The Breakout Star of 2018 in ROH will be...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thomas Bobo

The Breakout Star of 2018 in ROH will be...

Post by Thomas Bobo »

A lot of talents had opportunity in 2017. It seems more than ever, ROH is destined to slow build a lot of talent regardless of the resume they enter the company with. The Top Prospect Tournament has seen some great talents rise up yet 3 of the last 4 winners are either WWE-bound or in their system now. It's worth noting too, last years winner is the epitome of the slow-build approach or so it would seem.

All of those statements aside, I want to know and see if there is consensus on who to watch in 2018. They may be in ROH or they may show up (try to keep it realistic here). So, who you got?
AlexROH

Re: The Breakout Star of 2018 in ROH will be...

Post by AlexROH »

If he proves that he can have a big match, Punishment Martinez will be the man in 2018.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 am If he proves that he can have a big match, Punishment Martinez will be the man in 2018.
Who do you think the right opponent(s) would be him to do this with?

He is at the top of my list of contender's for this spot...however a lot depends on what means ROH would use to attempt to elevate him.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Depending on time given and direction I would go with either TK O'Ryan or Jonathan Gresham
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Probably Flip Gordon.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Thomas Bobo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 am
AlexROH wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 am If he proves that he can have a big match, Punishment Martinez will be the man in 2018.

He is at the top of my list of contender's for this spot...however a lot depends on what means ROH would use to attempt to elevate him.
Mmm, first of all he has to face Dalton Castle. If The Briscoes weren't focused on the tag division, I'd like to see a Martinez-Jay Briscoe feud. Maybe a feud with Silas, for the TV Title, would be cool too. I'd say his style is so good that he can work with anybody, he has had great matches with Martinez, Ospreay and Lethal.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 am Depending on time given and direction I would go with either TK O'Ryan or Jonathan Gresham
I'm with you on the latter for sure...would love to see him get a real shot.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:11 pm Probably Flip Gordon.
In terms of someone who has some good buzz behind them already and would likely elevate fast, I agree with this. I'd love to see ROH really get behind him in a way that is A LOT different than they did for Ospreay.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

AlexROH wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 am
Thomas Bobo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 am

Mmm, first of all he has to face Dalton Castle. If The Briscoes weren't focused on the tag division, I'd like to see a Martinez-Jay Briscoe feud. Maybe a feud with Silas, for the TV Title, would be cool too. I'd say his style is so good that he can work with anybody, he has had great matches with Martinez, Ospreay and Lethal.
A Martinez-Jay Briscoe feud would totally help in establishing him more and I think they would have the opportunity to have a diverse array of matches in line with that. Seeming that both are remaining heels, we may need to wait for the potential that this becomes a reality.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thomas Bobo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 am
In terms of someone who has some good buzz behind them already and would likely elevate fast, I agree with this. I'd love to see ROH really get behind him in a way that is A LOT different than they did for Ospreay.
Ospreay was almost never around. Why would ROH get behind him at the expense of their own guys?
Jimthy

Post by Jimthy »

I'm thinking either Flip Gordon, Punishment Martinez, or a big upward momentum year for Adam Page. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Page is the most likely, although I expect good years out of Gordon & Martinez as well.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 am
Thomas Bobo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 am
Ospreay was almost never around. Why would ROH get behind him at the expense of their own guys?
Flip (no pun intended) that idea around...if ROH had invested in Will in the limited dates they had him it could have been a bigger deal in terms of matches, feuds, etc. and (perhaps) bigger a bigger payoff $-wise. We'll never know now...
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Delerious got exactly what he wanted from Ospreay. Someone he could book in "dream" matches with no real direction. He didn't need direction though because he was considered an attraction.
And whomever said Page please don't get my hopes up like that.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

flip gordon
tk o'ryan
jon gresham
adam page
marty scurll (main event status)
Montana

Post by Montana »

For the current roster i think Flip and Adam Page will only trend up. I think the breakout star would very likely be someone not currently on the roster. Kind of like Marty or Cody last year, even though they debuted just prior.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Hopefully Simon Grimm gets a decent push. I think they're really high on Flip Gordon, but personally he doesn't do much for me outside of his amazing match with Ospreay. The Kingdom will probably have a big year, again though, they don't do much for me. Page should have a huge year.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH 5 COUNT: WRESTLERS TO WATCH IN 2018

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-5- ... watch-2018
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

... anybody not named Vinnie Marseglia.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I think Flip Gordon's the obvious choice as someone they should strap the proverbial rocket ship too. He's a better high flier than ACH and has more charisma, plus he doesn't have all the attitude issues ACH has and with his military background comes across very humble and professional.

I think if they can give Josh Woods a veteran to play off he will do well. He reminds me a lot of Kyle O'Reilly when Kyle took the whole faux-MMA gimmick really seriously, nobody wanted to see him, then they paired him with Fish, formed reDRagon and all of a sudden he was bouncing off Fish and they became fan favorites. He needs a Bobby Fish to play off and learn from.