Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Wilson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 am

Big Red Machine wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 am
TowerOfDoom wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm
Predicting Castle and Lethal in the finals with Castle winning
This makes the most sense to me as well.
I like that, too. Maybe Dalton also revenges his loss against Daniels during the tournament?

maxx_powerz
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by maxx_powerz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:04 pm

I think Castle over Silas would be better. You can do Castle over Lethal in the semis without "wasting" Cody's loss on a made guy (Lethal or Daniels) or on the guy already getting the rub from winning the tournament (Castle). Would help keep (or regain, depending on how Global Wars goes) Silas' momentum to pick up two wins (especially one over the World champ) and cement him as an upper midcarder imo. Plus, I'm a sucker for old rivals restarting a fued as they move up the card, so the idea of polar opposites Castle and Silas being frequent thorns in one another's side is a bonus.

maxx_powerz
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by maxx_powerz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:07 pm

If they do have Castle beat Cody here though, I think i'd prefer it be in the finals, tbh. Put it in the main event, make it feel like a big deal.

monster mafia
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by monster mafia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

first round match

Image

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by AlexROH » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:46 am

This match looks awesome! So the final match will be Silas vs ¿? Jay Briscoe? Kazarian?

BurningHammer
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by BurningHammer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.

famicommander
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by famicommander » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm

BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.
They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.

maxx_powerz
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by maxx_powerz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

They are building Lethal up again now too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lethal get the Final Battle shot with Cody ducking Castle until SCOH.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 pm

maxx_powerz wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm
They are building Lethal up again now too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lethal get the Final Battle shot with Cody ducking Castle until SCOH.
I hope this doesn't happen. Lethal vs. Cody feels a little too played out this year to main event Final Battle, and SCOH is WAY too long to wait to give Dalton his title shot, especially considering that they've already brought him back and done an angle with Cody. That being said, I have an unfortunate suspicion that you might be right because Final Battle would be one year since the first Lethal vs. Cody match and Supercard of Honor would be one year since Dalton's last title shot, and Delirious seems to like waiting f*cking forever before doing rematches (see: Lethal vs. Briscoe).

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm

famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.
They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
It would be nice but it would need New Japan's okay, and my guess would be that New Japan is going to keep that one for themselves.

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by AlexROH » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Big Red Machine wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm
famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.
They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
It would be nice but it would need New Japan's okay, and my guess would be that New Japan is going to keep that one for themselves.
Well, Omega vs Cole was the original plan for WOTW New York, so I don't think that NJ has a problem with ROH doing a big BC story in the US. I mean, Cody vs Omega would be a bigger deal on US soil than it would be on Japan.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:57 pm

AlexROH wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm
Big Red Machine wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm
famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm


They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
It would be nice but it would need New Japan's okay, and my guess would be that New Japan is going to keep that one for themselves.
Well, Omega vs Cole was the original plan for WOTW New York, so I don't think that NJ has a problem with ROH doing a big BC story in the US. I mean, Cody vs Omega would be a bigger deal on US soil than it would be on Japan.
The difference is that Omega vs. Cole was entirely an ROH construction, while Omega vs. Cody has been a New Japan thing. I think that if they do it in the US, they do it on a New Japan show, not an ROH show.

BurningHammer
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by BurningHammer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm

famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.
They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
Yeah I guess it will be interesting to see where they go with that side of things, It did just resurface again on Being the Elite so it's certainly possible and with the Florida shows coming up with Kenny Omega involved, It will be interesting to see if they start teasing it all, especially live for the fans, on those shows.

I would like to see Cody and Flip do something for a bit especially if Flip could get a couple of big wins in different match environments.

I can see the Bullet Club breaking up soon, they are getting so hot and people are getting behind all members that if their is a turn it will help everyone involved. I do really like the idea of Page being the one to do it first it would set him up for long time as a heel in ROH.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am

BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm
famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
I like the match but man I would have had Flip go a bit further than match one.

