Global Wars 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by cgstong »

This October, Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling team up again to bring the best wrestlers from around the globe to compete in the United States. If the past is any indication, you can bet that these will be some of the greatest bouts in wrestling history and you will not want to miss the chance to be there live!

Three events in three days – October 12th in Buffalo, NY, October 13th in Pittsburgh, PA, and October 14th in Columbus, OH – the tour brings the combined stars of ROH and NJPW to these cities for the first time. At this time, Ring of Honor is proud to announce that competing from NJPW, fans can expect to see the current ROH Television champion - KUSHIDA; The Killer Elite Squad; Hiromu Takahashi; and FIRST TIME IN THE USA – Yoshi Hashi. Also expected to appear, ROH World Champion Cody, ROH Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks, ROH Six Man Champions Dalton Castle and the Boys, Bully Ray, The Briscoes, Jay Lethal, and many more.

Tickets for these three events go on sale for Ringside Members next Wednesday, July 19th at 10:00 AM ET and for the General Public on Friday, July 21st at 10:00 AM ET.

Global Wars Tour 2017

Thursday, Oct. 12th – Buffalo, NY @ Buffalo Riverworks - 7:00 PM Bell Time
Friday , Oct. 13th - Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE - 7:00 PM Bell Time
Saturday, Oct. 14th – Columbus, OH @ Express Live! - 4:30 PM Bell Time

Ticket On Sale Dates:

Ringside Members- July 19th @ 10:00 AM ET
General Public- July 21st @ 10:00 AM ET
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
monster mafia

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by monster mafia »

The Honor Nation in Chicago has always been one of the best and most passionate fan bases so ROH is bringing this show – as the capstone to the already announced Global Wars tour! The event will take place at a NEW LOCATION in Villa Park, Ill., with ROH debuting at the larger Odeum Expo Center, aimed at providing a greater experience to more fans in the Chicagoland area.

It wouldn’t be enough to just add a show for the Chicago fans though. Ring of Honor is happy to also announce that Kenny Omega, the inaugural IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion, will defend his title for the first time on US. soil at Global Wars 2017: Chicago on Sunday, Oct. 15.

Omega’s challenger, as well as many other Global Wars announcements, will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Tickets go on sale on THIS Wednesday, Aug. 2 at 10am Eastern for RINGSIDE MEMBERS and Friday, Aug. 4 at 10am for the GENERAL PUBLIC.

Omega, a member of Bullet Club’s Elite, won a two-day tournament to crown the first IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion as part of New Japan Pro Wrestling’s first shows in the U.S. on July 1-2 in Long Beach, Calif. “The Cleaner” defeated former ROH World Champions Michael Elgin and Jay Lethal in the first two rounds before beating Tomohiro Ishii in the finals.

Stay tuned to ROHWrestling.com for more announcements regarding this huge event.

TICKET ON SALE TIMES:
RINGSIDE MEMBERS - Wednesday, August 2nd at 10am Eastern
GENERAL PUBLIC - Friday, August 4th at 10am Eastern

Global Wars 2017: Chicago
Live Event
Local Time: Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017, 7pm bell time, 5:00 doors.
Odeum Expo Center
1033 North Villa Avenue
Villa Park, Illinois 60181
http://www.odeumexpo.com
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Cool. It will be interesting to see if Omega defends the title against someone from ROH or against Elgin (since Big Mike defeated him in the G1).
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Awesome that ROH is debuting at the Odeum (wonder if that means goodbye to the Frontier Fieldhouse totally?) that was ECW's Chicagoland venue so it has some wrestling history.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

it is a 2,500 building or im wrong?
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Could be just for this show,. Will hopefully be big enough of a card to warrant a big place like that.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am it is a 2,500 building or im wrong?
It can seat up to 5,500 officially according to the website (ECW pay per view had 6,000 officially years ago. That may have been hyped up numbers or logistical/fire code changes that has changed capacity).

Styles vs. Joe did about 450 in the building for TNA years ago.

It could be the biggest ROH show, attendance wise, ever. Let's see...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Presuming there isn’t many more New Japan talents announced, this is actually a pretty bold move. Success here would probably be the clearest indication where ROH is in the market today, more so than the SCOH and the more cross-promotional shows. (And—with the greed for executive change—I hope it fails.)
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

omega is a massive draw...lets wait and see the card.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Definitely an upgrade over the Frontier Fieldhouse. Should look better on TV too. I would be shocked if they get 2,500 there. Having said that, Kenny Omega should drive the gate up.

