Global Wars 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by monster mafia »

supersonic wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:09 pm Let's see if ROH will have a way to rebound from the seemingly inevitable decision by NJPW to split away, whenever that may be.
a wizard ladies and gentlemen...a wizard.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

supersonic wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:09 pm Let's see if ROH will have a way to rebound from the seemingly inevitable decision by NJPW to split away, whenever that may be.
Again, I really don't see why everyone sees this as inevitable. NJPW is on AXS for at least the next two years, and they get less than half the viewership there than ROH gets on Sinclair stations alone (so, not including rohwrestling.com, Charge, Fite TV, or their Canadian/Indian/Portuguese channels). They're getting NJPW's stars in front of way, way more people than NJPW World and AXS TV could ever manage.

Even if NJPW runs ten times as many shows in the US next year as they did last year, that's only roughly 1/4 - 1/5 of what ROH runs. ROH gets NJPW stars in front of paying wrestling fans all across the US, pretty much all year round. And they're bringing them to the UK as well.

NJPW is getting a lot out of this relationship. They send their young lions here, they get their talent more dates to work which means more pay, they get some extra content for NJPW World, and it helps them dig in a little more against WWE.

And as we've all noted many times, Gedo can pretty much do whatever he wants in ROH anyway. There is literally no downside to the relationship continuing for NJPW. Maybe at some point down the line they start running US shows at the same time, but it seems like ROH would go out of their way to avoid that.

And even if (likely when) NJPW passes ROH in US popularity, NJPW has worked with smaller promotions in their own market before. They kept NOAH on life support for a long time and are now getting very friendly with Kaientai Dojo.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:15 am I am going to this show officially. This was completely unexpected. A fellow board member, who​ also happens to be a very good friend, bought me a ticket. I am super stoked to see Kenny Omega live in person for the first time. This also happens to be my first ROH show in years. With Omega and the NJPW talent on this show I couldn't have asked for a better show to go to.
The fact that this is only the second time Omega has ever wrestled in Chicago (and the first since Reverse The Curse back in 2009) shouldn't be underestimated. The returns will be diminishing without some sort of storyline or unique match-ups.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

It would be a real shame if logistics of original set up don't allow them to expand the seating capacity. Otherwise, it is a runner up for the missed opportunity of the year to draw a big gate of the year (following NJPW's Long Beach shows).
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Not to dismiss the obvious success this is for ROH: the Chicago show seems ripe for an early scalping market following the overwhelmingly positive response to the G1 Specials. Though success here may have surficial misleadings. Kenny Omega’s draw here signifies his capability of being an American attraction once being brought over to a full-time promotion. One has to wonder to what depth New Japan is reading this. It's also worth considering if ROH even sees any possible drawback in this.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

That is great food for thought Wilson. Never considered the scalper market. I wonder how adept "they" are at following niche trends- like 'hot' secondary wrestling opps. as opposed to summer concerts or major sports.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so they need to release another 1000 tickets for this show...i hope they can
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH Global Wars: Chicago is now sold out. It took just 5 days ....the omega effect
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They have to add more seats. The arena is big enough. They could possibly even outdraw Supercard of Honor.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Flying across the country for this one. I got a decent ticket but looking to buy a better one for the Global Wars show in Illinois. I'll also be at the AAW tournament that Friday and Saturday, if anybody here is going to be there.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:15 am I am going to this show officially. This was completely unexpected. A fellow board member, who​ also happens to be a very good friend, bought me a ticket. I am super stoked to see Kenny Omega live in person for the first time. This also happens to be my first ROH show in years. With Omega and the NJPW talent on this show I couldn't have asked for a better show to go to.
The fact that this is only the second time Omega has ever wrestled in Chicago (and the first since Reverse The Curse back in 2009) shouldn't be underestimated. The returns will be diminishing without some sort of storyline or unique match-ups.
Yeah I agree with you man... but that's expecting too much.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 pm Flying across the country for this one. I got a decent ticket but looking to buy a better one for the Global Wars show in Illinois. I'll also be at the AAW tournament that Friday and Saturday, if anybody here is going to be there.
Only going to the ROH show. If you want to meet up beforehand PM me. That goes for anyone else going as well.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Surprised at the ticket sales, that said, I've seen a number of people on Reddit say their going not just because of the opportunity to see Omega but also because it's a lot easier for them to get to the Odeum than it was Chicago Ridge so I think the change in arena is being devalued a bit here.

I hope they open up more seating, however, they should wait on doing it for a couple weeks, announce a couple matches, maybe even Omega's and then release more seating, their are apparently four unopened sections in the arena their currently in as they actually aren't in the hall that seats 5,5000.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Laviemarg wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am That is great food for thought Wilson. Never considered the scalper market. I wonder how adept "they" are at following niche trends- like 'hot' secondary wrestling opps. as opposed to summer concerts or major sports.
I agree with Lavie. I think most general scalpers will assume that New Japan is hot (which is true), but they won't understand that taking just one of the eight top guys that New Japan brought in and sticking him in a different promotion will still be hot.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 am Surprised at the ticket sales, that said, I've seen a number of people on Reddit say their going not just because of the opportunity to see Omega but also because it's a lot easier for them to get to the Odeum than it was Chicago Ridge so I think the change in arena is being devalued a bit here.

I hope they open up more seating, however, they should wait on doing it for a couple weeks, announce a couple matches, maybe even Omega's and then release more seating, their are apparently four unopened sections in the arena their currently in as they actually aren't in the hall that seats 5,5000.
Wow, the 2nd paragraph is really helpful as I have not seen anyone mention that before. Do you know the name of the area/hall in the arena that they'll be in? I wonder how many seats the 4 unopened sections hold.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Roughly 300 - 500. If you look at the ShowClix website their the top sections on each side, none of them were available to purchase.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am
Laviemarg wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am That is great food for thought Wilson. Never considered the scalper market. I wonder how adept "they" are at following niche trends- like 'hot' secondary wrestling opps. as opposed to summer concerts or major sports.
I agree with Lavie. I think most general scalpers will assume that New Japan is hot (which is true), but they won't understand that taking just one of the eight top guys that New Japan brought in and sticking him in a different promotion will still be hot.
I would also assume that scalpers aren't generally researching to all that fine of granularity. However, once an item starts moving, it makes the likelihood of scalping much greater. I think I recall sports scalping being a little bit like the scalping done in tech/gadgetry. That practice would explain why these tickets are moving much quicker than what we're used to seeing.

Still, the bottom line doesn't change much for ROH. Maybe they miss a bit on the underground market, but they are successfully selling out one of their biggest shows ever in record time.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Between the G1 in USA Specials and now Global Wars, it seems clear that ROH+NJPW have underestimated Kenny Omega's drawing power.

Better than renting a huge building and then putting 350 fans in the seats like TNA but it's never a good policy to have to turn away people trying to give you money.

Seems clear they should have gone with the 5,500 seat setup. It would be amazing to see that many people at an ROH show.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I just hope ROH realizes they should try to book Omega as much as they possibly can, giving him however much money he wants. There's no way they can't do it.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Don't forget who else is noticing: