Global Wars 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:18 am This looks pretty much like a New Japan tour for Omega.
And that's the primary issue. Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Fukushima, Sapporo, Nagoya see Kenny almost all the time. Buffalo and Columbus might not see him again for many years, if ever. Give those places a match with him that stands out as an obvious main event or semi. It's not like there aren't other options, even if you can't more than one match a singles encounter. Try Kenny/Bucks vs. MCMG/KUSHIDA, Kenny/Marty vs. Ospreay/White, Kenny/Cody vs. Addiction, or give Silas the rub by making him Kenny's tag partner on one night.

And to those who are saying that these are just house shows--then why were any of you excited for the announcement of Kenny Omega in the first place? Of course these matches are fine, but they leave a lot to the imagination. At least give a veritable star like Kenny the charity of star-booking in his first real return tour.
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm Suzuki vs. Silas should be a great match, but this is absolutely the wrong time for Silas to take a loss.
Smdh. I didn't even think about that.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Seems like the Global Wars shows have always been more tag team based while the WOTW shows have been more dream match based.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

BTW this has the weakest ttalent lineup all the WOTW/GW tours since they began. Suzuki, KUSHIDA, Hiromu Takahashi great but no Liger, Okada, Tanahashi, or the rest of LIJ. No Ishii or Goto.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

MAIN EVENT
MARK BRISCOE & WAR MACHINE (WARBEARD HANSON & ROWE) vs. SUZUKI-GUN (NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPION MINORU SUZUKI & IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS KILLER ELITE SQUAD, DAVEY BOY SMITH JR. & LANCE ARCHER)

maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I thought when these shows were announced we were all in agreement that using B level NJPW talent to give some B level market shows a little more juice than Road to Whatever or Reloaded: Pittsburgh was a great idea. Did Omega getting booked change things? As long as you are confident of being able to book Omega more going forward, there's no reason to use up your big Omega / Elite dream matches for these shows.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm BTW this has the weakest ttalent lineup all the WOTW/GW tours since they began. Suzuki, KUSHIDA, Hiromu Takahashi great but no Liger, Okada, Tanahashi, or the rest of LIJ. No Ishii or Goto.
These aren't supposed to be giant supercards, I don't think. They're showcasing a few of the other NJPW stars who don't usually come to ROH (and KUSHIDA) and booking them in cool matches.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

All right, so at least Delirious knows The Elite/Kingdom isn't a main event match. War Machine/Mark vs KES/Minoru should kick all sorts of ass. Still not happy that they chose Kenny being in the ring with the zero momentum Kingdom (and I even like Taven).
maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 pm I thought when these shows were announced we were all in agreement that using B level NJPW talent to give some B level market shows a little more juice than Road to Whatever or Reloaded: Pittsburgh was a great idea. Did Omega getting booked change things?
Honestly, maybe. Don't bog down a star while they're still a star. ROH could potentially do as well advertising Kenny alone as ROH's now regular cross-promotional shows, given his being in legitimate marquee matches. Tell your audience that, yes, Kenny coming over is a big deal.
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 am another one.. :lol:
BTE angle....flip gordon revenge!!

My favourite match announced so far. Been wanting to see flip face bullet club for a while now :)
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Wilson wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm Suzuki vs. Silas should be a great match, but this is absolutely the wrong time for Silas to take a loss.
I imagine Lethal will distract Silas leading into the finish, but yeah, Silas shouldn't be losing. I could maybe see him getting a shocking win if it's non-title. I'm very excited to see this match though, I just wish it was in Chicago :lol:
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think Lethal and Silas are done with each other. I think each guy doing increasingly dickish things right in front of the referee until he finally gets sick of it and DQs both of them would be lazy, but it could be kind of fun, and better than jobbing Silas.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Hoping we get Hiromu vs. Ospreay in Columbus or Chicago.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm BTW this has the weakest ttalent lineup all the WOTW/GW tours since they began. Suzuki, KUSHIDA, Hiromu Takahashi great but no Liger, Okada, Tanahashi, or the rest of LIJ. No Ishii or Goto.
So instead of seeing the same guys over and over?

What assholes. Seriously, what a bunch of dicks! I mean, who wants to see Minoru Suzuki anyway?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Re-read my post, Suzuki coming is awesome. My issue is Yano and Yoshi-Hashi. Couldn't bring better CHAOS members like Ishii and Goto? These shows are supposed to be special and we get Yano and Tacos.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Goto would have been better served being on these shows than on the bigger tour earlier this year. Tanahashi and LIJ overshadowed him big time.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm Cheap to produce.

Plus if you think that any of these matches are of a standard not befitting it then you're taking a very intentionally negative outlook which is more of your own issue than anything else. Thus far all announced matches look good and more than worthy of advertisement.
They mostly all look "fine." But if I'm spending my money on a product, I want something more than "fine." You wouldn't pay for a New Japan "Road to..." show, would you?
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 pm I thought when these shows were announced we were all in agreement that using B level NJPW talent to give some B level market shows a little more juice than Road to Whatever or Reloaded: Pittsburgh was a great idea. Did Omega getting booked change things? As long as you are confident of being able to book Omega more going forward, there's no reason to use up your big Omega / Elite dream matches for these shows.
The problem is that it feels like they're not using the New Japan talent well. When the shows were announced, the New Japan crew coming over was much smaller than it is now (looking back at the beginning of the thread it was just KUSHIDA, K.E.S., Hiromu, Omega, and YOSHI-HASHI). Now we've got Yano, Suzuki, Trent, more Omega... the show feels very bogged down with these big pointless tag matches (and you know there are going to be a lot more when you look at all of the pointless undercard dreck guys on the ROH side of things. You're right that there is no reason to just spam out Omega dream matches in these smaller markets (especially if you just want to test the effect his very presence will have on a smaller market), but you've got to deliver something that feels both exciting and like the New Japan talent are being used well.
How many times have we seen K.E.S. vs. War Machine already? The matches are usually pretty good if they're given time but can we please get something different on occasion? I, for one, would love to see K.E.S. vs. the Briscoes. And sticking Suzuki in this match- or in ANY six-man tag- seems like an absolutely massive waste. I'm tired of ROH bringing over WAY too much New Japan talent at once and just stuffing them all in six or eight man tags. We see that all the time in New Japan itself. I don't want to see it in ROH. The matches will probably be slightly better in New Japan because they'll get 12-14 minutes rather than 7-10, but the fact remains that it's just a bunch of tag matches with no consequences whatsoever. It makes the New Japan talents feel less special, which is the exact opposite of what you should be trying to do with a B crew.
Big Red Machine

ActionJeffson wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 pm
Wilson wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm
I imagine Lethal will distract Silas leading into the finish, but yeah, Silas shouldn't be losing. I could maybe see him getting a shocking win if it's non-title. I'm very excited to see this match though, I just wish it was in Chicago :lol:
Please don't tell me this feud is still going on. They just had two big weapons matches and Silas won both of them.
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm I think Lethal and Silas are done with each other. I think each guy doing increasingly dickish things right in front of the referee until he finally gets sick of it and DQs both of them would be lazy, but it could be kind of fun, and better than jobbing Silas.
Even better than that would be not booking the match.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:54 pm Image

Now THESE are matches that I want to see.