ROH Best In The World 2018 Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: ROH Best In The World 2018 Official Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

So will Martinez vs. Page be
Spoiler: show
for the Television Title now
?
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Punishment/Page is 100% going to steal the show. If they do something like that Punishment/Scurll match from a few months ago, it'll be sweet. I'm just hoping Adam Page is healthy enough.

After all my complaining, one of my friends hit me up and we may just be buying the ppv tonight lol. Talent-wise, with Kushida/Lethal added, it's not the worst card in the world. If some of the regulars turn it up a notch, could be a good show. Anybody else ordering tonight?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'm attending.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am Punishment/Page is 100% going to steal the show. If they do something like that Punishment/Scurll match from a few months ago, it'll be sweet. I'm just hoping Adam Page is healthy enough.

After all my complaining, one of my friends hit me up and we may just be buying the ppv tonight lol. Talent-wise, with Kushida/Lethal added, it's not the worst card in the world. If some of the regulars turn it up a notch, could be a good show. Anybody else ordering tonight?
Watching live here from Spain man. I think this could be good. That Page vs. Martinez should be bloody great, just like the Street Fights both had in the past, but I think Briscoes vs. Bucks are gonna steal the show.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 pm
alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am Punishment/Page is 100% going to steal the show. If they do something like that Punishment/Scurll match from a few months ago, it'll be sweet. I'm just hoping Adam Page is healthy enough.

Watching live here from Spain man. I think this could be good. That Page vs. Martinez should be bloody great, just like the Street Fights both had in the past, but I think Briscoes vs. Bucks are gonna steal the show.
Not only Street Fights, but even when they have been given very little time in gimmick matches, these two have almost always managed to pull out something great. Even if they get shafted on time I still think it will steal the show.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm
AlexROH wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Not only Street Fights, but even when they have been given very little time in gimmick matches, these two have almost always managed to pull out something great. Even if they get shafted on time I still think it will steal the show.
Yeah, agree with that. Hope Hangman do something crazy.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

Cool look at the setup for the show tonight.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Mike0284 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 pm Image

Cool look at the setup for the show tonight.
Looks great.
franchise316

Post by franchise316 »

Is anyone else having problems accessing the ppv from the website?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

That might have been the best ROH show I've ever attended. Great atmosphere in the new building and no match disappointed. Curious how it came off on tv.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Dalton/Cody/Scurll was SO GOOD with some great nearfalls, Briscoes/Bucks was epic, Page/Hangman was nuts, Aries/King, and Lethal/KUSHIDA were great matches and fun to watch. Those are the matches that stood out to me at least.

That was a great fucking show.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

On paper going in I thought this was the best overall PPV card they've done in the live PPV era. Definitely delivered on canvas.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Very good PPV! Except for the main event (that was too short due time problems) everything worked great.

Liked the first hour with some good matches and the Bully-Flip angle. I'm not the biggest fan of this thing, but Flip really looked great and people were behind him, plus, Bully is getting nuclear heat again and that is good; the they he looses, Flip will be even more over with the crowd. Women of Honor action was great, people were invested in the beginning, but the STARDOM girls put on a solid match.

From here, the show was awesome. Aries put on a fantastic heel performance and made Kenny King look like gold. Really liked the story. Aries winning opens the door for more matches in ROH; plus, Riccaboni saying "IMPACT WRESTLING" was kindda crazy ahahah.

Lethal vs. KUSHIDA was a clininc. Slow paced match. Great limbwork by both wrestlers. Just a little botch when Lethal had to counter Back to the Future into a Cutter, but man, that match was fantastic and the better of their saga. Page vs. Martinez was pretty entertaining and gave us a different match. I've read people that really loved it, for me was a strong match, but nothing spectacular. I was expecting a little bit more.

I said Briscoes vs. Bucks were gonna steal the show... and they did it! Terrifc match for the tag titles with an amazing crowd. First I was a little pissed off because the hit by the Briscoes was too short, but then I realized that they were going for more of a Tornato Rules tag match. Great nearfalls in the end. My main problem righ now is... SCU as babyfaces? I don't know how this will work.

Main event was okay. They were short on time and had to do everything fast, plus, people were tired after the tag match. They did some cool nearfalls in the end but WTF DALTON WINNING? Didn't see that comming.

Trios title ⭐⭐⭐1/4
Bully vs. Flip ⭐⭐⭐ (as a segment)
WOH ⭐⭐⭐1/2
Aries vs. King ⭐⭐⭐3/4
Lethal vs. KUSHIDA ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4
TV Title ⭐⭐⭐3/4
Tag Titles ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4
ME ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Final rating: 8/10.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Yeah gotta agree with your assessment of the main event Alex. Seems to be an issue that has plagued PPV main events in this PPV era since BITW 2014, always strapped for time as not to go over their allotment on television providers. May be best just to stop running them on television amd stick to internet ROH website and Fite alike.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Anyone think Dashwood looked a little sloppy out there? Not horrible or anything, but a little awkward like she wasn't comfortable with the STARDOM girls.
LesnarScurll

Post by LesnarScurll »

Glad you all liked it. I thought it was an underwhelming ppv myself. Nothing bad but nothing great either. Briscoes/Bucks being the best of the night. TV title match ended to abruptly and the Main Event was unspectacular. The undercard got the most airtime an issue that roh needs to quickly rectify. Dalton retaining was a surprise as I thought that he would probably need some more time to heal. Probably not another championship match for awhile now. Love Marty but was rooting for Cody in this as I think he's a good heel champion. This card on paper looked great but failed to deliver: 5/10 rating from me.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I disagree about Dalton winning being a surprise. Cody wasn't going to win and then lose to the IWGP champion again. We learned that lesson. Marty winning would have been cold storylinewise since he really hasn't done anything to build tho the match with Castle since he pinned him months ago. The whole story with Marty was in-fighting worth Cody. Dalton still owes Taven a title match. Most likely If anyone takes the title off Castle that's where it happens.

I don't mind the main event being a little short on time. Dalton being banged up probably isn't in the shadow to go 20-30 minutes and if Cody has to go that long he'd need multiple spots to stall. I rather they did what they did and go balls to the wall from the beginning to the end.

Did they show Cody shake Daltons hand and help him to the back in the PPV?
LesnarScurll

Post by LesnarScurll »

No. It just showed everyone lying on the Matt with a quick "We're out of time everyone! Happy Wrestling"! Cool that happened though. And I would be totally fine with a Taven title run.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 am I disagree about Dalton winning being a surprise. Cody wasn't going to win and then lose to the IWGP champion again. We learned that lesson. Marty winning would have been cold storylinewise since he really hasn't done anything to build tho the match with Castle since he pinned him months ago. The whole story with Marty was in-fighting worth Cody. Dalton still owes Taven a title match. Most likely If anyone takes the title off Castle that's where it happens.
I think there are a host of reasons why the title could have went to any of the three men last night. Marty would've maybe been the biggest surprise, but we know how things could just change on the drop of a dime for a Bullet Club storyline.

I'm really glad Dalton is champion. Hope his body continues to recover.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

marty winning the international cup and the tittle in the uk?

what dou you guys think?

ps. i like dalton, hope he can have a full recovery.