Flip Gordon interview

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Flip Gordon interview

Post by AlexROH »

Hi! As many of you know, I write for a spanish wrestling website called Solowrestling.com. Next monday I'll be interviewing ROH's rising star Flip Gordon. If you have any questions, just write them here and I'll try to ask them all.

As always, I'll post the link with the interview and maybe, like I did with the Silas Young interview, I'll upload the full conversation as a podcast.
famicommander

Re: Flip Gordon interview

Post by famicommander »

How cool was it to pin Ultimo Guerrero at the CMLL Anniversary Show?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Does he think that his incredible match with Will Ospreay will help open the doors to bigger places, like PWG and New Japan?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

King of Indy Style wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:05 pm bigger places, like PWG
lol

That's the dream of everybody on the ROH and CMLL rosters. To one day compete in front of 320 marks in SoCal (I love PWG, by the way, and I get that you were mostly talking about NJPW, but your phrasing there is curious).
King of Indy Style

famicommander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm
lol

That's the dream of everybody on the ROH and CMLL rosters. To one day compete in front of 320 marks in SoCal (I love PWG, by the way, and I get that you were mostly talking about NJPW, but your phrasing there is curious).
That's a fair question. IDK, I'm a huge mark for PWG so I kinda put them on a pedestal over other indies, so this may just be my bias shining through, but PWG always had that "the best wrestle here" aura around them, and usually, if you work PWG, you can work anywhere. Kinda like Speedball Mike Bailey, he was relatively unknown in Canada, but after PWG brought him in, he started getting bookings in Japan and England. Or even the Euro guys, the Euro scene was hot in 2015, but when PWG brought Ospreay, Scurll, Tommy End and ZSJ in for the 2015 BOLA, that was when a lot of Americans took notice of the Euro scene. Again, that may just be me projecting my love for PWG and making them bigger than they really are.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

King of Indy Style wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm
lol

That's a fair question. IDK, I'm a huge mark for PWG so I kinda put them on a pedestal over other indies, so this may just be my bias shining through, but PWG always had that "the best wrestle here" aura around them, and usually, if you work PWG, you can work anywhere. Kinda like Speedball Mike Bailey, he was relatively unknown in Canada, but after PWG brought him in, he started getting bookings in Japan and England. Or even the Euro guys, the Euro scene was hot in 2015, but when PWG brought Ospreay, Scurll, Tommy End and ZSJ in for the 2015 BOLA, that was when a lot of Americans took notice of the Euro scene. Again, that may just be me projecting my love for PWG and making them bigger than they really are.
The Euro guys were so over before wrestling in PWG. I mean, most of them had international dream matches with people from USA/Japan in RPW, PROGRESS or wXw.
King of Indy Style

AlexROH wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm
King of Indy Style wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm

lol

The Euro guys were so over before wrestling in PWG. I mean, most of them had international dream matches with people from USA/Japan in RPW, PROGRESS or wXw.
That's true, but those were also dream matches that were taking place in Europe. And back then, promotions like PROGRESS, wXw or RPW weren't well known by a large population of American Wrestling Fans. It was PWG bringing in those guys, and showing off their skill in great matches, that lead to Americans wanting to see more of those guys, finding PROGRESS, wXw, and RPW, leading to the Euro scene getting the traction it did.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Who is your ultimate dream opponent that is currently wrestling? Who, alive or dead, that is no longer wrestling would have been your dream opponent?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Hey! I did the inteview a few hours ago and I was able to ask all the questions you posted here! Here you have the text:

- Orginal: https://www.solowrestling.com/new/65365 ... -deportivo

- Translated (via Google Translate): https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Hope everyone likes it!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Good interview Alex. Thank you for sharing.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Here you have a little part of the interview too (audio in english). He talks about in this part about being backstage with the Bullet Club, the influence of Being the Elite in his career and his personal experience with The Crash and CMLL in Mexico;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... _BiS_Z9QJo
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Great stuff Alex.