ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Supercard of Honor XIII - NYC Metro Area (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by dhads7161 »

I wonder if part of ROH's motivation to get in with MSG was to use Hulu Theatre as the regular NYC venue in addition to running SCOH in the arena?
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

CSS: If MSG does not work, are there other things in place for a big show next year for ROH? Maybe not at that level, but a similar type of venue?

JK: We have every intention of being there that weekend. I’m not sure where. There are options and we’re exploring them.

CSS: Being in the New York/New Jersey area that weekend?

JK: I mean, if tradition holds true, we’ve been at every WrestleMania city in some fashion. We’ve been as far as 90 miles, 90 minutes or two hours away. And we had no problem selling out that building. There’s a lot of geographical space available for us to do our show. I think we’re just kind of weighing those options and seeing what’s best for the organization

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2018/6/28 ... issue-more

I think if they go to far outside of Manhattan or an area with simple transportation from Manhattan to New Jersey, it will be a big mistake.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

famicommander

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by famicommander »

So is this basically replacing both Supercard of Honor and a G1 USA show?
kovs27

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by kovs27 »

As someone who lives in New Jersey......I can't wait. This is going to be amazing.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, after looking at the flight prices and all of that, there's a big possibility of me travelling from Spain to watch this historic show live.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Should I make a group ticket inquiry? (I’d ask a small fee for each ticket that would then be donated to charity.)
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

A "G1" show in April? Call it something else.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This is really fucking cool. ROH and NJPW go right into the lion's den. Vince has to be displeased. I actually find this quite amusing.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

G1 named after Grade 1. So not bad as Big show's name.
Good thing is this is ROH & NJPW joint show.
If NJPW only, I thought CHARA EXPO will held there.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

supersonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm Should I make a group ticket inquiry? (I’d ask a small fee for each ticket that would then be donated to charity.)
No loss about making an enquiry Super, I just booked my flights and Hotel from England so I am certainly going, might even try for Wrestlemania tickets, but right now I can not give up the chance of this.

This really is something special whatever happens.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well after seeing prices and all of that, I can confirm that I'll be booking my flights in 10 days. Will go from Wednesday to Sunday, so I can watch this epic show live and see the city too (first time trip to the US for me). Btw, I don't have plans to go to WM, not my cup of tea and too much money for a show I know I wouldn't enjoy.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

ROH/NJPW will draw huge numbers for this but let's not act that the WrestleMania brand won't be a cause of those numbers. As much as WM can be a disappointment every year it is still WrestleMania week that brings the wrestling world together one week a year.

Now what I can't wait to find out is all the juicy details of how they were able to get the date back. Was it legal intervention from SBG? The allure of a broadcast show that MSG could get a huge cut from for the production? Possible Mark Cuban/AXS TV involvement? MSG just deciding to grow a pair of testicles?
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 am ROH/NJPW will draw huge numbers for this but let's not act that the WrestleMania brand won't be a cause of those numbers. As much as WM can be a disappointment every year it is still WrestleMania week that brings the wrestling world together one week a year.

Yes and no. Mania is the reason people are there on Sunday. They don't have to fly in a few days early, but they do for all of the other shows going on. And if ROH and NJPW can draw a very large proportion of that crowd to one show, that's a big step for them.

But you do raise an interesting question: If there were a Mania weekend-esque "festival" of wrestling with so many promotions together and in one place over several days but without WWE being around, do we think such a thing would still get so many fly-ins.
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 am
dhads7161 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 am ROH/NJPW will draw huge numbers for this but let's not act that the WrestleMania brand won't be a cause of those numbers. As much as WM can be a disappointment every year it is still WrestleMania week that brings the wrestling world together one week a year.

Yes and no. Mania is the reason people are there on Sunday. They don't have to fly in a few days early, but they do for all of the other shows going on. And if ROH and NJPW can draw a very large proportion of that crowd to one show, that's a big step for them.

But you do raise an interesting question: If there were a Mania weekend-esque "festival" of wrestling with so many promotions together and in one place over several days but without WWE being around, do we think such a thing would still get so many fly-ins.
ALL IN 2: EVERYONE IN
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Now what I can't wait to find out is all the juicy details of how they were able to get the date back. Was it legal intervention from SBG? The allure of a broadcast show that MSG could get a huge cut from for the production? Possible Mark Cuban/AXS TV involvement? MSG just deciding to grow a pair of testicles?
I didnt want to say that. I know the importance of WM, I was just saying that I am not interested. I wouldd go to this show if It was in another date. The main factor for me is the fact that is their biggest show and the Garden, the wm weekend isn't that big deal for me.
Big Red Machine

ICHIFUJI wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 pm G1 named after Grade 1. So not bad as Big show's name.
I disagree. Whatever the literal origin of the name, the phrase "G1" has become associated with a summertime tournament. To a show with "G1" in the name two weeks after winter ends is silly, especially when ROH already has a well-established traditional name for their WrestleMania weekend show.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 am
ICHIFUJI wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 pm G1 named after Grade 1. So not bad as Big show's name.
I disagree. Whatever the literal origin of the name, the phrase "G1" has become associated with a summertime tournament. To a show with "G1" in the name two weeks after winter ends is silly, especially when ROH already has a well-established traditional name for their WrestleMania weekend show.
Meh. It’s a name associated with New Japan that people recognize. Plus the World Tag League used to be the G1 Tag League. So it hasn’t always been JUST a summer thing.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Just a reminder: WWE and Barclays have not specified each date yet for next year's HOF and Takeover: Brooklyn V, just that one is Friday 4/5, the other Saturday 4/6. So there's a chance that G1 Supercard will not be competing against Takeover. Obviously though, the smarter bet would be that they end up doing so, as WWE would prefer fans to have to choose, rather than grant them the opportunity to attend both historic events.