All In - Chicago, IL - Saturday, September 1, 2018

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

All In - Chicago, IL - Saturday, September 1, 2018

Post by supersonic »

FACEBOOK GROUP

The stars of Being the Elite, including the Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, and Kenny Omega, are going for history in being the first non-WWE event since the War ended to draw an audience of at least 10,000 to one event on Labor Day weekend. The day before the historic "All In" event will also be the Starrcast convention.

In addition, AAW has booked 2 events. There are numerous non-wrestling activities to enjoy as well, including MLB home games in Chicago and as far north as Milwaukee.

The card:

Zero Hour Match
The Briscoes vs. Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky

ROH Title Shot Battle Royal (Zero Hour)
Confirmed: Moose, Colt Cabana, Rocky Romero, Jordynn Grace, Ethan Page, Brian Cage, Billy Gunn, Jimmy Jacobs, Marko Stunt

ROH Title Match
Jay Lethal vs. TBD

Madison Rayne vs. Tessa Blanchard vs. Britt Baker vs. Chelsea Green

Christopher Daniels vs. Stephen Amell

Hardcore Match
Joey Janela vs. Adam Page

NWA Title Match
Nick Aldis vs. Cody Rhodes

Marty Scurll vs. Kazuchika Okada

Fenix, Bandido, & Rey Mysterio, Jr. vs. Young Bucks & Kota Ibushi

Dream Match
Kenny Omega vs. Pentagon, Jr.

Confirmed talents for All In:
Best Friends
Matt Cross

Confirmed pro wrestling events:

Thursday, August 30
AAW Thursday Night @ 7:30PM
Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago, IL
To order tickets - https://aawpro.ticketleap.com/thursday-night/

Friday, August 31
AAW @ 7:30PM
Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago, IL
To order tickets - https://aawpro.ticketleap.com/august-31 ... _at_0730PM

Friday, August 31
Starrcast Convention
Location(s) TBD
For more info - https://www.starrcast.com/
For more info - https://twitter.com/ALL_IN_2018/status/ ... 9758492673

Saturday, September 1
All In (evening hours expected)
Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, IL
For more info - Twitter and Facebook

Home game series for the Cubs, White Sox, and Brewers falling within a 3-day window of All In

Cubs vs. New York Mets @ Wrigley Field
Monday, August 27 @ 7:05PM
Tuesday, August 28 @ 7:05PM
Wednesday, August 29 @ 1:20PM

White Sox vs. Boston Red Sox @ Guaranteed Rate Field
Thursday, August 30 @ 7:10PM
Friday, August 31 @ 7:10PM
Saturday, September 1 @ 6:10PM
Sunday, September 2 @ 1:10PM

White Sox vs. Detroit Tigers @ Guaranteed Rate Field
Monday, September 3 @ 1:10PM
Tuesday, September 4 @ 7:10PM
Wednesday, September 5 @ 7:10PM

Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs @ Miller Park
Monday, September 3 @ 1:10PM
Tuesday, September 4 @ 7:10PM
Wednesday, September 5 @ 7:10PM

Dining and tourism suggestions still to come
Last edited by supersonic on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:30 am, edited 44 times in total.
famicommander

Re: Cody/Bucks planning 10K seat venue show in 2018

Post by famicommander »

I'd do it in SoCal, where NJPW already drew two big crowds and the Bullet Club Invasion happened. Bring in some CMLL guys too for the latino crowd.

The entire Bullet Club, LIJ, Okada, Lethal, the Briscoes, Ultimo Guerrero, Rush, Dragon Lee, Jushin Thunder Liger, Dalton Castle, Tanahashi, Minoru Suzuki, Volador Jr. The biggest guns ROH, NJPW, and CMLL have to offer.

