Kenny Omega Matchups

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Kenny Omega Matchups

Post by Montana »

I'd been said that Kenny Omega would like appear in ROH later this year. Who would you like to see him face off with?
Big Red Machine

Re: KennY Omega Matchups

Post by Big Red Machine »

Ospreay is the top name that comes to mind. With Cole gone and Scrull being impossible due to being in Bullet Club, I guess other than Ospreay I'd like to see him against... um... the top names that keep coming to mind are Jay White, KUSHIDA, & Hiromu, LOL.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'd still like to get the Omega vs. Castle match that didn't happen because of Visa issues.
Big Red Machine

kovs27 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 am I'd still like to get the Omega vs. Castle match that didn't happen because of Visa issues.
That's the one match I'm really hoping they won't do, but I'm 100% certain they will.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

God this roster fucking sucks.

vs. Ospreay
vs. Scurll
vs. Castle

The Elite vs. Best Friends and a fitting 3rd wheel

Seriously don't give a shit about any other matchups for Omega.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Jay Lethal without selling a rib injury
Silas Young
Dalton Castle
Marty Scurll
Kenny King
Punishment Martinez
Chuck Taylor

And just because I'm a Stevie Richards mark, Stevie. I don't care how you justify it. I don't care what kind of match.
Big Red Machine

Good call on Kenny King. Those two are always great together.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Other than a Lethal rematch, I'm also drawing a blank. I guess I would also like to see Main Event Kenny squash Martinez or something?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You couldn't get into Omega vs Castle or Omega vs Silas? Jay Briscoe?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:06 pm You couldn't get into Omega vs Castle or Omega vs Silas? Jay Briscoe?
For Castle and Silas, I think they would be tough sells, even as semi-main events. You don't want deliberately to book Omega into matches that are pale versions of his usual matches. His phenomenal workrate is such a crucial component to his flash of momentum--steering towards Omega-lite just hurts everyone

I was clamoring for a Jay Briscoe cross-promotional singles attraction in 2014 and 2015. It doesn't have the same flavor now, but I can still see both guys being motivated to put an excellent match together. Good call.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think Castle and Young could both hang with Kenny in the ring. It's just that they two haven't been presented to the audience as being on his level as far as their booking goes. I think the matches themselves would be fantastic even if there weren't necessarily any tension about the outcome or a coherent storyline to go along with it.
Wilson

Re: Kenny Omega Matchups

Post by Wilson »

The matches would definitely be fun, but you would devalue the title and Omega really quickly. Booked as they are, it would make Omega look weak to even go twenty minutes with them, which, considering ROH's current match beat, maybe that's not their biggest concern.

Still, this is probably all moot. Omega will probably only have a few singles matches in ROH. Likely against New Japan's preferred talent, whomever they might be, ROH or otherwise.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:23 pm The matches would definitely be fun, but you would devalue the title and Omega really quickly. Booked as they are, it would make Omega look weak to even go twenty minutes with them, which, considering ROH's current match beat, maybe that's not their biggest concern.

Still, this is probably all moot. Omega will probably only have a few singles matches in ROH. Likely against New Japan's preferred talent, whomever they might be, ROH or otherwise.
I agree with this. Great fantasy booking but bottom line is that Gedo books who Omega faces
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I think Omega vs. Jay Briscoe would be pretty neat, and they could get a nice little feud out of it. Maybe have them wrestle to a time limit draw on ROH TV, then the two face each other at an ROH PPV. Besides that I'd like Omega vs. Ospreay, Castle, Martinez, Kenny King, Mark Briscoe, Jon Gresham, Flip Gordon (for the harmless ribs), and Lethal again.

Wait until they announce Omega vs. Taven, just to piss everyone off.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Omega vs. Mr. Kennedy or bust.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Omega vs. Cheeseburger or bust.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I have an idea...we should all start making asinine suggestions for opponents and say "or bust" at the end.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH likes to make weird matchups whenever they get top talent to come in. Like when Shibata came into ROH, first guy he wrestled was SILAS YOUNG. And first guy Tanahashi wrestled in ROH was Mike Bennett, right? So I'm sure they'll do something nobody expects like Kenny Omega vs Punishment Martinez. But I'm still looking forward to whatever happens. Hopefully he is on the Vegas PPV.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

It's not that they "like" to throw a random dude at a big name, but more that they're trying to protect top talent who are pushed. Only Briscoe and maybe Lethal would feel like big enough match-ups and are "available", but it's most likely going to be NJPW guys like Ospreay, Trent, and whoever else. I mean, do you think Omega would even bother showing up if you throw him Budget Undertaker, a comedy dork like Castle and the boys, or an undercarder like Silas Young?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I wish Roddy were still here. He's by far the biggest loss and the one I miss the most.