An Honorable Mention Presents EP: 149 Underground 1/19/21 MARCH NEWS!!!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: An Honorable Mention... Bryan Danielson 2006 Vol. 1 OUT NOW, Vol. 2 5/8!

Post by AnHonorableMention »

KL_ wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:50 pm You don't need twitter to vote!
Actually I don't have Twitter and I can't vote.
Well, I can live with that.

Thanks for your job :)

It's free, sign up and give us a follow and once we get to 100 follows we'll do a special bonus show.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Manhattan Mayhem, Manhattan Mayhem II & Manhattan Mayhem IV are in a tough race. If you want to hear some great stories, get your votes in! twitter.com/anhonorablepod
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

For those without twitter, you have until Tuesday to vote here: http://pollmaker.vote/p/MWH6FO7B
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

More youtube content out NOW!!!!
Captain Podcast
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I recently listened the 100th show episode and DVD IV episode.
The episode with Hero is very long, but for sure I'll check it to find some stories.

Thanks for you work ;)
AnHonorableMention

Re: An Honorable Mention... Bryan Danielson 2006 Vol. 2 OUT NOW!!!! Manhattan Mayhem 2 5/15!!!

https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/HMjZmPV4

Our best work yet! You’ll never hear Bryan Danielson talked about like this anywhere else
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Re: An Honorable Mention... Bryan Danielson 2006 Vol. 2 OUT NOW!!!! Manhattan Mayhem 2 5/15!!!

Taking your questions for Manhattan Mayhem II, Pick Your Poison, & Revolution USA right now!
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shane and I talked shop on this week of Creative Control with Joe Feeney who crowned us the Flagship Show of the Creative Control Network.

Also happy to announce some shirts are heading to prowrestlingtees soon.

More crazy news to come!
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Re: An Honorable Mention... Manhattan Mayhem 2 5/15!!! The Dayton Funeral 5/22

Post by supersonic »

Curious why Pick Your Poison is being nicknamed "The Dayton Funeral." While there were still great matches, I honestly believe that market stopped getting anything meaningful after War of the Wire II. Nothing afterward could compare to the Joe vs. Punk draw, Styles one night only return, Gibson's debut, Punk's humbling, the ROH vs. CZW chaos, etc.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm Curious why Pick Your Poison is being nicknamed "The Dayton Funeral." While there were still great matches, I honestly believe that market stopped getting anything meaningful after War of the Wire II. Nothing afterward could compare to the Joe vs. Punk draw, Styles one night only return, Gibson's debut, Punk's humbling, the ROH vs. CZW chaos, etc.
I point you to the opening two matches on this show and the fact the Dayton attendance was shrinking time after time. There's also stuff I won't get into outside of the show itself, gotta give you all a reason to tune in, especially with our audience more than tripling in unique downloads this past episode.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Re: An Honorable Mention... Manhattan Mayhem 2 5/15!!! BONUS MINI SHOW 5/17 The Dayton Funeral 5/22

Bonus Show Alert Thursday ALT Commentary Kamala vs Bryan Danielson with Shane & Jeff you won’t want to miss this!
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 pm
supersonic wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm Curious why Pick Your Poison is being nicknamed "The Dayton Funeral." While there were still great matches, I honestly believe that market stopped getting anything meaningful after War of the Wire II. Nothing afterward could compare to the Joe vs. Punk draw, Styles one night only return, Gibson's debut, Punk's humbling, the ROH vs. CZW chaos, etc.
I point you to the opening two matches on this show and the fact the Dayton attendance was shrinking time after time. There's also stuff I won't get into outside of the show itself, gotta give you all a reason to tune in, especially with our audience more than tripling in unique downloads this past episode.
Definitely interested to find out, and it's hard for me to fathom ROH honchos taking Dayton seriously as a market after 3 consecutive years of very difficult to watch 4th quarter events (Suffocation, Reckless Abandon, Escalation.)
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 pm
Definitely interested to find out, and it's hard for me to fathom ROH honchos taking Dayton seriously as a market after 3 consecutive years of very difficult to watch 4th quarter events (Suffocation, Reckless Abandon, Escalation.)