Add any potential big names we could see in 2018 (Danielson, PAC, Mysterio, Jericho, Aries, Richards, Pentagon and Fenix, Brian Cage) and I think you get your 10,000 person house.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I see London as a strong possibility. Marty said back in the WOTW UK Tour that they were planning a show at Wembley Arena. If PROGRESS is doing a show there, Bullet Club/ROH can and will draw a larger crowd.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I'd almost try to get Hot Topic to sponsor it as much as they can. Get some advertisements through them, they are in every mall in America or close to it. A poster in every store would be great, If you could purchase tickets and Hot Topics that would be a nice touch too, with some sort 25% off a BC shirt when purchased with a ticket or something. And also have it as a partnership supershow between ROH, New Japan and CMLL with some outside names like Jericho (if available), Danielson (if the event is after September), Aries and Neville (if he does leave the WWE). If I was ROH I'd attach my name to this and run it as Bullet Club Presents ... like if they do run later in 2018 and it's like October or something Bullet Club Presents Glory By Honor for example. 
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Just have Final Battle be this show, ya know? Get these big names to fill out an arena for ROH’s biggest show of the year.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'm more interested in someone rationalizing to me why ROH would let them all do the show sans ROH being part of it, or the primary promoter in fact, when every mention of it has noted ROH as their domestic employers so they can't legally work outside of ROH in the States without ROH's say so.

This is coming across like, "ROH may run a show alongside The Bucks and Cody" when I think the reality is their planning a show under the ROH banner centered around them.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Cody talked about this on Bully's Busted Open Radio and he talked great about ROH, their businness model and all of that. This is going to be more like a ROH/NJPW super show with Cody & The Bucks being the bookers.

Plus, maybe we cannot like his matches, but man, from an influential, economical, exposure and Impact standpoint, Cody has been the greatest businness man to ever carry that belt.

Imagine saying this all could have been done with Gabe's businness model/plan or with the estructure ROH had 10 years ago.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Thought just popped into my head, I know they have it down to a handful of select cities but the Xfinity Arena in Everett Washington holds 10,000 people if they can for sure get Daniel Bryan in September if he really is leaving once his contract is up I think they could sell that fucker out if they ran Cody (or whoever is ROH Champion at the time) vs D-Bry in the main event.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

In the Random Thoughts thread famicommander mentioned that there is no real downside to this, and I agree, except possibly for Cody if he keeps bringing up the 10,000 number and the show ends up falling far, far below that. The announcement of this show alone will generate anticipatory buzz for Cody, the Bucks, and ROH for the next year, if they choose to stave it off. While I think they can beat the current record of about 3,500, I don't see that many scenarios in which they can book the full 10,000 in the US without doing some screwball Daniel Bryan vs. Chris Jericho or CM Punk vs. Jerry Lawler type of billing. No non-WWE/WCW promotion has come close to that number, so Cody et al would have to put on something with an extremely broad appeal.

Anyway, this should make for a wild 2018.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:19 pm I'm more interested in someone rationalizing to me why ROH would let them all do the show sans ROH being part of it, or the primary promoter in fact, when every mention of it has noted ROH as their domestic employers so they can't legally work outside of ROH in the States without ROH's say so.
Probably because Cody Rhodes is to Joe Koff as what 1997 Shawn Michaels was to Vince McMahon.
AlexROH wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 pm Plus, maybe we cannot like his matches, but man, from an influential, economical, exposure and Impact standpoint, Cody has been the greatest businness man to ever carry that belt.

Imagine saying this all could have been done with Gabe's businness model/plan or with the estructure ROH had 10 years ago.
Well, Cody, the Bucks, and Sinclair are all pretty financially secure. They can manage risks like these, especially Cody, who was rich before his indie run, likely rich before his WWE run, too. However, Cody being the best "businessman" to hold the belt could very well be true. He's definitely the first champion who seems to have outsized the promotion, which is something only a person with his kind of established background could do.

Gabe's sense of business is as much myth-making as what was said about Paul Heyman in the 2000s. Gabe saw a place in the market for a workrate-focused promotion, successfully branded it as such to the business's smartest fans, and succeeded to host a touring promotion in a market that pretty much necessitated a TV presence. The promotion performed very well at the level at which it played.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 pm
AlexROH wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 pm Plus, maybe we cannot like his matches, but man, from an influential, economical, exposure and Impact standpoint, Cody has been the greatest businness man to ever carry that belt.