Side note. Got stranded there in high school with my buddies. We decided to get ripped and go to the Haunted House they also host there during October. I don't remember how we made it back.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Should be able to at least draw impressive numbers in Chicagoland.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Kenny Omega WON'T defend the IWGP US Title in Chicago.
Ring of Honor issues a correction Tuesday Morning regarding yesterday’s announcement for the Global Wars event in Chicago.

It was announced in error that Kenny Omega would be defending the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship. However, at this time, there is no confirmation on the US title being defended on October 15th.

Nonetheless, it is indeed confirmed that Kenny Omega will be competing at this event, as well as the Young Bucks, Marty Scurll, Cody, and many other stars from NJPW and ROH in what will be a very special night for Chicago.
MiW

Post by MiW »

Anyone have any idea how big this Chicago show will be? I don't follow roh very closely, but i've always wanted to see Liger in person. Do you think other njpw guys will be there?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

MiW wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 am Anyone have any idea how big this Chicago show will be? I don't follow roh very closely, but i've always wanted to see Liger in person. Do you think other njpw guys will be there?
The press release said that other NJPW guys would be there. You'd get KUSHIDA for sure, possibly Naito and Los Ingobernables, I'm pretty sure Hiromu and YOSHI-HASHI are confirmed as well. I'd go.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

MiW wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 am Anyone have any idea how big this Chicago show will be? I don't follow roh very closely, but i've always wanted to see Liger in person. Do you think other njpw guys will be there?
Chicago is the biggest market of the tour and the only show with Omega, so I think it will be the best event of the tour. I highly recomend you to assist. Watching NJPW talent live is an awesome experience and you'll enjoy it. I don't know if you'll see a classic, but I'm sure you'll see a buch of good-great matches and the atmosphere will be great.

ROH has announced: Kenny Omega, KUSHIDA, Lancer Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr, Hiromu Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI, Cody, The Young Bucks, Dalton Castle, The Boys, Bully Ray, Marty Scurll, The Briscoes & Jay Lethal.

That's a great roster and, If I were you, I'll buy a ticket. KUSHIDA is one of the best Jr's in the world and he always gives the best matches outside of Japan. Archer & Davey are a strong heel team and Takahashi is a crazy man, if you haven't see him, go and see some of his stuff in Japan. And Liger, he isn't announced yet. Maybe they'll add him in the future, but I can't confirm it.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Definitely go. I drove several hours alone both way for Smackdown 900 because I was certain it was going to be my last chance to see The Undertaker live, and I was so happy I did. If you can go to this show, go see Liger in person.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Chicago tickets now available for Ringside members.
MiW

Post by MiW »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:35 am
Chicago is the biggest market of the tour and the only show with Omega, so I think it will be the best event of the tour. I highly recomend you to assist. Watching NJPW talent live is an awesome experience and you'll enjoy it. I don't know if you'll see a classic, but I'm sure you'll see a buch of good-great matches and the atmosphere will be great.

ROH has announced: Kenny Omega, KUSHIDA, Lancer Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr, Hiromu Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI, Cody, The Young Bucks, Dalton Castle, The Boys, Bully Ray, Marty Scurll, The Briscoes & Jay Lethal.

That's a great roster and, If I were you, I'll buy a ticket. KUSHIDA is one of the best Jr's in the world and he always gives the best matches outside of Japan. Archer & Davey are a strong heel team and Takahashi is a crazy man, if you haven't see him, go and see some of his stuff in Japan. And Liger, he isn't announced yet. Maybe they'll add him in the future, but I can't confirm it.

Thanks. I wasn't going to but I caved. Should be a nice weekend with AAW friday and saturday and then this on sunday. Haven't been to an roh show since Death before dishonor 2 part 1.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

US Title likely to be on the line but NJPW doesn't care to publicly confirm more than one defense at a time. ROH has irritated NJPW over the issue in the past.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm omega is a massive draw...lets wait and see the card.
He's a draw, but nowhere near enough of a draw to sell out a 5,000+ building solely by himself.

They are advertising this as a live event, ergo, a house show. Unless they change it to an iPPV or I suppose maybe even a straight up pay-per-view and can get Omega a match with meaning, I don't see this show drawing some outlandish number. It totally depends on the rest of the card to be fair.

EDIT: That said, I just saw a post on Reddit that says apparently just under 1,000 tickets have been sold already for the show with almost all the ringside seating bought, which is pretty surprising considering the tickets are only available to ringside members.