women of Honor Champion Sumie Sakai vs. Madison Rayne vs. TBD vs. TBA
* ROH Tag Team Champions Kazarian & Sky vs. The Briscoes vs. The Young Bucks (ladder match)
* ROH TV Champion Jeff Cobb vs. Adam Page
* ROH Champion Jay Lethal vs. Cody
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am
Wilson wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am Final Battle really isn't an event for me anymore, but from what I see here (and from what I've gleaned from the spoilers) this looks like a very rewarding show from ROH. Pretty awesome to clearly see the progress Taven and Castle have made this year with this potential semi-main event role.
I'm not energized by ROH in general these days--which has probably been pretty apparent these past two years. That said, the amount of storylines they're paying off at Final Battle seems very appealing. On paper, considering match chemistry and storyline beats, this seems like a really well composed card.

Are you going to write a preview of this show this year, Alex? I'm wondering where you think this PPV shapes up compared to ROH's overall big shows.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm
AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am
I'm not energized by ROH in general these days--which has probably been pretty apparent these past two years. That said, the amount of storylines they're paying off at Final Battle seems very appealing. On paper, considering match chemistry and storyline beats, this seems like a really well composed card.

Are you going to write a preview of this show this year, Alex? I'm wondering where you think this PPV shapes up compared to ROH's overall big shows.
Yeah this PPV really have some interesting things.

And sure, i think I'll end up writing a preview for my website in spanish, so I can get through more details, and will like the translated version here if anyone is interested in reading It, as always.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION JEFF COBB vs. “HANGMAN” ADAM PAGE

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. ZACK SABRE JR.

alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Yeah the stuff announced for this is really strong. Hard for me to see this NOT being the best show of the year, wrestling quality-wise. Awesome to see Cobb vs Page and Gresham vs ZSJ on a ROH show.

FINALLY... some WRESTLING! Thank you ROH.

I know this doesn't mean we get less Cheeseburger, less Brian Milonas, less of ROH's B team. But atleast on this night, we'll get some actual good wrestling thrown in there for once.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I, too, think the show will be quite excellent, but I'm not certain it will be better than BITW was. My only real concern is Delirious' time-management skills. It's yet another reason why I think the Cody vs. Lethal and Taven vs. Dalton matches should be combined into one (and also now Cody's injury is yet another).
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I would only want them to combine the matches if Taven goes over. If he's not winning the belt at Final Battle, I'm hoping he can have a showcase match with Castle and go over clean.
JDE

Post by JDE »

I’m going to Final Battle live. I cannot wait for Gresham and ZSJ.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Zack and Gresham really had a great feud in Beyond two years ago. This should be a great match.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I really like the card, there are alot of call backs to many careers not just within ROH and in the outside world.

I think you've got three guarranteed great matches and another three that could really deliver making it a great event to watch. My hope is that Dalton and Taven really deliver, there really the new ROH and they need to show where the company is headed wrestling quality wise.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I QUIT MATCH – WINNER MAKES HIS OPPONENT SAY I QUIT

FLIP GORDON vs. BULLY RAY

Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 pm JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. ZACK SABRE JR.

Really, really looking forward to this match. The only concern I have is that they won't get as much time as they need to tell their story. Come on, at the 10 minute mark these guys could still be having counter holds with neither having an established run on offense and still have me eating out of the palm of their hands. I would be satisfied with 20 minutes allotted for this match.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:36 am
monster mafia wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 pm JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. ZACK SABRE JR.

Really, really looking forward to this match. The only concern I have is that they won't get as much time as they need to tell their story. Come on, at the 10 minute mark these guys could still be having counter holds with neither having an established run on offense and still have me eating out of the palm of their hands. I would be satisfied with 20 minutes allotted for this match.
Yeah. Looking at this card, this really seems like the match they'll either throw out as the "solid wrestling opener" or a match they'll use as a come-down match after Bully vs. Flip, so I just don't see it getting the time it needs. Fortunately, these are the kind of guys who can give you a nice 10-12 minutes of wrestling with a small package finish that only makes you want to see a rematch even more, which will hopefully be put in a spot there it can be given the time it deserves.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:39 pm I would only want them to combine the matches if Taven goes over. If he's not winning the belt at Final Battle, I'm hoping he can have a showcase match with Castle and go over clean.
I think he and Dalton should be past the point where they are having a "showcase match" for someone. This should feel like a big match but it doesn't (at least to me, yet. I've only seen the first night and the first two matches from the second night of Global Wars). I also think they're making a major mistake by not having Taven's fake title on the line. Why even have it if he's not going to defend it like a real world champion would?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 am
famicommander wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:39 pm I would only want them to combine the matches if Taven goes over. If he's not winning the belt at Final Battle, I'm hoping he can have a showcase match with Castle and go over clean.
I think he and Dalton should be past the point where they are having a "showcase match" for someone. This should feel like a big match but it doesn't (at least to me, yet. I've only seen the first night and the first two matches from the second night of Global Wars). I also think they're making a major mistake by not having Taven's fake title on the line. Why even have it if he's not going to defend it like a real world champion would?
Agreed. Delirious recycles the "Other World Champion" every 3 years or so. I feel they missed the boat with Taven on this. With the storyline of the conspiracy, Delirious could have had him go in a different direction as an all-out heel after getting screwed out of the world title. Maybe in a Pillman like direction and break the fourth wall a bit and intimate Delirious and the company are holding him back.

And while I'm at it, Taven has outgrown The Kingdom.