Well, Cody, the Bucks, and Sinclair are all pretty financially secure. They can manage risks like these, especially Cody, who was rich before his indie run, likely rich before his WWE run, too. However, Cody being the best "businessman" to hold the belt could very well be true. He's definitely the first champion who seems to have outsized the promotion, which is something only a person with his kind of established background could do.

Gabe's sense of business is as much myth-making as what was said about Paul Heyman in the 2000s. Gabe saw a place in the market for a workrate-focused promotion, successfully branded it as such to the business's smartest fans, and succeeded to host a touring promotion in a market that pretty much necessitated a TV presence. The promotion performed very well at the level at which it played.
Totally agree with the point about Gabe. My line was more about the thing I always say about the evolution of the product and the good decision ROH has done this past year investing in the Bullet Club and letting Cody and The Bucks to, as they always say, "play their music".

Cody is a big deal. "Greatest champion" in ROH's history business side, by far. Maybe he was rich before, but he told in an interview with Bully Ray at Busted Open Radio that 2017 has been the first year in his career that he has made an amout of money of seven digits.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Could you see them planning it for S. Series weekend in 2018? Perhaps actually head to head with S. Series? In LA.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WebConn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm Thought just popped into my head, I know they have it down to a handful of select cities but the Xfinity Arena in Everett Washington holds 10,000 people if they can for sure get Daniel Bryan in September if he really is leaving once his contract is up I think they could sell that fucker out if they ran Cody (or whoever is ROH Champion at the time) vs D-Bry in the main event.
It’s perfect for ROH.

Upsides for other parties:
Closer drive for those coming from BC
Decent public transportation connecting with Seattle

Downsides for other parties:
Everett is a shit hole and the venue is placed right in a spot which accentuates that
Unlike Seattle and directly surrounding suburbs, Everett is NOT a good central location for the metro area.
Those coming from Portland, Spokane, Yakima, etc. will already have enough fun getting through the metro area’s absolutely dog shit traffic if the event is in King or Pierce County. Now add an even longer, more irritating commute to the shit hole known as Everett.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Not dogging on this, but what is the upside to this?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm Not dogging on this, but what is the upside to this?
What's the upside to drawing the biggest crowd any promotion besides WWE has drawn since WCW died?

Really?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:35 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm Not dogging on this, but what is the upside to this?
What's the upside to drawing the biggest crowd any promotion besides WWE has drawn since WCW died?

Really?
You didn't have to be condescending. Just looking for feedback.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I imagine if they have Kenny, Danielson, Pac, Okada maybe more Naito considering how big his 2018 is looking then I can't see 10,000 being an issue especially if you add a stories to the main events and a under card that maybe ends rivalries etc again I don't know why 10,00 would be a problem.

The only factor everyside has to take in is the financial risk, if there is little for everyone involved then it's great, no one should come out poor or without a house because of this, wrestling isn't that important.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

If this show takes place during the final quarter of 2018 then I would say that makes for interesting timing given that the Young Bucks contracts expire at the end of 2018. If this show is a huge success this will only increase their leverage. This will also show even more that they can do things on their own, rather than needing to be tied down anywhere. ROH can still benefit from this event, but make no mistake about it this show would be more about elevating the status of the Bullet Club members than anything else. I don't expect all the parties who will be involved in this or the co-opted wrestling media members to bring up any of these points. These are the reasons why ROH has been making a dumb move by not doing a better job building new stars and recruiting more young talent they can groom for the future. Instead they're just riding this Bullet Club wave thinking it will last forever, much like WCW with the NWO.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think this is a great question to ask. Other than notoriety, what would be the point? More importantly, can such a show be profitable? There are some pretty big names who are being mentioned and I'm sure they aren't going to work for cheap. Can they even do this show without ROH involvement with the way their contracts are structured? This seems like a big step for ROH to do such a large show and their history under Sinclair doesn't seem to favor such risk taking.

