All In - Chicago, IL - Saturday, September 1, 2018

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WebConn

Re: Cody/Bucks planning 10K seat venue show in 2018

Post by WebConn »

supersonic wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 pm
WebConn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm Thought just popped into my head, I know they have it down to a handful of select cities but the Xfinity Arena in Everett Washington holds 10,000 people if they can for sure get Daniel Bryan in September if he really is leaving once his contract is up I think they could sell that fucker out if they ran Cody (or whoever is ROH Champion at the time) vs D-Bry in the main event.
It’s perfect for ROH.

Upsides for other parties:
Closer drive for those coming from BC
Decent public transportation connecting with Seattle

Downsides for other parties:
Everett is a shit hole and the venue is placed right in a spot which accentuates that
Unlike Seattle and directly surrounding suburbs, Everett is NOT a good central location for the metro area.
Those coming from Portland, Spokane, Yakima, etc. will already have enough fun getting through the metro area’s absolutely dog shit traffic if the event is in King or Pierce County. Now add an even longer, more irritating commute to the shit hole known as Everett.
The Xfinity Arena does suck, it really does. I was at that Raw they did at the Xfinity arena two years ago and there's no parking around the arena. Like its smack dap in the center of town and theres no where to park. and it's a fucking drive from Tacoma its past Seattle.

Its not the best located place but it's a 10,000 seat arena.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I don't think this does much for ROH unless it's booked like an actual ROH / NJPW super show with meaningful title matches that get time. Glory By Honor V Night 2 on steroids, where any special guests are ROH / NJPW style guys like Danielson, Aries, PAC etc. If they book random lucha guys against each other, a NWO-Bullet Club match, Mysterio vs RVD or whatever other random shit they think would draw as a one off, I would be skeptical of this show having any benefit to ROH.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Just proving it can be done is an end in itself, and a very worthy one at that.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WebConn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:06 pm
supersonic wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 pm
WebConn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm Thought just popped into my head, I know they have it down to a handful of select cities but the Xfinity Arena in Everett Washington holds 10,000 people if they can for sure get Daniel Bryan in September if he really is leaving once his contract is up I think they could sell that fucker out if they ran Cody (or whoever is ROH Champion at the time) vs D-Bry in the main event.
It’s perfect for ROH.

Upsides for other parties:
Closer drive for those coming from BC
Decent public transportation connecting with Seattle

Downsides for other parties:
Everett is a shit hole and the venue is placed right in a spot which accentuates that
Unlike Seattle and directly surrounding suburbs, Everett is NOT a good central location for the metro area.
Those coming from Portland, Spokane, Yakima, etc. will already have enough fun getting through the metro area’s absolutely dog shit traffic if the event is in King or Pierce County. Now add an even longer, more irritating commute to the shit hole known as Everett.
The Xfinity Arena does suck, it really does. I was at that Raw they did at the Xfinity arena two years ago and there's no parking around the arena. Like its smack dap in the center of town and theres no where to park. and it's a fucking drive from Tacoma its past Seattle.

Its not the best located place but it's a 10,000 seat arena.
Not to mention a venue called XFINITY Arena not having any WiFi.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Regarding the big show that the Young Bucks and Cody are working on putting together, the latest word is that the probable location will be either an arena in the Chicago area or an arena in Southern California. There are other places like London, Toronto and San Francisco that have been talked about, but based on recent discussions, they are now less likely. They are working on a few sponsors. On this week’s Being the Elite show, they showed the Young Bucks and Cody in Dallas at TGIF Headquarters being cooked a meal. While nothing was said, the reason they were there was for a meeting regarding sponsorships or being involved in some form with the show. The Young Bucks joked that they were at their favorite Japanese restaurant, because when they go to Tokyo, they often film segments at the TGIF there

Nothing is still official. My gut is if they had C.M. Punk and Kenny Omega in Chicago with a few New Japan guys, it’s the best bet to hit 10,000 anywhere, but that is still a ton of people for a modern show and as noted, it would be a gigantic success to even get close to that number. The one thing with Bryan Danielson is that there is still a chance WWE clears him, while the odds of Punk going to WWE at least next year is a whole lot slimmer. But Punk, if he wanted to be wrestling, would be wrestling, and he’s made no hints of being anywhere near it
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

This is the same weekend that both King of Trios and BOLA are usually held. I wonder if this will affect the available talent, or if those guys will just pick a different weekend this year.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So no Danielson then... contract expires on the 28th.

