Take a ballpark guess: how many people do you think watch ROH TV?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Take a ballpark guess: how many people do you think watch ROH TV?

Post by famicommander »

I think it's an interesting question. Let's ignore the TV deals in Canada, Portugal, and India for the time being since I don't really know anything about TV viewership in those places.

This is what Dave Meltzer said about ROH's viewership in May 2015:
“ROH is viewed right now in about 350,000 homes per week that are measured with all the new clearances, but there are some markets they don’t get all the numbers in. We don’t know viewers per home, but total audience would probably be 420,000 to 520,000 that we’re aware of and the real number is probably slightly above that.” – Wrestling Observer Newsletter, May 25, 2015
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... pw-on-axs/

This was only including the Sinclair stations showing ROH as of May 2015, and even then, only the ones measured by Nielsen.

So the absolute minimum baseline from back then was 350,000 people, assuming only one single person per household watching and not including DVR viewership.

Dave gives an estimate for the viewership with more realistic per-houshold numbers as well as the markets not measured by Nielson at 420,000-550,000 and he seems conservative about it.

Let's just say 500,000.

And now we add:
-potential growth in viewers on those same stations to the present day. Overall attendance is up and PPV buys are said to be up, so it's not a stretch to assume that TV viewership could be higher too.
-DVR viewership
-rohwrestling.com viewership
-Fite viewership. This includes their app and their website. Fite did not even exist when Meltzer wrote the article
-Charge viewership. Again, they show it on their TV station and their website on a stream. And again, Charge is a new platform
-any new potential Sinclair affiliates

Things will get a lot more complicated if and when the Tribune merger goes through, but for now let's focus on the present.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Think it could be north of 1,000,000 US viewers per week?

For reference:
-NJPW on AXS is said to average slightly above 200,000 viewers per week
-Lucha Underground on El Rey rarely breaks 200,000
-Impact on Pop is seemingly always in the 250,000-380,000 range

This is, of course, not factoring in any streaming/on demand/DVR viewers for those shows either.
The Dragon Saga

Re: Take a ballpark guess: how many people do you think watch ROH TV?

Post by The Dragon Saga »

You summed up essentially the ballpark of it, but I wouldn't say it's above a million. If it is, that's a great number, but the thing with ROH which I know a lot of people on here don't seem to understand is, a lot of people who watch ROH, attend ROH shows, buy ROH products, they aren't out-and-out wrestling fans as they are "ROH fans", i.e. middle aged men who used to like wrestling and who ROH appeals to due to its old school mentality. Even attending ROH London this past week, I can tell you that it wasn't as much a "pro-wrestling" crowd as it was an "ROH crowd". It was a crowd that went to see ROH put on a show highlighting the ROH product with its stars. I don't think I can take a swing at a number because there are so many different variables to look at, for example, in an investors report a couple years ago it highlighted how ROH was outdrawing news casts - which are local channels most important element - in places such as Texas. I might try and have a look for that report tomorrow if I have some free time.
famicommander

Re: Take a ballpark guess: how many people do you think watch ROH TV?

Post by famicommander »

I could be way off base, but I tend to feel like a very large chunk of people watch via rohwrestling.com. It makes sense considering the website is how they built their fanbase (DVD and merch sales via the web store, iPPVs/VODs, ticket sales, etc).