Friday shows were always B towns. Those shows were B shows and Adam's first Dayton show, this being the second. It was a slow death. Reckless Abandon was a fun show BTW. More shenanigans before and after that one. Would love to cover that one day. That weekend was a mess for so many reasons, the next night is as sad as I have ever seen a wrestling locker room/crew.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Re: An Honorable Mention... Manhattan Mayhem 2 5/15!!! BONUS MINI SHOW 5/17 The Dayton Funeral 5/22

Post by supersonic »

Reckless Abandon had one quality match, but it was taped for the Undeniable PPV, so I can only go with what's on the DVD release.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm Reckless Abandon had one quality match, but it was taped for the Undeniable PPV, so I can only go with what's on the DVD release.

You tell me since your opinion is clearly far more accurate than anyone else's, especially than two people who were there in specifics what was so awful about that show.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 pm
supersonic wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm Reckless Abandon had one quality match, but it was taped for the Undeniable PPV, so I can only go with what's on the DVD release.

You tell me since your opinion is clearly far more accurate than anyone else's in specifics what was so awful about that show.
Excluding the PPV match, just a forgettable event with nothing that stood out. I suppose Aries vs. Strong perhaps holds up better over time, but haven't seen it in a decade. I remember being very disappointed in Necro vs. Danielson after their firecracker in PWG a few months earlier.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 pm

You tell me since your opinion is clearly far more accurate than anyone else's in specifics what was so awful about that show.
Excluding the PPV match, just a forgettable event with nothing that stood out. I suppose Aries vs. Strong perhaps holds up better over time, but haven't seen it in a decade. I remember being very disappointed in Necro vs. Danielson after their firecracker in PWG a few months earlier.

Let's break this down...

Singles Match
Claudio Castagnoli defeats Seth Skyfire (7:49) Fun live, not a classic but an exciting opener despite Skyfire pissing himself nervous

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Delirious defeats Adam Pearce (w/Shane Hagadorn) (8:54) fun brawl all around the venue

Singles Match
Chris Hero (w/Bobby Dempsey, Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey & Tank Toland) defeats Jigsaw (14:18)
[Recommended, Meltzer: ***3/4, CAGEMATCH users: 7.43] As fun as it gets for Jigsaw in the singles ranks

ROH World Tag Team Title Match
The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) (c) defeat No Remorse Corps (Davey Richards & Rocky Romero) (8:34) shorter than needed but an action packed 8 minutes

Relaxed Rules Match
Bryan Danielson defeats Necro Butcher (7:37) Disappointing

Non Title Match
Nigel McGuinness defeats Silas Young (7:37) Fun, goofy Silas was genius

Three Way Dance
Davey Richards defeats Erick Stevens and Human Tornado (9:19) A mess

30 Minute Iron Man Match
Austin Aries defeats Roderick Strong [4:3] (30:00) Blast, and I genuinely dislike most of Austin Aries matches

Four Way Tag Team Scramble Match
The Vulture Squad (Jack Evans & Ruckus) defeat The Age Of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black) (w/Lacey) and The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) and The Hangmen Three (BJ Whitmer & Brent Albright) (9:17) Wild brawl, short, non-stop craziness

Crowd hot for everything too.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Be sure you get our mini episode Thursday 5/17 it's 45 minutes of us being goofy during the greatest ROH Title Match in history....
Captain Podcast
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I remember the show not being particularly good, but I thought Roddy vs. Aries saved it from being in the same category as shows like Escalation and Suffocation.

I, too, am curious to hear why you guys have nicknamed this show "The Dayton Funeral." Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the narrative at the time was that A Cut Above (and Roddy vs. Jerry Lynn in particular) "saved" Dayton and crowds were back up after that (even not counting the next show being Dragon's final show there). Then again, looking back at my own notes, A Cut Above wasn't a particularly great show, either, and the only recorded attendance for a Dayton show I can find on cagematch.net for a while after that is Allied Forces drawing only 375, which is really low for ROH, but things then climbing up steadily for ROH's visits after that.