They'd better get the whole Bullet Club, Tanahashi, Naito, Okada, Liger, the Briscoes, Lethal, Daniels, and Dalton Castle at a minimum. Hopefully some CMLL guys and some other ROH/NJPW talent too like Ultimo Guerrero, Rush, Dragon Lee, Minoru Suzuki, Will Ospreay, Motor City Machine Guns, Best Friends, maybe Yuji Nagata or Togi Makabe...

CM Punk would obviously be a huge get, but probably pretty unlikely.
maxx_powerz

Re: Bullet Club’s All In - Saturday, September 1, 2018

Post by maxx_powerz »

I don't see how they do it without Punk tbh.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm I don't see how they do it without Punk tbh.
I think the New Japan crew (including Okada and Tanahashi) could sell 10,000. Jericho would probably help, too.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Anyone find it incredibly damning of WWE's lack of consistently drawing 10K+ for Raw/SmackDown TV if this best of ROH/NJPW/other indies crew actually sells out the building, considering the significantly less exposure this project will have on North American television?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm
maxx_powerz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm I don't see how they do it without Punk tbh.
I think the New Japan crew (including Okada and Tanahashi) could sell 10,000. Jericho would probably help, too.
I agree, if they are put in meaningful matches and not pointless exhibitions. I think Punk v Omega is more likely than Okada v Omega though, I think NJPW would prefer to profit from any marquee match they could offer than give it away for Cody and the Buck's benefit.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

supersonic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm Anyone find it incredibly damning of WWE's lack of consistently drawing 10K+ for Raw/SmackDown TV if this best of ROH/NJPW/other indies crew actually sells out the building, considering the significantly less exposure this project will have on North American television?
Not really. It's apples and oranges to me. If drawing 10k for as many shows as possible was the most profitable business model, then sure. But WWE is trying to pace themselves over 100 tv shows per year because for them the tv money is more important than live gates. Considering Cody's show is his attempt at a one off Indy WM to prove a point and the actual WM draws 60k plus every year, not sure WWE has anything to be embarrassed about.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:40 pm
I agree, if they are put in meaningful matches and not pointless exhibitions. I think Punk v Omega is more likely than Okada v Omega though, I think NJPW would prefer to profit from any marquee match they could offer than give it away for Cody and the Buck's benefit.
True, though New Japan might also see it as essentially a test run for trying to run a building this big on their own that they don't have to risk anything for. Maybe they won't do a singles match, but I could see them letting their big names wrestle in some sort of tag team match (something like Naito & Hiromu vs. Okada & Ospreay, with Tanahashi maybe teaming with Elgin or whoever to face Omega & someone else)
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am
True, though New Japan might also see it as essentially a test run for trying to run a building this big on their own that they don't have to risk anything for. Maybe they won't do a singles match, but I could see them letting their big names wrestle in some sort of tag team match (something like Naito & Hiromu vs. Okada & Ospreay, with Tanahashi maybe teaming with Elgin or whoever to face Omega & someone else)
I believe you are under selling how super of a card they will have to put together to draw 10k, but maybe I'm over selling. If what the Buck's (forget which one, probably Matt) said on Twitter about originally planning to face Candice & Joey are true, I am probably over selling. But to me, to draw three times what ROH has ever drawn and almost 3k more than TNA has, you have to book some kind (or two) of once in a decade type legit dream matches.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am

I believe you are under selling how super of a card they will have to put together to draw 10k, but maybe I'm over selling. If what the Buck's (forget which one, probably Matt) said on Twitter about originally planning to face Candice & Joey are true, I am probably over selling. But to me, to draw three times what ROH has ever drawn and almost 3k more than TNA has, you have to book some kind (or two) of once in a decade type legit dream matches.
I think the advantage they have in that is that the New Japan talent has been seen live and in person so rarely in that part of the country that I think even without a dram match, you'd get a sort of novelty factor helping out as well.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Oh, where do I buy my ticket?

/s