Official Survival Of The Fittest 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Official Survival Of The Fittest 2017 Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga »

PWG is just a thing that Super Dragon and Excalibur use to stay active in wrestling and hang around with their friends. In all honesty, its "momentum" that it apparently had a couple years ago has been slowly falling off and I think it will most likely continue to do so in the future. PWG isn't evolving with the times and we all know they can't because the difficulties of it are too much. But hey, so long as their selling out that 400 legion center, that's all Dragon wants anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of Joey Ryan but maybe this is something he needs to light a fire inside him. At the end of the day, wrestling everywhere on the indies is great, good going for being popular enough to always get booked, but working for ROH especially right now means more than wrestling anywhere else that isn't WWE in the States. He may have a Chuck Taylor reaction to it and will show a renewed passion for wrestling, hopefully taking it more serious, but if I have to sit through dick power spots and lollipops being shoved up guys asses as offense, I'll be alright with Ryan sticking to he indies where that's viewed as comedy.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm
maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm It would actually be a really good idea to do Champions versus All Stars during a NJPW tour considering how weak the undercard usually is for that show.
Speaking of Champions vs. All Stars, do you think we'll see another while the six-man belts are in play?
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that as an issue. Personally, I'd be all for trying a big long, seven-on-seven Champions vs. All-Stars match to see how it goes. It's definitely the sort of thing that could anchor a show during the G1. Champions vs. All-Stars is a good idea, but in order to really work, the pinfalls on the champions need to all lead to something, and that has never really happened under Delirious aside from the first one. Only the pinning of the world champion has been made to really matter.
Big Red Machine

SandsShifter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm
Has ROH ever done a classic Texas Death Match? That seems like it would fit nicely, besides being in Texas and all.
Charlie Haas vs. Jay Briscoe at The Nightmare Begins. It was not good.
Big Red Machine

I, too, am disappointed we're not getting a Glory By Honor this year. It has been one of ROH's biggest shows for most of its existence. They definitely could have condensed SOTF to two nights and made one of those nights GBH.
All-Star Extravaganza I'm not so heartbroken about not getting, but if they wanted to do one they easily could have billed one of the shows this weekend as ASE, too. The hallmark of ASE (until the last few years where they randomly decided to make it the big fall show and buried Glory By Honor by mushing it into Champions vs. All-Stars and making it a one-match show with no titles on the line) was outside talent, and between Kenny Omega, the CMLL guys, and the other random names they've go this weekend, any of these shows would have fit the bill (though obviously the show with the SOTF finals should have the SOTF name). If I had to guess, the Global Wars Chicago show was going to be one of these, but when they decided to bring a big New Japan crew in, they just gave it one of their official New Japan guys tour names.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Never understood why they revived the ASE "brand" for their big fall show and then let GBH fade into a glorified house show (or TV taping at least one year). Seems like it would have been better to just keep GBH as the big fall show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

vigilante club.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NEW MAIN EVENTFOR NIGHT 1 : The Addiction, Scorpio Sky and Flip Gordon vs. Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, and The Young Bucks
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Speaking of Stephen Amell, check out his Pro Wrestling Tees bio:

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Main event is 5-on-4 as Amell is on Team BC.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Stephen Amell is now on par with Andy Kaufman and Machine Gun Kelly in the celebrities putting their bodies on the line department.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

He went through a table and hit an Indytaker.

Amell 4 Final Battle
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Any results or feedback of the event?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 am PWG is just a thing that Super Dragon and Excalibur use to stay active in wrestling and hang around with their friends. In all honesty, its "momentum" that it apparently had a couple years ago has been slowly falling off and I think it will most likely continue to do so in the future.
This is eerily how I feel about Being the Elite in ROH these days. No one's going to talk about how bullshit Stephen Amell being in a main event match of a big show starring Kenny Omega is? ROH's main storytelling thrust is being dragged along by a week-to-week improv internet sketch show starring Jackson's best buddies. This is so weak.

Hope the undercard at least put on a good show.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am
Wilson wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm Speaking of Champions vs. All Stars, do you think we'll see another while the six-man belts are in play?
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that as an issue. Personally, I'd be all for trying a big long, seven-on-seven Champions vs. All-Stars match to see how it goes. It's definitely the sort of thing that could anchor a show during the G1. Champions vs. All-Stars is a good idea, but in order to really work, the pinfalls on the champions need to all lead to something, and that has never really happened under Delirious aside from the first one. Only the pinning of the world champion has been made to really matter.
I would like a seven-on-seven, also, but I understand that is a logistical nightmare, from starpower routing, to agenting, to matchtime. Delirious has no method of subtlized booking, so I haven't held out much breath on him using this type of match to its fullest storytelling potential (i.e. falls over champions should at least lead to something).