I would certainly have Dalton winning it all, deffinitely have him against Cody, I can see a win by DQ but from Cody beating the proverbial out of Castle with a chair. I think Castle needs that sort emotion behind his matches and getting the win from that possition especially against Lethal would be a big way to getting him on that run to the title.

I am wondering if Castle wins at Final Battle though, where will Cody go after that would it be better maybe for Lethal to cost Castle the win at Final Battle. It will be interesting to see who Cody goes up against if he does loose.
They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
Yeah I guess it will be interesting to see where they go with that side of things, It did just resurface again on Being the Elite so it's certainly possible and with the Florida shows coming up with Kenny Omega involved, It will be interesting to see if they start teasing it all, especially live for the fans, on those shows.

I would like to see Cody and Flip do something for a bit especially if Flip could get a couple of big wins in different match environments.

I can see the Bullet Club breaking up soon, they are getting so hot and people are getting behind all members that if their is a turn it will help everyone involved. I do really like the idea of Page being the one to do it first it would set him up for long time as a heel in ROH.
I've always assumed that the entire existence of "The Elite" was Omega and the Bucks coming up with a way out of Bullet
Club if they ever felt it was necessary.

BurningHammer
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by BurningHammer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am

Big Red Machine wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm
famicommander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm


They've teased a Bullet Club internal feud. Cody Rhodes vs Kenny Omega is probably the biggest match you could do outside of WWE right now. Maybe they build that for Supercard of Honor.
Yeah I guess it will be interesting to see where they go with that side of things, It did just resurface again on Being the Elite so it's certainly possible and with the Florida shows coming up with Kenny Omega involved, It will be interesting to see if they start teasing it all, especially live for the fans, on those shows.

I would like to see Cody and Flip do something for a bit especially if Flip could get a couple of big wins in different match environments.

I can see the Bullet Club breaking up soon, they are getting so hot and people are getting behind all members that if their is a turn it will help everyone involved. I do really like the idea of Page being the one to do it first it would set him up for long time as a heel in ROH.
I've always assumed that the entire existence of "The Elite" was Omega and the Bucks coming up with a way out of Bullet
Club if they ever felt it was necessary.
Yeah I think at the end of it all it certainly is, It is interesting how the Elit has somewhat taken a back seat recently to Bullet Club as a whole, now that Kenny is taking more ROH bookings like I said previously if they will push the whole problem of the Elite within the Bullet Club.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am

BurningHammer wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am
Big Red Machine wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am
BurningHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm


Yeah I guess it will be interesting to see where they go with that side of things, It did just resurface again on Being the Elite so it's certainly possible and with the Florida shows coming up with Kenny Omega involved, It will be interesting to see if they start teasing it all, especially live for the fans, on those shows.

I would like to see Cody and Flip do something for a bit especially if Flip could get a couple of big wins in different match environments.

I can see the Bullet Club breaking up soon, they are getting so hot and people are getting behind all members that if their is a turn it will help everyone involved. I do really like the idea of Page being the one to do it first it would set him up for long time as a heel in ROH.
I've always assumed that the entire existence of "The Elite" was Omega and the Bucks coming up with a way out of Bullet
Club if they ever felt it was necessary.
Yeah I think at the end of it all it certainly is, It is interesting how the Elit has somewhat taken a back seat recently to Bullet Club as a whole, now that Kenny is taking more ROH bookings like I said previously if they will push the whole problem of the Elite within the Bullet Club.
You'd think that would be the endgame, and stuff that happened in New Japan over the summer seemed to confirm that this would be the case, but I'm pretty sure Tama Tonga said that his rant on Omega during their G1 match was something he and Kenny came up with and Gedo had no idea it was going to happen.

BurningHammer
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by BurningHammer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Big Red Machine wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am
BurningHammer wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am
Big Red Machine wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am

I've always assumed that the entire existence of "The Elite" was Omega and the Bucks coming up with a way out of Bullet
Club if they ever felt it was necessary.
Yeah I think at the end of it all it certainly is, It is interesting how the Elit has somewhat taken a back seat recently to Bullet Club as a whole, now that Kenny is taking more ROH bookings like I said previously if they will push the whole problem of the Elite within the Bullet Club.
You'd think that would be the endgame, and stuff that happened in New Japan over the summer seemed to confirm that this would be the case, but I'm pretty sure Tama Tonga said that his rant on Omega during their G1 match was something he and Kenny came up with and Gedo had no idea it was going to happen.
I didn't know about the Tama situtation I wonder how that went down, I can see why though that they would be pushing with GOD and Falle being pissed both in real world and wrestling world, especially after the Cease and Desist. Brining it out in to the open could really help when the Bullet Club breaks away to something else. Either way everyone has become established stars because of it and it should help everyone in their future because fans will have certain favourites now and they still likely stay on board thoughout their careers.

maxx_powerz
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by maxx_powerz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 am

Big Red Machine wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 pm
maxx_powerz wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm
They are building Lethal up again now too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lethal get the Final Battle shot with Cody ducking Castle until SCOH.
I hope this doesn't happen. Lethal vs. Cody feels a little too played out this year to main event Final Battle, and SCOH is WAY too long to wait to give Dalton his title shot, especially considering that they've already brought him back and done an angle with Cody. That being said, I have an unfortunate suspicion that you might be right because Final Battle would be one year since the first Lethal vs. Cody match and Supercard of Honor would be one year since Dalton's last title shot, and Delirious seems to like waiting f*cking forever before doing rematches (see: Lethal vs. Briscoe).
In the past, when SBG has really wanted to push SCOH, they tend to run "filler" Final Battle main events imo. I'm glad we got it, but the Generico one off ladder match in 2012 (and then the Lethal rematch at the anniversary show to a lesser extent) to drag Steen's reign out comes to mind. Running the Elgin / Briscoe / Cole triple threat at Final Battle instead of the unification match is probably the most drastic example. With the big stadium and shooting for the attendance record, this feels like one of those years. Castle vs Cody feels like the money match (if Castle wins obviously; part of me suspects they keep the belt on Cody at least until Danielson's contract status is resolved).

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 pm

maxx_powerz wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 am
Big Red Machine wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 pm
maxx_powerz wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm
They are building Lethal up again now too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lethal get the Final Battle shot with Cody ducking Castle until SCOH.
I hope this doesn't happen. Lethal vs. Cody feels a little too played out this year to main event Final Battle, and SCOH is WAY too long to wait to give Dalton his title shot, especially considering that they've already brought him back and done an angle with Cody. That being said, I have an unfortunate suspicion that you might be right because Final Battle would be one year since the first Lethal vs. Cody match and Supercard of Honor would be one year since Dalton's last title shot, and Delirious seems to like waiting f*cking forever before doing rematches (see: Lethal vs. Briscoe).
In the past, when SBG has really wanted to push SCOH, they tend to run "filler" Final Battle main events imo. I'm glad we got it, but the Generico one off ladder match in 2012 (and then the Lethal rematch at the anniversary show to a lesser extent) to drag Steen's reign out comes to mind. Running the Elgin / Briscoe / Cole triple threat at Final Battle instead of the unification match is probably the most drastic example. With the big stadium and shooting for the attendance record, this feels like one of those years. Castle vs Cody feels like the money match (if Castle wins obviously; part of me suspects they keep the belt on Cody at least until Danielson's contract status is resolved).
I never felt that the Steen vs. Lethal Anniversary Show match was filler (then again, I didn't think Briscoe winning the belt was ever a remote possibility, either), and Cole vs. Jay vs. Elgin didn't feel like filler to me. You can definitely argue that Elgin's involvement was totally unnecessary, but I thought it was a good way to start up the Elgin vs. Cole story while keeping the Cole vs. Briscoe story hot. Hero's title shot at the Anniversary Show was the one that more felt like filler to me, but that was mostly in hindsight, and still feels like it was the right decision because Hero was so hot at the time, coming back from his WWE run.

TYFDK
Posts: 3265
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Soaring Eagle Cup 2017 Official Thread

Post by TYFDK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 am

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/meet-a ... -eagle-cup

Meet and Greet deets.

Looks like Hangman Page and Bully Ray will be in attendance.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests