ROH's worst moments

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

ROH's worst moments

Post by AlexROH »

Today is ROH's 16th birthday. For all these year, ROH has become famous for being a company with great wrestlers and matches. We've talk (a lot) about the great memories, events and wrestlers ROH has ever produced so, how about talking about the not so good things?

Let's put in common the worst moments in ROH company. Matches, storylines, wrestlers, booking decisions, nonsensical things... whatever. I think this could be a very fun way to celebrate the 16 years of ROH.
famicommander

Re: ROH's worst moments

Post by famicommander »

Rob Feinstein scandal
Jim Cornette being hired
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The rape segment with Bobby Dempsey and Allison Danger still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 pm The rape segment with Bobby Dempsey and Allison Danger still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Happy 10th anniversary!
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I don't think you can equate something like the Feinstein thing with the Danger/Sweeney/Dempsey segment or hiring Cornette (I assume you mean the third time around. His first run was inoffensive, he was wonderful in 2005-2006, and I don't even think he was that bad in his second run until he got more power when the Sinclair TV started), simply because the Feinstein things was out of ROH's control. It was a bad thing that happened to the company rather than being a bad thing that the company did.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I don't like anything Jim Cornette has done besides cutting promos in about 25 years.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Creating ROH 6-man tag team championship titles.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Without Cornette, ROH would’ve died 7 years ago.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I still am unclear if it was 100% "the plan" because we know Jay was legit injured to some degree. But even if it was less than 100%, ROH had plenty of chances to get the belt off him, so disrupting the continuity of the lineage of the ROH title by stripping Jay Briscoe and holding a tournament still pisses me off.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Also, this is a minor thing, but Nigel wrestling Tyler to a fifty minute long hour draw was so stupid and amateurish.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am I don't think you can equate something like the Feinstein thing with the Danger/Sweeney/Dempsey segment or hiring Cornette (I assume you mean the third time around. His first run was inoffensive, he was wonderful in 2005-2006, and I don't even think he was that bad in his second run until he got more power when the Sinclair TV started), simply because the Feinstein things was out of ROH's control. It was a bad thing that happened to the company rather than being a bad thing that the company did.
Agree. Do you have any bad/funny moment that comes to your mind? Given all the shows you've seen, I thought you would put some dumps Booking and stupid things that have happen.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am I don't think you can equate something like the Feinstein thing with the Danger/Sweeney/Dempsey segment or hiring Cornette (I assume you mean the third time around. His first run was inoffensive, he was wonderful in 2005-2006, and I don't even think he was that bad in his second run until he got more power when the Sinclair TV started), simply because the Feinstein things was out of ROH's control. It was a bad thing that happened to the company rather than being a bad thing that the company did.
Agree. Do you have any bad/funny moment that comes to your mind? Given all the shows you've seen, I thought you would put some dumps Booking and stupid things that have happen.
The Danger-Sweeney thing was certainly distasteful and is high up on the list. As far as booking goes, pinning down individual moments is hard, as a lot the problems have really been more due to the way things have played out than to any individual moment being so bad. KRD, for example, wasn't something I liked, but there was no one moment that was terrible so much as it was just a bad idea to do the whole storyline. Even when there have been single moments (like, say, handling of Necro and the general booking in Steel Cage Warfare at Glory By Honor VII, a lot of it has come down to just "bad booking" rather than something I would consider a real "terrible" mistake or horribly distasteful occurrence.
If I had to pin something down to a single moment, it'd probably either be the finishes of the main events at All-Star Extravaganza VII or Global Wars 2016, or maybe Cody winning the belt, but a lot of that is more due to what they signaled about the promotion (although all three had glaring problems with them that should have been visible at the time) but the booker either didn't see or chose to ignore.
As someone who was live in the building for the infamous 48-minute draw, most of the anger in that moment was because we thought it was an angle, not a legitimate screw-up by the timekeeper. It was still bad an amateurish, though, and the sort of thing that shouldn't ever happen.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Am I the first to mention the first ringside segment in company history? Vile, appalling trash with zero redeeming value.
Big Red Machine

supersonic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:48 pm Am I the first to mention the first ringside segment in company history? Vile, appalling trash with zero redeeming value.
Yeah. I think that's actually my pick, hands down. At least the Danger/Sweeney/Dempsey segment was an attempt to get heat on Sweeney. This was pretty literally "They're gay, so let's kill them!" I get what they were trying to do because CSC were seen as "Sports Entertainment"-style "characters," but they didn't have to use CSC for that spot, and the announcers (and crowd, if I remember correctly) basically turned it into out-and-out homophobia. And even if you want to say that all of that was out of Gabe's control, he still had the option to cut it from the DVD but didn't.