TYFDK mentioned that it could still be a four-on-four with a six-man title defense elsewhere in the night. As long as there is a good six-man challenger and that the match is being billed as at least a co-main event, I think that could work despite the obvious shortcoming of not being a real champion like the champions in the CvAS match.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 am Any results or feedback of the event?
Via f4wonline.com

Submitted by reader @TraePops

Going up against an NXT house show in the same city, ROH's Survival of the Fittest tournament kicked off in San Antonio last night. In the main event, Stephen Amell (the star of Arrow) teamed with Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes & The Young Bucks against The Addiction, Flip Gordon & Scorpio Sky.

- Cheeseburger defeated Jastin Taylor

This was the pre-show match. Cheeseburger won with a Shotei and a diving double stomp.

- Amell came out as the guest host for the show. The Addiction quickly interrupted him, but Cody defended his buddy. Amell took off his jacket to reveal an Arrow-inspired Bullet Club shirt.

The Addiction proposed changing the two scheduled tag matches (them vs. Omega & Cody and The Young Bucks vs. Flip Gordon & Scorpio Sky) to The Addiction, Gordon & Sky vs. Bullet Club. Cody accepted the proposal.

During both the opening and closing promo, Cody pointed out that ROH's show sold out while NXT's didn't.

- Silas Young defeated Josh Woods in a Survival of the Fittest first round match

- Shane Taylor defeated Beer City Bruiser in a Survival of the Fittest first round match

This was a very good "mean guy match." Taylor won with a punch.

- Punishment Martinez defeated Jay Lethal in a Survival of the Fittest first round match

Martinez hit his sit-out chokeslam to win. Marty Scurll, who is facing Lethal at Final Battle, came out during the match and offered Lethal his umbrella as a weapon. Lethal hit Scurll with it instead.

- The Kingdom (Matt Taven, Vinny Marseglia & TK O'Ryan) defeated Search and Destroy (Motor City Machine Guns & Jonathan Gresham)

Taven cradled Gresham for the pin after blocking a Shooting Star Press with his knees.

- Deonna Purrazzo defeated Britt Baker in a Women of Honor match

Purrazzo submitted her with a Fujiwara armbar.

- Rey Cometa & Esfinge defeated The Dawgs (Rhett Titus & Will Ferrara)

This was a wild match, with the crowd very into the CMLL guys. Esfinge pinned Ferrara with a lucha cradle.

- ROH World Television Champion Kenny King defeated Joey Ryan to retain his title

They had a typical Joey Ryan match before King retained with the Royal Flush.

- Dalton Castle defeated Marty Scurll

Castle hit the Bang-a-Rang to win.

- Bullet Club (Cody, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks & Stephen Amell) defeated The Addiction, Flip Gordon & Scorpio Sky

This match was five-on-four with Amell becoming an official participant in it. He did a lot, including a dive to the floor and being put through a table by Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian. He looked good for a non-wrestler.

Gordon stopped Daniels from using a chair, which led to a brawl. Gordon and Sky then abandoned The Addiction. The finish was a double Indytaker as Omega and Nick Jackson did the move to Kazarian and Matt Jackson and Amell hit it on Daniels.

Bullet Club did their usual post-match promo, referencing the NXT show in San Antonio. Omega said he and Cody were going back to the autograph table to sign for all of the fans who they couldn't get to earlier.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So so far, we have Punishment Martinez, Silas Young, and Shane Taylor...
Spoiler: show
Which is noteworthy, because they are facing Kenny King in a 4 Corner Survival at Final Battle for the TV Title.
Tonight, we have the possibility of having all 3 members of The Kingdom qualify, as well. We could also have Taven beat Burger, but have the other two members lose, thus allowing them to participate in a tag team match on Night 3. I can't imagine all of the Kingdom will lose, and I especially doubt Cheeseburger's pulling off an upset, so I feel Taven's the only one of the three winning.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

It's time to elevate Taven.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

GardenStateSaint wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm It's time to elevate Taven.
I said it earlier in the thread. Taven is my dark horse.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Wilson wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 am
The Dragon Saga wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 am PWG is just a thing that Super Dragon and Excalibur use to stay active in wrestling and hang around with their friends. In all honesty, its "momentum" that it apparently had a couple years ago has been slowly falling off and I think it will most likely continue to do so in the future.
This is eerily how I feel about Being the Elite in ROH these days. No one's going to talk about how bullshit Stephen Amell being in a main event match of a big show starring Kenny Omega is? ROH's main storytelling thrust is being dragged along by a week-to-week improv internet sketch show starring Jackson's best buddies. This is so weak.

Hope the undercard at least put on a good show.
ROH doesn’t take itself seriously anymore, so I’m content with it being a glorified vanity/vacation for the NJPW stars. NJPW has come closest to carrying the serious business torch held by ROH and NOAH during the 2000s.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ring of Honor Executive Greg Gilliend has issued a statement to PWInsider about FloSlam covering their Survival of the Fittest event in San Antonio, Texas last night.

He said: “It was brought to my attention that Floslam or Floslam representatives were fraudulently covering our San Antonio event yesterday, streaming video and posting photos to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This has created an illusion that we are somehow working with them. Ring of Honor are in no way affiliated with Floslam and their actions yesterday were unauthorized.“