I don't think Cody being so public about it before it being locked in was such a good idea. There is still a ton of things that can squash this plan.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

The upsides would include setting a new attendance record, appealing to a larger fanbase, creating buzz which would actually gain exposure from mainstream media, being the only non-WWE promotion with the ability to gather a large amount of people together for professionl wrestling, it could lead to bigger and better things after it and so much more.

I also want to point out that is quite well known that early January is when Sinclair sets ROH's budget allocation and contrary to what the sheets would tell you they have invested more in the promotion in the past two previous years. I recall a story in 2016 where Joe Koff brought Delirious, Adam Cole and The Briscoes to Sinclair's offices and had them speak about why they deserved more investment for Sinclair to apparently not give it to them, then a month later ROH debuted completely new production equipment, announced shows in Japan, did a tour of the UK and did seven more shows that year than the year previous, plus renewed contracts on several top talents.

Not to mention, Sinclair is on the verge of purchasing Tribune Media and if the Stadium deal is anything to go by, Stadium of course being co-owned by Sinclair, they still put ROH out there on pretty much any medium they are invovled with which I doubt will stop once they take over Tribune's stations and most importantly WGN America on cable.

2018 will be a huge year for ROH, regardless of Cody and The Bucks endevours.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Predictably, David Bixenspan provides a wide contextual surface and a clear-eyed account of how the show might unfurl. Quoted below is just the attempt to answer the what-if first generated months earlier on social media. Really recommend everyone to read Bix's full piece on Deadspin.

https://deadspin.com/cody-rhodes-is-pla ... socialflow
Indie shows are drawing bigger crowds than ever before and ROH drew 3,500 fans for this year’s WrestleMania weekend and is aiming higher for the 2018 show, so it’s easy to see why Rhodes and the Bucks are taking this shot. That said, it won’t be easy: No non-WWE pro wrestling promotion has drawn 10,000 fans in the United States since WCW closed in 2001. That mark has only been hit by a few promotions worldwide in that same period, primarily in Japan and Mexico, along with some one-off’s like the Ultimate Warrior’s 2008 retirement match in Barcelona. All Pro Wrestling’s recent cards at the old Cow Palace in San Francisco have drawn in the 2,500 to 3,000 range, as have the last couple iterations of Northeast Wrestling’s annual Wrestling Under the Stars event, all of which were built around main events with Rhodes and/or Rey Mysterio. Some European promotions have draw crowds in that range, as well, like Scotland’s Insane Championship Wrestling. The non-WWE/Mexico/Japan high-water mark in the last couple years appears to be the Fight Forever show from the Wrestling Superstar promotion in Santiago, Chile, which drew 7,000 fans in August 2016. Like the WrestleMania weekend 2017 ROH show, it was headlined by the Bucks and Matt and Jeff Hardy. England’s PROGRESS Wrestling will be running a show at Wembley Arena in London in a year, and as a destination promotion it should do well, but it’s hard to know right now exactly how well it will do. All of which is to say that the Rhodes/Young Bucks show amounts to a moonshot.

Lucha libre cards promoted in Spanish-language media can also draw in the low to mid four figure range, and have historically been the most consistently drawing U.S. indie shows. It’s not always easy to track them, though, as they’re often promoted entirely through traditional local media, escaping the attention of both English-speaking locals and even those who report on that scene online. “As we formulate a big four matches, there should definitely be a lucha presence involved,” Rhodes told Deadspin, though he added that he doesn’t want the show to be “about just bringing in random names” because “that would dilute my initial bet with Dave.” Depending on where the Rhodes/Bucks show is held, some kind of lucha presence, even if it’s just Mysterio, might be necessary to maximize and broaden the demographic appeal. But while Mysterio is a proven draw, he also charges probably the highest per-match rate of any independent wrestler, though lots of indie wrestlers will give big discounts to friends and fellow performers.