Wrestling Omakase #25: ROH Year in Review w/ Joe Gagne & Sean Sedor

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Xias

Wrestling Omakase #25: ROH Year in Review w/ Joe Gagne & Sean Sedor

Post by Xias »

Hi guys,

I had posted on here a few months back when I did a podcast on retro ROH with JR Goldberg, and one of your forum posters Supersonic suggested I should post this week's episode on the board again. This time around we tried to cover ROH's 2017 as part of the year in review series we're doing (we previously did AJPW, WWE, DDT, and joshi promotions for anyone who might be interested; still have NJPW & BJW to come), with two excellent guests who both know a ton about current ROH: Joe Gagne, longtime fan and current viewer (plus a great podcast host in his own right) and Voices of Wrestling's ROH reviewer Sean Sedor. Both I think brought a ton of knowledge to the table here as we tried to take a critical but fair look at ROH's year, the roster changes, the underrated TV program, the PPVs, the Cody Rhodes reign, and more.

Plus we speculate on the future of the ROH/NJPW relationship, whether or not it matters if the BULLET CLUB are presented as heels or faces (and whether it's possible for anyone else on the roster to look "cool" going against them), give out awards for ROH's MVP, Best Major Show, and more, present top 5 lists for ROH Match of the Year, and finally dig into a mailbag of ROH questions from our Twitter followers (@wrestleomakase). Hope you enjoy!

https://audioboom.com/posts/6563483-wre ... sean-sedor
Wilson

Re: Wrestling Omakase #25: ROH Year in Review w/ Joe Gagne & Sean Sedor

Post by Wilson »

This was great! Loved hearing from Gagne again as well as from the encyclopedic ROHWorld alumnus Sean Sedor (DXvsNWO). Hope they both make more appearances.

To users and lurkers here, this is a great capitulation of the year. Fiercely recommend if you want that in your life.

On Cody: I do think you would see similar results from a motivated Ryback or Swagger or Ziggler. Being protected in heavyweight singles in New Japan and having a very prominent role in the Bullet Club would've made any of the guys mentioned, and I think the audience of Being the Elite is so hungry for rerouted WWE resources that they would've glommed to the attraction with as much aplomb. And none of this is to mention the star vacuum left after Cole, O'Reilly, Fish, Dijak, and Lee departed. Cody becoming champion was inevitable the moment his dates more became linear in ROH.

And thanks to supersonic for requesting this be reposted on this site.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I’m also tired of the WWE fanboy esque defense of this company. “It makes money, so who cares about pleasing the high expectation newsletter audience?” It’s yet to be proven if cleaning up the creative messiness, which was thoroughly highlighted in this podcast, would actually be a hindrance to drawing equal or more money. This is a point made years ago by Lance Storm too.

Yes, ROH’s audience now is definitely TNA 2005-12. Just like ROH’s audience from that period is now WWE, NJPW, UK indies, etc.

And good lord this roster has fuck-all for attention-grabbing acts that aren’t affiliated with WWE or NJPW. I’m really clamoring for a “homegrown star” that can develop the affinity and “stop what the fuck you’re doing and watch this guy’s work in ROH” word of mouth on par with Joe or McGuinness.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Thanks for posting!
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Just got around to listening to this yesterday. Very enjoyable.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Had a lot of fun recording this podcast! Kind of wish we could've done longer, because after we got done recording, I remember a number of things that I forgot to bring up (though I guess that's a good problem to have with podcasts).
Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:32 pm This was great! Loved hearing from Gagne again as well as from the encyclopedic ROHWorld alumnus Sean Sedor (DXvsNWO). Hope they both make more appearances.
Why call me an alumni? I'm still here! :lol: