Which current WWE/NXT talent do you see returning to ROH first?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Which current WWE/NXT talent do you see returning to ROH first?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

After seeing Lio Rush pretty much get annihilated by Lars Sullivan on NXT, I began to wonder during the main event that featured 3 former ROH stars, who was going to return home first. Some I don't want back...

Lio Rush can job out on NXT for the rest of his life. After he no sold the piledriver off the ladder from Joey Janela in his last appearance on the indy scene, I can't stand this dipshit. However, his immaturity and backstage heat might make him a candidate.

Kyle O'Reilly is still great in the ring, but still can't work a promo for shit. Once Cole goes to the main roster, I think this is the guy that gets cut or asks for his release and returns to ROH.

Who do you think?
Big Red Machine

Re: Which current WWE/NXT talent do you see returning to ROH first?

Post by Big Red Machine »

Realistically, I see it as Lio, but he's also really the only one I see in danger of being cut.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Maybe I should amend this to include which talent do you want back?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Want back?

Roderick Strong, AJ Styles, Claudio Castognoli, Chris Hero, PAC, Bobby Fish, Adam Cole, Kevin Steen, Kyle O'Reilly, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, Tyler Black, War Machine, KENTA, Brian Kendrick, Rhino, the Hardys, Shelton Benjamin, Tommaso Ciampa...

And for NJPW, Karl Anderson and Shinsuke Nakamura.

Basically, in my opinion all of those guys are worse in WWE than they were before they got there/went back there. So wrestling as a whole would be better if they all left, even if they didn't all come back to ROH.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Oh please, most of those names are happy with their overall spot and income, while NJPW, ROH, and the indies are incredibly healthy.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't say anything about their happiness or income. I'm talking about what I want to see from an entertainment perspective. I'm telling you what would be most entertaining to me and better for the business in terms of the quality of wrestling available out there.

All other considerations aside, who puts on better matches and better promos:
ROH/NJPW/TNA/indie AJ Styles or WWE AJ Styles?
NJPW Shinsuke Nakamura or WWE Shinsuke Nakamura?
ECW/TNA/ROH Rhino or WWE Rhyno who can't even use his gore anymore because it makes Roman's spear look bad?
NJPW Karl Anderson or WWE Karl Anderson?
CMLL La Sombra or NXT Cien Almas?
ROH/indie El Generico or WWE Sami Zayn?
ROH/indie Kevin Steen or WWE Kevin Owens? Who liked Package Piledriver Everything or Kill Steen Kill anyway, right?
ROH Roderick Strong or NXT Roderick Strong?
indie Jon Moxley or WWE Dean Ambrose?

Because I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face that ANY of those guys are putting on better matches or promos in WWE than elsewhere.

Hell, when was the last time Jericho was even close to this entertaining? Mania vs HBK?

WWE's modus operandi is to sign great talent away from better promotions and immediately get to work taking away what makes them special.

They turn amazing talent into great talent, great talent into good talent, good talent into average talent, and average talent into stars.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Is there a single person on earth happier watching Cassius Ohno in NXT than Chris Hero tearing up the indies all over the place?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'd like to see Bobby Fish back. I always felt like he was the better end of ReDragon. After he cut those promos to set up his World Title match against Jay Briscoe several years back I was a believer. I don't think he is a candidate to be involved in a 5 star match but I do think in the right main event he could still shine.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 pm Is there a single person on earth happier watching Cassius Ohno in NXT than Chris Hero tearing up the indies all over the place?
I feel like Hero is never going to be allowed to ascend in NXT or the main roster. He's just going to be used to get other guys over.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm I'd like to see Bobby Fish back. I always felt like he was the better end of ReDragon. After he cut those promos to set up his World Title match against Jay Briscoe several years back I was a believer. I don't think he is a candidate to be involved in a 5 star match but I do think in the right main event he could still shine.
I agree with this a lot. I miss Bobby Fish in ROH. He could have a good match with anyone.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I really freaking miss Roddy Strong. Sure he wasn't the best promo guy but that man delivered week in, week out, and could realistically challenge for any title without it feeling forced.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm I really freaking miss Roddy Strong. Sure he wasn't the best promo guy but that man delivered week in, week out, and could realistically challenge for any title without it feeling forced.
Totally agree. I never got sick of watching Roddy. Dude just makes everything look effortless.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Even if Rush is cut, not sure I'd want him back. I view Flip Gordon as better than him in every single concievable fashion and he actually seems like a genuinely nice guy and not a turd like how Lio comes across.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Roddy and Fish/O'Reilly as a team top my list. It really was good for them to go, though. As much as the talent on the roster was great, the period of time after Steen left where almost everyone re-signed and stayed for a couple years really hurt the company and was evident in the creative funk and attendance dip in late 2016 after some left but the core remained. Guys got stale.

The great thing is if ANY of these guys return one day a big deal, fresh matches, etc...
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

People here have totally misread the Lars squash. That was Lio's write off before being renamed/repackaged.

I don't really see anyone returning. All the people who left ROH for NXT don't really regret and are used pretty well.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I agree Rush and O'Reily seem like the first to go. However, I don't see WWE giving up on them just yet. They really haven't been there that long. I think they'll try and mold O Reily more, before they just let him go. Rush just needs to stay out of trouble. I would think WWE knew what they were getting when signing these guys.

I know he wasn't in ROH, but Apollo Crews is probably on the chopping block. Could be Kenta after a short 205 stint.

My pick is going to be Mike Bennett. I don't know what the deal is, but they don't use him or his wife. Kind of surprised he's not down in NXT....although i haven't watched in a while.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mike has been recovering from a drug addiction and Maria is pregnant
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm Mike has been recovering from a drug addiction and Maria is pregnant
All the more reason to be released. I guess he could get demoted to NXT when he recovers, because i heard they were upset with him for demanding a main roster spot, when he wasn't able to produce a reaction. Really don't see creative having anything for him. He was basically an over hire, so other companies wouldn't have him.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Bennett is better off in WWE. His slow, boring style is better fit for WWE TV
Montana

Post by Montana »

King of Indy Style wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 pm Bennett is better off in WWE. His slow, boring style is better fit for WWE TV
I hear ya... I just thinking who do we expect to see return to ROH first. I don't see any direction for his career with WWE. He may not return to ROH though. Has to be released first, anyways.