Honor United Tour 2018

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Honor United Tour 2018

Post by AlexROH »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 pm So what's up with Jay Briscoe and London? Unless I missed it, he doesn't have a match still. Which is annoying. As a two time champ who rarely wrestles as a singles anymore, I wish they had booked him versus Tanahashi or Sanada or something.
Our prayers have been answered hahaha. This match could be f'n great, so hyped for Saturday.

maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

AlexROH wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:37 am
maxx_powerz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 pm So what's up with Jay Briscoe and London? Unless I missed it, he doesn't have a match still. Which is annoying. As a two time champ who rarely wrestles as a singles anymore, I wish they had booked him versus Tanahashi or Sanada or something.
Our prayers have been answered hahaha. This match could be f'n great, so hyped for Saturday.

I'm not quite as optimistic as you, feels like a throwaway midcard match that will be kept short. But I haven't seen much of Haskins either, and maybe ROH has plans to feature him going forward like Ospreay or Scurll last year.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Great to see Haskins and Williams in singles matches. Haskins hasn't had a blowaway singles match in ROH, and I don't think Jay Briscoe will get him there, but he definitely has it in him to do so. Williams and Gresham/Lethal, singles match. Do it, cowards.
AlexROH wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 am - Dalton/Boys vs. Bully/Martinez/Taylor
Are they--no way-could it--wha--why, why do this to us?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

maxx_powerz wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:17 pm
AlexROH wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:37 am

I'm not quite as optimistic as you, feels like a throwaway midcard match that will be kept short. But I haven't seen much of Haskins either, and maybe ROH has plans to feature him going forward like Ospreay or Scurll last year.
Yeah, it Will be a midcard match but it could be really cool. And yeah, Haskins is the British talent that ROH likes the most. They've had conversations in the past, so if he moves to the US or if he's looking foward to travel to the US, ROH will sure offer him a contract.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH does need to get on the ball with some of these UK guys. They would be great additions to the regular roster if they ever do re-locate. Haskins, especially. But there's plenty of great UK talent that's not with WWE. If ROH could feature them more, it'd be a good look for everybody involved.

What card looks best to you guys? I might watch some of tomorrow's card, but it does look like the weakest of the 3. Maybe it will be like WOTW, with a couple good matches on the early nights and then the strongest card on the final night (Sunday). I like that they're really early shows too, which is rare. I think the last UK shows they did were put up a day or two after the event.

Am I the only one that wishes they would have done Doug Williams vs Christopher Daniels instead of Silas?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm ROH does need to get on the ball with some of these UK guys. They would be great additions to the regular roster if they ever do re-locate. Haskins, especially. But there's plenty of great UK talent that's not with WWE. If ROH could feature them more, it'd be a good look for everybody involved.

What card looks best to you guys? I might watch some of tomorrow's card, but it does look like the weakest of the 3. Maybe it will be like WOTW, with a couple good matches on the early nights and then the strongest card on the final night (Sunday). I like that they're really early shows too, which is rare. I think the last UK shows they did were put up a day or two after the event.

Am I the only one that wishes they would have done Doug Williams vs Christopher Daniels instead of Silas?
I think London is the strongest one, with more singles matches and less multi man random teams. And yeah, good to see they are doing these shows early. I remember 2 years ago in Liverpool when the show ended and 23.15 or something like that.

Williams vs. Daniels could have been special, but that match has already took place. They faced each other 2 months ago in IPW:UK. Plus, Doug vs. Silas feels fresh and is pretty awesome to see Doug fighting for a championship too.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

AlexROH wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pmI think London is the strongest one, with more singles matches and less multi man random teams. And yeah, good to see they are doing these shows early. I remember 2 years ago in Liverpool when the show ended and 23.15 or something like that.

Williams vs. Daniels could have been special, but that match has already took place. They faced each other 2 months ago in IPW:UK. Plus, Doug vs. Silas feels fresh and is pretty awesome to see Doug fighting for a championship too.
I get what you are saying about the IPW match. That actually would probably make the ROH one, if they did one, even better. I remember seeing ACH vs Steen live at a PWG show a month or two after their ROH match and they did call backs and the familiarity just made it a really good match. PLUS I think Williams/Daniels just has more star power, and it's a throwback to their familiarity in ROH circa 2002-2003. They could play their old match at intermission and then do callbacks. But eh, they went with Silas. To me, Silas still has the stench of a lower midcarder. But ROH is really dead set on pushing some of these mediocre guys they have.

