ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by dhads7161 »

When Bully Ray made the challenge for his match
there was a emphasis put on the potential of a retired wrestler taking it.
Hear me out on this. Say one by one Coughlin, Connors, and Fredericks step up only to be beaten down. Bully sees Shibata at ringside starts mocking him for having shitty students and then starts mocking him for his career being over and that unlike him who came back despite being told to retire Shibata won't do shit besides train snot nosed young boys who won't be nothin'. Shibata gets in the ring ready to throw down. Bully obliges says, "Okada retired you, I'm going to cripple you! Ring the bell!" One kick to the dome followed by a PK, Shibata puts Bully away without breaking a sweat.
famicommander

Re: ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard @ MSG - Saturday 4/6/2019 (WM35 Weekend Info on Post 2)

Post by famicommander »

I hope Dragon Lee wins, only for Hiromu to interrupt his celebration for a staredown.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:37 am I hope Dragon Lee wins, only for Hiromu to interrupt his celebration for a staredown.
Yes!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Holy shit at New Japan parachuting in and putting almost all their major titles on the line like it's a Wrestle Kingdom show. Just an unreal card they put together.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's going to go over 4 hours
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

As a ROH fan, I wonder if it would have been better to book a good card with 50/50 contributions than a great NJPW super show where ROH is very much the little brother. From a reputation standpoint, it's hard to see how ROH will benefit, other than keeping open the option for another stadium show next year if NJPW doesn't jump to AEW. But as a wrestling fan, this card is close to a best case scenario.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 am As a ROH fan, I wonder if it would have been better to book a good card with 50/50 contributions than a great NJPW super show where ROH is very much the little brother. From a reputation standpoint, it's hard to see how ROH will benefit, other than keeping open the option for another stadium show next year if NJPW doesn't jump to AEW. But as a wrestling fan, this card is close to a best case scenario.
Some good points for sure, but I'm really starting to wonder now how much this will look like an ROH show. I haven't checked who is the one handling production, but I feel like we're going to see a show that's more in line with are now the US New Japan standards.

But I won't argue here about who here comes out looking like the better promotion. This show looks amazingly put together from both parties and is one of the coolest joint shows in history--a huge accomplishment from this partnership that feels really earned and uncontrovertably meaningful.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 am As a ROH fan, I wonder if it would have been better to book a good card with 50/50 contributions than a great NJPW super show where ROH is very much the little brother. From a reputation standpoint, it's hard to see how ROH will benefit, other than keeping open the option for another stadium show next year if NJPW doesn't jump to AEW. But as a wrestling fan, this card is close to a best case scenario.
The card is, indeed, a 50/50:

- 30 Man Honor Rumble (I assume it will be 50/50 NJ and ROH)
- 4 ROH Matches (WOH, Castle-Rush, Bully and World Title)
- 4 NJ Matches (IC, RPW, Heavyweight and Junior, which has a ROH talent)
- 2 ROH vs. NJPW matches (both Winner Take All)

So yeah, the card is exactly what they've been promoting, a join venture and a co-branded show. For me, this is a WK level card that should be amazing. Both NJPW and ROH proved how important MSG was for both.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think Cobb walks out of there with two titles.

Not sure about the tag titles match.

If GOD wins, Tama Tonga would join Taven and Romero as the third man to win a title in all three of ROH/NJPW/CMLL.

Can't see PCO and King walking out of there with three belts each.

Doubt they'd put the ROH belts on LIJ.

So to me, it's gotta be the Briscoes or GOD.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I think between the booking and hopefully the production roh and njpw is going to show their not just going to lay down for aew or anyone
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am

So yeah, the card is exactly what they've been promoting, a join venture and a co-branded show. For me, this is a WK level card that should be amazing. Both NJPW and ROH proved how important MSG was for both.
x2...would like to see better fits for haskins, williams, gresham and silas but you can have all solved.

is a great card, is amazing man...as a long time roh fan is a blessing to see this.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Judging by what NJPW twitter it isn't title vs title for Cobb and Ospreay it's just the never openweight title.

Personally I think ROH has been left in the dust considering what they could have delivered match wise, NJPW really didn't want a talent vs talent set up for whatever reason. For ROH to build this up as their biggest event of the year and deliver those matches is really rather poor on ROH's behalf.

Thankfully I'm a fan of NJPW to really enjoy this, I'll just hope that the Baltimore show makes up for what I'm missing here.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am

We'll see how it shakes out, but to me, the top four matches are clearly the IWGP HW, the ROH World, the IWGP IC and the RevPro. And on paper, there is nothing ROH could do to compete as far as "their" second and third standalone matches.

I think ROH (and arguably the super sized card as a whole) would have benefitted from the Rush/Castle match getting rolled into the IC or RevPro match and turned into a "dream partner" tag. Rush & Naito vs Castle & Ibushi or ZSJ & Rush vs Tanahashi & Castle.

And for the record, I fully recognize I am splitting hairs here. Just feels like we are headed down a road where if the show succeeds, the narrative is NJPW "carried" ROH. And if it underwhelms, ROH dragged the card down. Maybe it was always destined to be that way. I do think it will be interesting to see how the show looks from a presentation standpoint, this certainly "feels" like a big NJPW show in a way that I wasn't certain it would.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

That roh side is okay but imagine the prestige that ROH title could have added if they done Tanahashi vs Lethal at msg for the roh world and Marty Scurll vs Sabre Jr for the rev pro title. That would have been amazing. Not discounting this match lineup.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Off the top of my head, the only card I can think of that looked as sexy in advance would be the Manhattan Center debut across the street for Glory By Honor V Night 2. Would the White vs. Okada build and expected title change moment be on par creatively with KENTA going in as unbeaten singles challenger for Danielson?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

cobb vs ospreay is tittle vs tittle.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Tittle for tittle huh?

ROH only has a couple hands that are even anywhere near the same level as the top NJPW hands so of course NJPW is outshining ROH.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/becky_bayless/statu ... 11841?s=21
Seriously if I can give one piece of advice for those traveling to NYC/NJ for Mania week it would be DO NOT RENT A CAR! Our traffic is nearing LA-levels of blasphemy & legal street parking is incredibly scarce; you could end up spending more to park your car than for your hotel!