ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
christopherclinton55

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by christopherclinton55 »

This is great however they really need to start building up more talent. I have a feeling kenny and the bucks may jump to wwe after January.
famicommander

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by famicommander »

I doubt Cody, Kenny, or the Bucks leave. They'll use WWE's interest to squeeze more money out of ROH/NJPW but ultimately they're not going to leave. The lighter travel schedule, the creative freedom, and the ability to promote their own shows like All In are things they just can't get from WWE.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am I doubt Cody, Kenny, or the Bucks leave. They'll use WWE's interest to squeeze more money out of ROH/NJPW but ultimately they're not going to leave. The lighter travel schedule, the creative freedom, and the ability to promote their own shows like All In are things they just can't get from WWE.
All of this. Especially with how helpful both ROH and NJPW have been with All In, leaving would be kind of a slap in the face.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
With the on sale date being in just a few weeks, the ticket pricing has to be decided shortly. We’ve talked with a few people who have knowledge of the ways the discussion has gone. This will be very different from All In, as tickets won’t be cheap. The actual pricing was not decided as of several days ago, but the idea of a $300 top price, with lots of seats at the price, and a $50 low price is probably close to how it will go down.

MSG will be set up for 15,000 fans. WWE usually sets up for 15,000 to 16,000, depending on stage size, always does well, but has only sold out once in more than six years, which was the October 3, 2015 show with Brock Lesnar’s first MSG match in more than a decade.

The way tickets are scaled, if this does sell out, or comes close, this would be the first non-WWE pro wrestling event ever held in the United States to ever top a $1 million gate. Even WCW never reached that figure for their biggest stadium events.

Because it is New York and MSG, and with NXT competition, it is incumbent to do an Omega vs. Okada IWGP title match, or something very close to that, as the main event. That becomes tricky because this show is likely one week after Sakura Genesis, which is one of New Japan’s biggest shows of the year, and would have an IWGP title match on top. If this sells out immediately, then they can proceed as usual. But as the Cow Palace showed, you’ll get your hardcore fans early, but for a non-WWE event in the New York market, to fill a building, I don’t know that you can announce the card a week or two beforehand.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Cool. The fact that Sakura Génesis is the week after isn't a problem. When the title was defended in the Hammerstein (WOTW 14), Styles won it from Okada the week before.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If they can score Jericho for this I'd be on board for Jericho vs. Naito II for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Then again with this ahow primarily being an ROH show, ny all means they should book a match that would be more beneficial for ROH to look good to close. Really the match that closes the show doesn't matter. People still bought the tickets and the PPV. If it sells out Cheeseburger vs. Ian Riccaboni could close the show and it would still have drawn.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Jericho has said on multiple ocasions that he is WWE exclusive in the US. That's why he turned down offers for both All In and G1 Specials. He may do whatever he wants, but he's loyal to Vince.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I don’t find it implausible that SBG is pissed enough to overpay Jericho to work the show. So far I’m impressed by the response to WWE’s monopolistic bullying attempts.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
ROH is trying to book C.M. Punk for the Madison Square Garden show on 4/6. We’re told the chances of this happening are slim as he’s told those close to him that he doesn’t have any interest in doing pro wrestling
Chris Jericho, who at first said that he would never work in the U.S. for anyone (and turned down New Japan’s Long Beach and Cow Palace shows), but WWE, has teased the idea he’d be interested in doing the MSG show. He’s also teased he’d be open to work for Impact. Don Callis, who was the brains behind the original Jericho vs. Omega idea, since he was friends with both, may open the door and Jericho did love their PPV this past weekend. Callis and Jericho talk all the time
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

supersonic wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 am I don’t find it implausible that SBG is pissed enough to overpay Jericho to work the show. So far I’m impressed by the response to WWE’s monopolistic bullying attempts.
Overpay Jericho? That's nonsense. Jericho is worth every penny. CM Punk on the other hand...fuck him.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:36 pm
supersonic wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 am I don’t find it implausible that SBG is pissed enough to overpay Jericho to work the show. So far I’m impressed by the response to WWE’s monopolistic bullying attempts.
Overpay Jericho? That's nonsense. Jericho is worth every penny. CM Punk on the other hand...fuck him.
I would question any "fan" of Ring of Honor who'd choose Jericho over Punk.

It's CM Punk. He's one of the few legends the promotion legitimately has and is also a much bigger draw than Jericho is even having been out of wrestling in so long.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 am
dhads7161 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:36 pm

It's CM Punk. He's one of the few legends the promotion legitimately has and is also a much bigger draw than Jericho is even having been out of wrestling in so long.
This. Announce CM Punk and you have an instant sold out.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Would be interesting booking, for sure. Assuming it would be a one off, the match to sell the most tickets is probably with Omega. Not sure it does much for ROH. If ROH is ready to push Marty to the moon and can still book Omega versus Okada or something else that would move tickets, I wonder if they (and Punk) would be more interested in "making" someone or just doing the dream match thing.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 am

I mean... Punk hasn't wrestled in well over four years. Five by the time of the show. Jericho, meanwhile, has been wrestling constantly at a high level. Also, getting someone who is on good terms with WWE to work for them is a bigger step than someone who is on very bad terms with WWE. I think there's an argument for choosing Jericho over Punk. Ideally, we'd get both, and I wouldn't turn down either one, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss Jericho out of hand.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Weren't HonorClub members supposed to get their pre-sale codes today?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

dhads7161 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 pm Weren't HonorClub members supposed to get their pre-sale codes today?
Today is the last day to suscribe to HC and get the codes. The pre-order it's on the 8th, so I understand that they will send us the codes between tomorrow and next Wednesday.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:13 pm
dhads7161 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 pm Weren't HonorClub members supposed to get their pre-sale codes today?
Today is the last day to suscribe to HC and get the codes. The pre-order it's on the 8th, so I understand that they will send us the codes between tomorrow and next Wednesday.
Alright thanks for clarifying.