FloSports Files Lawsuit Against WWN

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

FloSports Files Lawsuit Against WWN

Post by Wilson »

To focus the discussion of the events that started late last week, and to further communicate as this story develops, let this be the thread to talk about FloSlam, WWN, Gabe Sapolsky, and whatever ensuing parties.

On Friday September 22nd, FloSlam's intentions to file a lawsuit against WWN became public. This lawsuit seeks for recuperated damages up to 1 million dollars for false production of data. Reportedly, WWN suggested their Evolve iPPVs to sell through at about 5,000 buys (before dealing with the new hosting service provided by FloSlam) which, FloSports/FloSlam now believing to be dubious, are being requested to show evidence or proof of. WWN states that these records are no longer available. WWN is now also seeking to countersue for defamation. See David Bixenspan's report: https://www.fightful.com/flosports-sues ... rds-during

Later on Friday, FloSlam pulled WWN programming from their lineup, which included that night's EVOLVE 92 and Saturday's EVOLVE 93 shows. After a brief delay, refunds were eventually offered at a pro-rated basis. EVOLVE 92 and 93 were streamed by WWNLive only at a discounted rate upon proof of existing or prior FloSlam account. Sean Radican's report: https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2017/09/22 ... -analysis/

An email written before the EVOLVE 92 show was leaked over the weekend. Said letter heavily implicates the needs to adjust tone so as to fit WWE production. Again, reporting from Bixenspan at Fightful: https://www.fightful.com/booker-gabe-sa ... bad-habits

Today, Aaron Bentley at Voices of Wrestling cites Sapolsky's demands to reveal the identity of the leaker, otherwise there would be releases performed "at random." http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... in-future/
famicommander

Re: FloSports Files Lawsuit Against WWN

Post by famicommander »

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the end result of this will be everybody that is part of WWN, either in front of or behind the cameras, whom WWE isn't interested in getting screwed over pretty hard. They will probably scoop up Gabe and a few select talents and the rest of it will just die.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:53 pm I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the end result of this will be everybody that is part of WWN, either in front of or behind the cameras, whom WWE isn't interested in getting screwed over pretty hard. They will probably scoop up Gabe and a few select talents and the rest of it will just die.
I'm not so sure if Evolve is going to close within the next twelve months. Maybe the exit of FloSlam leads to a change in business model where Evolve travels less and becomes more of an actual indie so it can be sustainable. I also hope most of the talent can get away without the harm of this management disaster, because that roster is so good and fresh. Based on that correspondence between Gabe and Aaron Bentley alone I would say that Gabe should never be placed in a management position again, not even speaking of the fraud allegations.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If Gabe leaves I don't see how they continue.

Even if he stays, I don't see how they will be able to run and monetize enough shows to keep it above water without Floslam.

As I see it, it's either WWE bails them out or WWNLive as a whole dies.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

But ... EVOLVE ran for years without FloSlam. The way I've read into it was WWN was doing OK, then some money mark threw a giant pile of money at them, which they didn't bother investing it anything. So why wouldn't they just go back to doing business like they did before FloSlam? Are there stories out there about FloSlam bailing WWN out that I don't know about?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

It's funny all of this starts after the back and forth I had last week with another user here.

I'm not following this, and I don't care to. I fully expect FloSlam to win this. In fact, I want them to. They are for me, the lesser of two irrelevant evils.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

From the other thread:
King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 am My thoughts exactly. Gabe's nothing more than a conman that threw independent wrestling under the bus if it meant he could get his lips onto HHH's asscheek. Gabe's nothing more than a sellout.
I don't see how he's a sellout. He is advising wrestlers to do something that WWE would like done but he doesn't care if it happens or not. It's not like he is going against something he believes in for the money. And even if you do see him as a sellout, I think is characterization is very unfair. Even if you think he "threw indy wrestling under the bus," I think it's much more likely that he did it so he could get WWE's money to help him book and promote his promotion the way he wants to promote it than because he has some goal of being BFFs with Hunter and working in WWE.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:38 pm But ... EVOLVE ran for years without FloSlam. The way I've read into it was WWN was doing OK, then some money mark threw a giant pile of money at them, which they didn't bother investing it anything. So why wouldn't they just go back to doing business like they did before FloSlam? Are there stories out there about FloSlam bailing WWN out that I don't know about?
Exactly. The only thing I can think of would be if they used expected income from FloSlam to sign talents to major deals which they will now be unable to pay.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm
maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:38 pm But ... EVOLVE ran for years without FloSlam. The way I've read into it was WWN was doing OK, then some money mark threw a giant pile of money at them, which they didn't bother investing it anything. So why wouldn't they just go back to doing business like they did before FloSlam? Are there stories out there about FloSlam bailing WWN out that I don't know about?
Exactly. The only thing I can think of would be if they used expected income from FloSlam to sign talents to major deals which they will now be unable to pay.
This is what I was thinking, along with general skepticism that they have the million dollars lying around to pay for this lawsuit if they lose.

And I feel like this will lose them some fans, especially if Gabe does leave.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that a portion of the income generated from FloSlam went into payments prior last fall's deal. Evolve had a number of lean years which must have never made money. Add to that the China tour, the financial trouble of DGUSA, the inertia of SHINE and FIP, and what's left is a history that must record more losses than gains. To be clear, I don't think any outside interest should or will hire Gabe as a consultant (unless under heavy wraps). I don't see an Evolve without Gabe, for better or for worse.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 pm It's funny all of this starts after the back and forth I had last week with another user here.

I'm not following this, and I don't care to. I fully expect FloSlam to win this. In fact, I want them to. They are for me, the lesser of two irrelevant evils.
Hi, Other User here. I still pretty much stand by what I said earlier. Evolve is a promotion that has obvious weaknesses as well as strengths, the latter of which does find an audience. There wouldn't be so much backlash to this story if there wasn't anyone at least interested in Evolve or Gabe. If the size of the promotion is less than one would expect when compared another owned by the largest broadcast media company in the world, then yes they're guilty of that. Evolve is an indie, and FloSports never acted much to change that.

FloSlam is definitely the lesser evil here. Gabe/Sal/whatever snakeoil management did deliberate harm and should pay the repercussions. And Gabe should also take a social capital loss for being an even bigger media/communications goofus than The Mooch.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

so uhh

https://www.floslam.tv/articles/5057489 ... brary-list

Floslam put all the Evolve shows up for free
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

That is brilliant.

This'll probably be the most anyone will ever watch EVOLVE, to be fair.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Actually it's all of the WWNLive stuff they have, watching Shine 1 right now
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

FloSports is obviously sweating WWN's impending and very real "countersuit," by the looks of things. Amused beyond belief by this pettiness and sniping. "Give us the business records and maaaybe you can have your precious vinyl collection back."
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm so uhh

What makes you think they're free?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Because I was able to watch them and I don't even have a Floslam account, much less an active subscription.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

:lol:
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Apparently, the leaker is, to my knowledge, a totally outside party--Chip Day, a southeast indie worker.

Timeline, as recalled by Big Stoke: https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/sta ... 8235549696
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:54 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Because I was able to watch them and I don't even have a Floslam account, much less an active subscription.
Maybe it's something with my Flashplayer. It's been finicky at times, and I actually do have a FloSlam account.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:28 pm Apparently, the leaker is, to my knowledge, a totally outside party--Chip Day, a southeast indie worker.

Timeline, as recalled by Big Stoke: https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/sta ... 8235549696
I'm pretty sure he's worked for WWN before. Maybe in a Style Battle or an FIP?