Michael elgin vs davey richards..match of the year so far

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
fm20000

Re: Michael elgin vs davey richards..match of the year so fa

Post by fm20000 »

braves87 wrote:
WWE has adopted this slow as snails style of wrestling. Spot-rest-spot-rest-spot-rest. See the Rock/Cena match for another example....
You mean like the last half of Davey vs Eddie from Final Battle?
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Not only is it the match of the year(if you say otherwise, you watch wrestling for other reasons than the wrestling), it's the best ROH match in 5 years. I'm as bored with wrestling as Gloria James is a crackwhore, this match had me on my feet high fiving and shaking my head in amazement. I was convinced the belt was changing and there's no convincing me otherwise.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Davey and Eddie at their worst are still faster snails than Taker and Trips at their best.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

How would you guys rank Davey/Elgin among other ROH classics? Top Ten of all time? To be honest, right now it might be in my top 5 of the best ROH matches ever
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

JSWO wrote:Not only is it the match of the year(if you say otherwise, you watch wrestling for other reasons than the wrestling), it's the best ROH match in 5 years. I'm as bored with wrestling as Gloria James is a crackwhore, this match had me on my feet high fiving and shaking my head in amazement. I was convinced the belt was changing and there's no convincing me otherwise.

JSWO, really glad to read how much you enjoyed this :D Agreed that it is easily MOTY so far.
Nigel LikesGuinness

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:How would you guys rank Davey/Elgin among other ROH classics? Top Ten of all time? To be honest, right now it might be in my top 5 of the best ROH matches ever
Top 5 maybe even top 3
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:How would you guys rank Davey/Elgin among other ROH classics? Top Ten of all time? To be honest, right now it might be in my top 5 of the best ROH matches ever
Totally unfair question, gotta let this one marinate for a while before adding it anywhere other than best match this year.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

JSWO wrote:
Totally unfair question, gotta let this one marinate for a while before adding it anywhere other than best match this year.
Exactly. Remember how in 2009 HBK/Taker was everyones' favorite match? Now it's rarely mentioned.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:
Top 5 maybe even top 3
What?! Is this really happening?
I havent seen it, so this isnt a disagreement, Im just making sure i read this correctly. So youre saying Danielson/KENTA, Cage of Death, Unified, Ladder War, Black/Richards, Briscoes/MCMG, Tag Title Classic, KENTA/Ki.... this match was better than all of those?
braves87
Banned
Banned

Post by braves87 »

I am a huge sucker for big man vs little man matches, especially when the big man is athletic. This match reminded me of the old Vader vs Sting wars.
User banned for blatant trolling.
Nigel LikesGuinness

RoaringElbow wrote:
Top 5 maybe even top 3
I havent seen it, so this isnt a disagreement, Im just making sure i read this correctly. So youre saying Danielson/KENTA, Cage of Death, Unified, Ladder War, Black/Richards, Briscoes/MCMG, Tag Title Classic, KENTA/Ki.... this match was better than all of those?
1.Kenta vs Ki
2.tag title classic
3.Unified
4.ladder war
5. its on the list along with joe vs kobashi, Black vs Richards, punk vs joe, Danielson + Joe vs. Kenta + Marifuji, CM Punk + Ace Steele vs. BJ Whitmer + Dan Maff and the DG 6 man

hmmmmm second thoughts its outside top 5 but not by much, should probably watch it again, might be over hyping it due to how recent it is in my memory. Very Very good match though
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

SteenMark23 wrote:
YimYac wrote:Really? Taker vs Triple H MOTY? I mean I liked it but it didn't really blow me away like HBK/Taker.

The storytelling was amazing but the wrestling part wasn't all that good.
.. You do realize that the POINT of Pro Wrestling is to TELL A STORY, correct?
The point is to tell a story AND have good wrestling.

Notice that HBK and Taker did this flawlessly.

They didn't stall every 10 seconds.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

YimYac wrote: Notice that HBK and Taker did this flawlessly.

They didn't stall every 10 seconds.
Yeah I disagree, Amazing match. Shawn vs. Taker was an amazing match to.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

TreeOfWHOA! wrote:Sadly Meltzer won't give this match ***** because it didn't have one of those "cute" finishes he has a hard on for as of late. Now if Davey would have wispered "Good night" or "I'm sorry" at Elgin before the final blow maybe it would get some consideration for being a 5 star match in his eyes.
If you want I can proofread your apology before you send it out to Meltzer.

So now that Davey proved his worth as one of the very best wrestlers in Ring of Honor history for the 56th time (or is it the 57th?), how much days worth of anti-shit-on powder does that buy him?
RobOfAllTrades

Post by RobOfAllTrades »

^^ just because Dave went 5 it doesn't mean it is. Hell his ****3/4 matches often trump his 5 star ones. Aries/Nigel and Morishima/Danielson are top 3 best matches in ROH history and yet they only get the border rating. I had Elgin/Davey ****1/4
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

RoaringElbow wrote:
Top 5 maybe even top 3
1. Danielson/ KENTA
2. KENTA/ Ki
3. Unified
4. Ladder War
5. Davey vs Elgin
but like somebody has mentioned, it's probably better to let the match sink for a couple of months
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

Mdodmod wrote:
TreeOfWHOA! wrote:Sadly Meltzer won't give this match ***** because it didn't have one of those "cute" finishes he has a hard on for as of late. Now if Davey would have wispered "Good night" or "I'm sorry" at Elgin before the final blow maybe it would get some consideration for being a 5 star match in his eyes.
If you want I can proofread your apology before you send it out to Meltzer.

So now that Davey proved his worth as one of the very best wrestlers in Ring of Honor history for the 56th time (or is it the 57th?), how much days worth of anti-shit-on powder does that buy him?
I was surprised Dave gave it 5 stars, And i'm very happy he did. As for your comment about Davey when did i ever shit on Daveys in ring ability? Only thing is dislike was A.The Howling(which looks to be gone now, Thank God) B. The Blonde tips/Lines shaved into his head,Trying to make him into a pretty boy(Also gone now) and C. His stupid MMA faction with Kozina and O'Reilly(looks to be gone I HOPE). But i have never doubted Daveys in ring abilty EVER! ..And i hope you didn't take my doubt about Meltzer giving this match 5 stars, Like i didn't think it was worthy? Because as i said in another thread it's the best match i've seen in 5yrs and i was front row for both "Tag Title Classic" and "Black/Richards".
mulkeybros

Post by mulkeybros »

Watched this yesterday. Just an absolutely fantastic match. The one-count spot with Elgin spitting at Richards was a true "Holy Shit" moment. Kelly and McGuinness did a great job on commentary too. They actually added to a match of this caliber, which shows just how good of a team they are becoming.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

wait. Meltzer gave this 5 stars?
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

RoaringElbow wrote:wait. Meltzer gave this 5 stars?
Yep.. or as someone would say, "YES! YES! YES! YES!"