Looking back, they had SHIBATA on a PPV in Vegas. And they gave THAT match to Silas? I just don't see him as being on the same level as Shibata, or even on the same level as old man Doug Williams. That's just my take, though. Feel free to defend Silas, he's had a couple good PPV matches in the last couple years. But I am just not compelled to watch him.. at times, it feels like a chore watching his stuff. Now, if he and Doug tear the house down, I will eat my words. (But I REALLLLLLLY can't see that happening)
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm ROH does need to get on the ball with some of these UK guys. They would be great additions to the regular roster if they ever do re-locate. Haskins, especially. But there's plenty of great UK talent that's not with WWE. If ROH could feature them more, it'd be a good look for everybody involved.
They'd also have to pay a shit ton of money to sponsor each person as I doubt many of these UK based indie wrestlers have sufficient degrees to gain VISA's to work in the United States. It isn't as simple as sending someone an email and offering them some money to wrestle.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It would be nice to see the NJPW/ROH/CMLL/Rev Pro group try to lock up some British talent. The last WWE raid took a good chunk of talent.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Tell me if I'm right. Show in London starts at 6pm UK time and doors for meet and greet are open at 4 pm ?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Nick Aldis got ZERO crowd reaction in Scotland.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

KL_ wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 am Tell me if I'm right. Show in London starts at 6pm UK time and doors for meet and greet are open at 4 pm ?
Yes.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Average show so far. Nothing bad, nothing great. Short and sweet matches. Crowd looks dead. Last year it was the same, so maybe it's more a sound problem think, idk, I wanna give the benefit of the doubt to the scottish crowd ahahah.

Sky vs. Taylor ⭐⭐⭐
SANADA/EVIL vs. Addiction ⭐⭐⭐1/4
Sakai/Tenille vs. Chardo/Klein ⭐⭐
King vs. Martinez ⭐⭐⭐
Bucks vs. Aldis/Haskins ⭐⭐⭐1/2
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Second half was way better. The TV Title match was greaaaaaat with a really hot crowd. Silas worked well and Hendry looked way better than 2 years ago. Really liked the ME too, but people were a little tired. Briscoes' work has been top level during his reign and I really like how ROH present the tag titles as something big.

Boys vs. Yano/Delirious COMEDY
Hendry vs. Young ⭐⭐⭐3/4
Tana/Castle/Lethal vs. Kingdom ⭐⭐⭐1/4+
Briscoes vs. Cody/Page ⭐⭐⭐3/4

Fun show, an easy watch ---> 6,5 / 10.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I asked a fan about the crowd live:

"Yes the crowd were very loud. It’s almost like a football crowd, a lot of chants. They maybe muted the crowd as the chants had a lot of swears. The atmosphere for the Joe Hendry match was amazing"
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Hopefully the next 2 have better audio. Sounds like the problem they were having with mic'ing live events a year or two ago(?) - I remember a Vegas PPV that was pretty wild and then getting home and reading reviews that said the crowd was dead. Seems like a pretty easy fix. They definitely need to do something about it.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm
They'd also have to pay a shit ton of money to sponsor each person as I doubt many of these UK based indie wrestlers have sufficient degrees to gain VISA's to work in the United States. It isn't as simple as sending someone an email and offering them some money to wrestle.
Duh, man, I understand that. I think talent itself is just a MAJOR issue with ROH. I get excited when they have good guys on their shows. Reminds me of the old days. I would take better US guys, too. It wouldn't have to be UK guys.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm I asked a fan about the crowd live:

"Yes the crowd were very loud. It’s almost like a football crowd, a lot of chants. They maybe muted the crowd as the chants had a lot of swears. The atmosphere for the Joe Hendry match was amazing"
I really hope they're not muting the crowd for cursing. It's not on TV! One of the most frustrating things about ROH's presentation over the past few years has been their attitude towards language- i.e. that they try to portray themselves as the cool company but then overreact to the use of any sort of foul language. Pro wrestling can be family friendly, but that doesn't mean that it has to be, especially in a promotion like ROH where due to its level of exposure and timeslot, most of your fanbase is going to be ages 13 and up. I'm not saying you have to curse to be cool, but when your reaction to Kazarian telling someone to "eat a dizz" is to act like he just screamed he f word and several ethnic slurs in the face of a six-year-old child, that makes you uncool.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Crowd seemed fine to me, don't know what you guys are talking about. Commentary audio dipped so low I couldn't hear it sometimes, but I could always hear the crowd.

Except for when Nick Aldis came to the ring.

But even Shane Taylor was getting an audible crowd reaction.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am Crowd seemed fine to me, don't know what you guys are talking about. Commentary audio dipped so low I couldn't hear it sometimes, but I could always hear the crowd.

Except for when Nick Aldis came to the ring.

But even Shane Taylor was getting an audible crowd reaction.
It looks like people are arguing why the in-person reports are clashing with their audible experience for the broadcast. Fans always bring up poor micing for events, but there's really only so much you can do if the event hall you're working in isn't acoustically optimized. ROH has been suffering this since the early days (only with their mics frequently getting blown out).

The Edinburg Corn Exchange is a rectilinear box used for weddings and banquests. Sounds will disperse eccentrically in these spaces. And large ceilinged venues can be even worse. Hammerstein is *always* louder in person than in broadcast.