So....will Richards hold the title until Final Battle?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
fm20000

Re: So....will Richards hold the title until Final Battle?

Post by fm20000 »

Tree wrote:
fm20000 wrote:
Tree wrote:i'm going to call swerve, and say someone other than Steen pins Davey for the title.
Please no. I'm so tired of ROH putting the belt on someone other than who deserves it at the time. It makes for a great moment like Eddie's win but in the end it just detracts from when the main guy finally gets the belt like Tyler and Davey.
what's exactly does the phrase "deserving" mean, in regards to a title belt? when someone wins a championship, one of two things needs to happen - either the belt elevates the wrestler, or the wrestler elevates the belt, and i'm not sure either of those happen if Steen wins - he's the most over wrestler in the company - he doesn't need the strap right now.
Because when someone is the most over guy in the company and a main event character he deserves to have the belt. Having Davey hold the belt too long or having someone else win it before Steen makes him look bad. Everyone knew Tyler Black was winning the belt but ROH kept dragging it out and making him lose to Nigel. Then Lynn won it before him and Aries did too. So by the time he finally did win the belt people stopped caring and that's why they turned on him. And I think it's the same case with Davey. He lost to Tyler and lost to Roddy with Eddie winning the belt before him. So by the time Davey finally won the belt no one cared as much as they would have a year ago. ROH CAN NOT do this again with Steen and kill his momentum. Let him win the belt while he's hot and hasn't looked bad against Davey or other people.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

In today's newswire it was announced Davey will not be defending the title in April, being in two Proving Ground Matches against Rhyno and Cole respectively, and a meaningless tag team match, I REALLY hope, Davey will be Champt at least until FB, there are just so many awesome title defenses I wanna see:
vs Cole
vs O'Reilly
vs Jay Briscoe
vs TJP
vs Kenny King
vs Shelton
vs Jacobs
Rematch vs Elgin
vs Steen
and if possible against outside talents (KENTA, Marufuji, Nakajima, Morishima, etc.)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Heyzel

Post by Heyzel »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:In today's newswire it was announced Davey will not be defending the title in April, being in two Proving Ground Matches against Rhyno and Cole respectively, and a meaningless tag team match, I REALLY hope, Davey will be Champt at least until FB, there are just so many awesome title defenses I wanna see:
vs Cole
vs O'Reilly
vs Jay Briscoe
vs TJP
vs Kenny King
vs Shelton
vs Jacobs
Rematch vs Elgin
vs Steen
and if possible against outside talents (KENTA, Marufuji, Nakajima, Morishima, etc.)
agreed I think jay briscoe needs a shot at the belt along with a rematch with o reilly
projectf40

Post by projectf40 »

I want to see Davey and Steen trade the belt back and forth I don't understand why the ROH is not allowed to be won, lost and regained by anybody EVER.
projectf40

Post by projectf40 »

I definitley need to see Davey vs. Shelton for the world title though they might **** around and have a five star match.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

projectf40 wrote:I want to see Davey and Steen trade the belt back and forth I don't understand why the ROH is not allowed to be won, lost and regained by anybody EVER.
Because in ROH winning the World title actually means sth, in contrast to other sports entertainment shit companies!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Tree

Post by Tree »

fm20000 wrote: Because when someone is the most over guy in the company and a main event character he deserves to have the belt. Having Davey hold the belt too long or having someone else win it before Steen makes him look bad. Everyone knew Tyler Black was winning the belt but ROH kept dragging it out and making him lose to Nigel. Then Lynn won it before him and Aries did too. So by the time he finally did win the belt people stopped caring and that's why they turned on him. And I think it's the same case with Davey. He lost to Tyler and lost to Roddy with Eddie winning the belt before him. So by the time Davey finally won the belt no one cared as much as they would have a year ago. ROH CAN NOT do this again with Steen and kill his momentum. Let him win the belt while he's hot and hasn't looked bad against Davey or other people.
1. Define "holding the belt too long". Anyone who saw Davey's match against Elgin in Florida will likely agree that Davey has plenty of fuel in the tank, and makes for a very strong champion.

2. The Tyler Black situation is extreme and the exception. there was a major booking change in the middle of his run. i also think that if they put the belt on him when the fans were clamoring for it, it would have been too soon - the guy has ONE break out match, and suddenly he was the company's savior. he needed more seasoning at the time.
Hammond Eggar

Post by Hammond Eggar »

No.

He loses to Steen at Border Wars.